Help, please... JBL e250p, Klipsch ksw10, Definitive Tech ProSub 80, Paradigm PDR10?

S

summit

Audiophyte
In my area, the only subwoofers I can get is either JBL e250p, Klipsch ksw10, Definitive Tech prosub 80. Ordering online is not an option since nobody wants to deliver to my country anything bigger than a CD.

My listening area is about 3m X 3.5m that opens in one side to the dining of the same size. Ceiling is about 3.2m. I will be using it mostly for HT, some music duty for jazz and some light rock. It will be placed only a max of 3 inches from the back wall.

I already heard all and seems to fit the bill except for the prosub 80, or maybe not just properly adjusted. Anyway, looking at the net I came across great reviews of these, the most is for the JBL and Paradigm. But there is also the few comments about problems about JBL amps failure. And Klipsch being hard to place. And definitive Tech blowing fuses.

By the way, Im worried about back ported due to my placement of only 3 inches away from the back wall.

Please give your thoughts on these products. Would appreciate if you keep your comments only to these products.

Thanks.

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
While I haven't had a chance to audition the others you mentioned I have owned the JBL and would NOT recommend it. This sub is boomy and didn't have much output under 30 hz in my room. Although it's output was nice and offered decent slam, the sound was muddy and uncontrolled.

I've heard some nice reviews on the klipsch even tho it's tough to place (almost all subs are tough to place;) ) I recently found the ideal location for my twin onix xsubs after several days of tweaking. Try talking with the guys over at www.av123.com, they maybe able to work something out in regards to shipping. Right now there are some Bstock xsubs. pick up a couple.;) for that size room they'll put down some major thump.

JR

S

summit

Audiophyte
Thanks, keep them coming.

Thanks.

Anyone else want to take a jab at it? Please......

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of those the ones I woulnd pick is the JBL and the Paradigm

summit said:
In my area, the only subwoofers I can get is either JBL e250p, Klipsch ksw10, Definitive Tech prosub 80. Ordering online is not an option since nobody wants to deliver to my country anything bigger than a CD.

My listening area is about 3m X 3.5m that opens in one side to the dining of the same size. Ceiling is about 3.2m. I will be using it mostly for HT, some music duty for jazz and some light rock. It will be placed only a max of 3 inches from the back wall.

I already heard all and seems to fit the bill except for the prosub 80, or maybe not just properly adjusted. Anyway, looking at the net I came across great reviews of these, the most is for the JBL and Paradigm. But there is also the few comments about problems about JBL amps failure. And Klipsch being hard to place. And definitive Tech blowing fuses.

By the way, Im worried about back ported due to my placement of only 3 inches away from the back wall.

Please give your thoughts on these products. Would appreciate if you keep your comments only to these products.

Thanks.

As stated, the JBL is boomy and the PDR is anemic and weak. When I went sub hunting, I audtioned a Paradigm PDR10, Axiom Ep175 and PSB Subsonic 5. I ended up with the PSB and never ever looked back.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
Go for the Def Tech. I bought one a couple years ago and have always been impressed at its performance vs. price ratio. I have thought about selling it from time to time but always talk myself out of it because it is such a suprisingly good performer.

S

summit

Audiophyte
Much appreciated.

Thanks again. I'll visit the stores again and give these items one last testing then I'll make up my mind.

Thanks.

Zuke

Zuke

Junior Audioholic
Avoid the JBL and Klipsch.

My 1st choice would be the Def Tech.

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
I found that the JBL is resonably tight, but it does not go very low. I tried on the opening scenes in Toy Story 2, it drops the lows in many places.
I listened to Aprerion S-10, and it is very tight and good look beautiful.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
Well I found the JBL E250P boomy in a HUGE bestbuy audition room.. I mean HUGE!!! The boominess was disappointing.. but what amazed me was that it filled that room with boomy bass! :eek:

S

summit

Audiophyte
Thank you all.

I finally bought d' sub. And surprise, surpise, I ended up with JBL e250p.
Klipsch model were nowhere near as musical and so does Paradigm model. I wasn't able to try Definitive Tech since it run out of stock and the store is not a dealer of that brand anymore so no more definitive tech for a while.

In my humble setup, I manage to tinker the JBL e250p to add just the right bass, seamless and transparent to my front. I normally listen to stereo mode without a sub (before i sold my old sub of course) since my old sub just cant cut it. But with the e250p, it added depth and weight, subtle and never overbearing, just the way I like it. Its like its never there, but turn the sub off and you will definitely notice the changes. I have listened mostly to jazz and some light rock, maybe the muddiness that most have observed on this model is on some type of music that is very fast and dynamic, that I need to try later.

As for movie, its awesome. Just tame the volume knob otherwise it becomes boomy. I did notice that it does not seem to go very low. maybe just 28hz, not 25hz. At 25hz, its almost inaudible to be totally useless. I'm not complaining since I already noticed this at the store after 3 hours of auditioning X 2 visits.

Comparing with MK and Velodyne models I heard, this model bites the dust, but i'm not willing to pork out X 2 to 3 of what I paid for the JBL.

Again, thank you all and till next time. As for me, I'm getting ready to rumble, prime time.

Cheers.

S

summit

Audiophyte
Ps

And as for durability, now that remains to be seen...

I hope I get at least 5 years or my WAF gonna kick me out of the house. And yes, they are indeed made in Mexico, sticker at the back says so. Viva Mexico, or bust...

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
Enjoy summit. Always good to buy what you feel good about it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis