M

mandidp

Enthusiast
My dad asked me to help him find information on a new home theatre that he wants to make he asked me to get information on 3 front speakers and a sub woofer. I dont know anthing about this stuff, so i found this website and became a member. He doesnt want to spend alot, basically we want good performance and a good price i hope you can help.

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Whats the budget, and what the size of the room? Is he willing to buy used? reconditioned? Ebay?

M

mandidp

Enthusiast
the budget for the speakers is 400 the sub woofer is 250 and the room is 12x20

M

mandidp

Enthusiast
its a really old reciever so no we are definitley getting a new one its called a technuiques or something

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Is it a Technics by any chance? What model is it?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Darn, that's a hard-to-work budget. I would hope you could go a little higher. Not much more and you're into a great price class with tons of options. I would personally set the sub budget at ~$400, which puts you in the running for a Hsu STF-2, SVS PB-10, Rocket ELT-1 SW-10se, and others.

You might check out this package from AV123.

M

mandidp

Enthusiast
it is a technics quarts synthesizer AM/FM stereo reciever SA-R177

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
You might want to look into buying a preboxed 6.1 HT system for $650-$700.
Onkyo has some nice ones at Fry's electronics.

If you are going to piece it together, then here are 3 items that would start things moving.

receiver: Yamaha 5.1 HTR-5830 ~$150-$200 - ebay
center: BIC DV62CLR-S $110
sub: DAYTON 10" 100 Watt Powered sub $125

This leaves about $250 for left and rt speakers...

lol it seems lime most people here spend < $650 on 1 thing. It'll be intersting to see what gets suggested.

Reorx

Last edited:
SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
Well, according to that other thread, you've got a $700 budget for a receiver and 5.1 speakers.

Personally, I'd get:
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR230 high current receiver ($277 factory-direct refurb)
Speakers: Athena Point 5 MKII system ($200 clearance)
Subwoofer: Velodyne VX10 subwoofer ($130 clearance)

That leaves you about $90 for shipping, cables, and speaker wire. A very decent starter system with headroom to grow without having to replace everything at once.

M

mandidp

Enthusiast
thanks alot i think that that is what we will end up using ill tell my dad about it if its not what were looking for ill tell you guys either later tonight or sometime tommorow thanks alot for all your help

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
SilverMK3 excellent choices.
I forgot about Athena. doh!
Velodyne VX10...lol i might have to go buy that myself.
Athena > BIC
Velodyne vs Dayton...hmm...might be time for a large 10" < $200 sub comparison.

Reorx

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis