help needed with designing a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
HEY i need help with designing a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter for my custom sonotube subwoofer does anyone know how to make one iv seen a lot of online calculators but none the can do 8th order

this is what i need for my sub build after modeling in winisd

does anyone have the means to model me a blueprint with

Inductors an Capacitors values an etc. that i would need to do this

to either follow or send to a custom service that could build me one

i need two different diagrams one with this config

8th order butterworth highpass at 17hz with
4ohm input from the amp at 1600watts an output to the driver at 2ohms at 1600watts

an one with this config

8th order butterworth highpass at 17hz with
2ohm input from the amp at 800watts an output to the driver at 2ohms at 800watts

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't use a passive filter for this- too much insertion loss and phase shift, among other issues.

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
whats the diff between active an passive filter , im looking to diy or have a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter that would be a physical part that could be permanenty mounted inside the cabinet between the binding post an driver my outlaw audio 976 has low an high shelf filter controls in a 10band para eq for each channel both shelfs are adjustable down to 10hz would or could the low shelf for the sub out help control the sub drivers cone excursion by just setting it to -12db at 17hz instead of using a 17hz 8th order

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
whats the diff between active an passive filter , im looking to diy or have a custom made 17hz 8th order butterworth highpass filter that would be a physical part that could be permanenty mounted inside the cabinet between the binding post an driver my outlaw audio 976 has low an high shelf filter controls in a 10band para eq for each channel both shelfs are adjustable down to 10hz would or could the low shelf for the sub out help control the sub drivers cone excursion by just setting it to -12db at 17hz instead of using a 17hz 8th order
Active circuits use a power supply for devices that are included, like transistors, op-amps and microprocessors, to name a few because they don't do anything if voltage isn't applied at specific connections. The circuits operate at line level and are often buffered from the pieces they're connected to, so those devices won't affect the performance of the active circuits. The filtering components in a crossover only remove signal- they can't boost it on their own, but an active filter (like a crossover) can because they're designed to provide 'unity gain'- that means the signal level at the input and output are the same. The active circuits can filter at different rates without causing as many problems with the signal and phase shift is one of those- it's the reason the midrange driver in a three-way 12dB/octave crossover needs to be wired with the negative terminal connected to the positive from the crossover (or, the tweeter in a 12dB/octave two way design). The effect of this phase shift can be seen as a dip in response at the crossover frequency in the frequency response graph of a speaker. Having said that, phase shift isn't easy to completely avoid, so the active circuits need to be designed carefully.

Passive crossovers are also expensive, if high quality components are used. There's no way a passive crossover for 17Hz can operate without affecting the sound an octave away, which means that signal at 34Hz is still affected, but not as much as the frequencies between 17Hz and 34Hz.

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
ok thanks for all that very informative but im still tring to figure out if should seek to build a 17hz 8th order highpass or use my outlaws built in parametric eq to conttol the sub drivers cone excursion because i can model an 8ths response in winisd but not a low shelf control as thers no option for that this is what im aiming for

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h15m46s726.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m04s033.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m21s427.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m32s298.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m36s660.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-10-11-14h16m55s020.jpg

im all ready working on the cabinet that has a 115in labyrinth port
sofaside vxf15in d4 13.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 15.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 4.jpg

sofaside vxf15in d4 8.jpg

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I would just use the low shelf filter available to you from the Outlaw.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If your concern is protecting the driver from over excursion below the tuning frequency I'd go for -12 dB or more

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis