Help! Multi Zone/Outdoor Questions.

M

mhernie

Audiophyte
Multi Zone Questions:

My three zones are 1) Living Room 600sft, 2) Outdoor terrace 400sft (just outside living room), and 3) large roof deck 1000sft.

I am thinking about the Yamaha v2400 receiver for my living room home theater. And was thinking about using one of the zone outputs from the Yahama v2400 to power a pair of outdoor speakers on the terrace. For the roof, I would like to be able to listen to what's playing downstairs, but would also like to be able to plug in other components (i.e. ipod, dj turntables, etc.)

I have many questions, but here are the immediate ones:

1) If I use Zone 2 from my receiver to power outdoor speakers on the terrace, how can I have independent volume control. Can I just purchase one of these?

http://www.futurehomesystems.com/a417.shtml

do I simply just run 2 sets of speaker wire to the volume knob and then 2 more sets from the knob to the speakers?

2) Can I also take advantage of remote in/outs for Zone 2 on the back of the receiver for IR control?

3) For the roof, where I am planning on putting 4 speakers, I am assuming that I will need a separate amplifier. Are there any amplifiers that are better suited for outdoors, or should I just build a weatherproof box? Will the amplifier allow me to connect other sources (i.e. iPod, etc..)

What outputs from the downstairs receiver will I need to run up to this amplifier to tap into the downstairs source for party mode? RCA L/R Audio out? Do I just run a set of RCAs to the roof?

4) Speakers. Because the roof is so large, and there are two distinct areas on the ends of the roof suitable for music listening, I plan to put 2 outdoor speakers and a sub on each end. What outdoor speakers and outdoor subs should I be looking at? Niles?

I'm new to all of this, so thanks in advance for any advice you can spare.

Contractors are trying to finish up and of course, I left this till the last minute....

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis