HELP: Please recommend subwoofer settings.

R

replyme

Audiophyte
Hi there everyone.
I could really use some help from anyone who can guide me in setting up my subwoofer. I am technically challenged in this area so any help will be appreciated.
I have a little home theater set up in my living room measuring about 15' x 12' mainly for movie viewing. I am set up for Dolby Atmos so I have the regular 7.1 and additional speakers on the ceiling as well as front height speakers.
Almost all my speakers are Definitive. My front speakers are the BP10's and my center is the CLR 3000. I've been getting differing advice from different sources about how to set my system up. I'm so confused now because some are telling me to set my speaker to large and others are saying set them to small. Since this is a Definitive forum I hope I can get some clear and definite answers.
My subwoofer is the Martin Logan Depth i hooked up to the Emotiva XMC2 using the LFE. Right now my BP 10's are set as large and my CLR 3000 is set as large. The CLR3000 is connected to the amplifier by speaker wire with all three frequencies included low mid and high. No RCA connection from speaker to amp. This was recommended by someone at Definitive Technologies. Today someone else tells me to set my fronts and center as small. I hope someone from this forum can help me. Since I am technically challenged I would really appreciate a step by step guidance especially how to set up the subwoofer which has quite a few settings to deal with.
Please help.
If more information is needed please let me know.
I look forward to hearing all your expert advice and I thank you all in advance.
Please stay safe everyone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just do it both ways and see if you have a preference. I'd probably start with setting the mains to small (i.e. use bass management) and start with a crossover of 80hz. Then try the speakers set to large instead, see if you have any sort of clear preference. I've seen several times recommendations to avoid the powered woofers in the DT speakers with the sub pre-outs, and if you have a good sub I'd just use the good sub. There's really no "rule", YMMV.

Jenzard

Jenzard

Audiophyte
Saw the video the other day about setting the LFE setting in AVR to 120Hz. I previously had the same thought as most that it was my low pass filter for the system and had it set to 80Hz. K, so i have switched it, but curious what setting you would set the crossover on the sub itself to? Currently have my manual dial between 40 and 60Hz...or should I turn off the manual crossover and let the AVR do it? I have a JL Audio E Sub E 112.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw the video the other day about setting the LFE setting in AVR to 120Hz. I previously had the same thought as most that it was my low pass filter for the system and had it set to 80Hz. K, so i have switched it, but curious what setting you would set the crossover on the sub itself to? Currently have my manual dial between 40 and 60Hz...or should I turn off the manual crossover and let the AVR do it? I have a JL Audio E Sub E 112.
Yes the LPF of LFE does confuse many. I'd maximize the low pass filter on your sub, no need to cascade the filters, just let the avr do it. If using an "LFE" input some subs do it automatically, don't know what JL's practice is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis