Help me spend 5k the right way. The tale of a suburban husband.

R

RyanMN

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to look into this tonight. I have a great relationship with my custom cabinet guy. He owes my favors and is already building my cabinets. I'm going to find some plans and float them past him. There is a good chance he would get excited about the idea and do them at a cheap cost just for the fun of doing something different. Its a thought as I don't have the time to set up my shop for all the wood working. I'm in the painting business. We do alot of fine finish work in the shop. Saw dust and enamel/varnishes don't mix well.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm going to look into this tonight. I have a great relationship with my custom cabinet guy. He owes my favors and is already building my cabinets. I'm going to find some plans and float them past him. There is a good chance he would get excited about the idea and do them at a cheap cost just for the fun of doing something different. Its a thought as I don't have the time to set up my shop for all the wood working. I'm in the painting business. We do alot of fine finish work in the shop. Saw dust and enamel/varnishes don't mix well.

Well in that case, I’d take a little time and look at a tapped horn. @TLS Guy has one in his LR, and if you can afford the space, TL and horn subs are something special to be sure.

R

RyanMN

Audioholic Intern
Im so far down the rabbit hole on subs now haha. Its a lot of fun and keep me busy in the evenings. Those Marty subs are cool. I did not know something like that was available. I was picturing using my table saw and router and making all the pieces myself. They are big! One day when I grow up I hope to have a dedicated home theater, until then all but the Marty Cube is out. I love the idea being a home improvement guy, "building" my own sub(s) is a great conversation piece.

Im glad everyone talked me off the ledge in regards to over spending on an AVR. Looking at subs has me constantly wanting to upgrade. Is anyone going to talk me off the ledge on buying more sub that I need? The value on the HSU is crazy. Thanks to Jinjuku for that and the Marty sub suggestions. I am now off the SVS PB3000s and on HSU VTF15s and Rythmik FVX15s or even say F#$% it and get Rythmik ported 18s". The Marty cube as well. I am not sure why I am hesitant on the Marty....possibly its my teen age years growing up with shitty homemade subs in the trunk of my car.

I am exited about thumping base. I want to feel gun shots and bombs going off in my chest. I am transforming this basement and not only is the wife on board I think she is secretly exited. I am open to opinions on the different subs however what I am really asking is can I over buy when it comes to subs for a 4,800 Cu Ft basement? I could buy the Denon 3700 and two Rythmik and stay under that 5k. Then worry about speakers this summer.

Also I will need to find a way to go into "night time" mode with the subs. I liked the SVS for the app control so I could remotely turn them down when I am just watching TVs down stairs. Do most new receivers have an easy one or two button way to dial back the bass?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am open to opinions on the different subs however what I am really asking is can I over buy when it comes to subs for a 4,800 Cu Ft basement?
I'm running two, dual opposed DIY, Infinity Kappa 120w's (four 12" drivers) sealed in a 22" square box with a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP, and literally had to reinforce the ceiling vents from rattling in my 3700cu foot room. Shakes the entire house I kid you not.

I think you'll hit your personal brown note with two of the HSU's :)

I would get the $1K AVR (Denon or Marantz), I would get one HSU, set it up, run the EQ routine and see how your Mirage sound after that. Then if you want pull the trigger on a 2nd HSU.

I can not stress enough that running the correction routine on the AVR is critical. Get the sub corner loaded and let 'er rip.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5s in close to 6k cu-ft. Haven't felt the need to add more or upgrade in the last 4 or 5 years.

R

RyanMN

Audioholic Intern
Well I made a decision. I went with a pair of the Rythmik FVX15. I went with a pair right off the bat to save $200. I looked into the HSU. At first I thought that was the budget pick. After trying to put them in my cart only the rosewood finish was available. No substantial 2 sub discount. Then they wanted $366 for shipping. Thanks everyone for you help. They are back ordered until mid Feb but that should be about the right timing for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I made a decision. I went with a pair of the Rythmik FVX15. I went with a pair right off the bat to save $200. I looked into the HSU. At first I thought that was the budget pick. After trying to put them in my cart only the rosewood finish was available. No substantial 2 sub discount. Then they wanted $366 for shipping. Thanks everyone for you help. They are back ordered until mid Feb but that should be about the right timing for me.
Great sub choice. Rythmik is right up there with the best as far as performance goes. I think you're on the right track. I've always been curious about those servo subs.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Have fun with those monsters.

R

RyanMN

Audioholic Intern
Thought I would provide a quick update. I want to thank everyone for the little push it took for me to change/upgraded my basement layout.

I ended up trading my contacting services to a dealer in exchange for equipment. Because of the deal I worked out and the dealers inventory I ended up getting equipment I wouldn't have otherwise purchased.

I ended up with an Anthem MRX1140. 2 Paradigm Defiance X15s. A 120" screen innovations 3 series. I am also enjoying the non AV equipment like the smart lights and wet bar.

I haven't had a chance to really play with the 1140. My layout is now 5.2.4. Although I still need to work on my placements. I haven't tried to run the ARC program yet. Iv been busy with work and honestly I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out. I'm happy with it so far. However, I would absolutely agree with the advice to save your money and put it into speakers first. I would have been disappointed had I actually spent 4k on it. The subs sound great. And the screen really did improve my picture quality.

Next up will be some wall treatments. Iv been looking at some GIK combo panels. My Mirages sound good with the Anthem but I'm looking forward to upgrading. I've also been going down the rabbit hole of a nice 2 chanel set up for my main living area upstairs.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hsu
PSA, JTR, Rythmik, powerful subs !!! Huge room

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thought I would provide a quick update. I want to thank everyone for the little push it took for me to change/upgraded my basement layout.

I ended up trading my contacting services to a dealer in exchange for equipment. Because of the deal I worked out and the dealers inventory I ended up getting equipment I wouldn't have otherwise purchased.

I ended up with an Anthem MRX1140. 2 Paradigm Defiance X15s. A 120" screen innovations 3 series. I am also enjoying the non AV equipment like the smart lights and wet bar.

I haven't had a chance to really play with the 1140. My layout is now 5.2.4. Although I still need to work on my placements. I haven't tried to run the ARC program yet. Iv been busy with work and honestly I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out. I'm happy with it so far. However, I would absolutely agree with the advice to save your money and put it into speakers first. I would have been disappointed had I actually spent 4k on it. The subs sound great. And the screen really did improve my picture quality.

Next up will be some wall treatments. Iv been looking at some GIK combo panels. My Mirages sound good with the Anthem but I'm looking forward to upgrading. I've also been going down the rabbit hole of a nice 2 chanel set up for my main living area upstairs.

Man, that's looking pretty good! Coming along very nicely! Glad some of our suggestions helped you out and you're happy with it. Thanks for the update too. We love to see updates with pics!

Your main seat(s) looks like it's right in the sweet spot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis