Help Me Pls. My Infinities Are Distortin

S

satish536

Audioholic
Well i have a home theatre and for some reason my front speakers distort at high volumes basically the bass .I dont even know if its exactly distortion some kind of a popping noise . I want to find out where the problem lies ? ,Well my receiver is a onkyo tx-ds676 which pumps out about 85 watts rms to each channel ...I have Infinity rs - 4 on the front left and right ,Infinity cc-3 Center Channel, Bose Model 100 Surrounds, Inifnity Bu-75 SubWoofer .My problem is my Front speakers tend to distort when there is heavy bass in the movies (like hip hop beats n heavy beats), My speakers can handle 150 watts rms ....so why the hell are they distorting ......my receiver has bass setting from -12 to +12 ....i have it set on +2 .....what am i doing wrong ??.....am i supposed to turn the bass even lower so that my sub can handle all the bass??... what should i do???Please Help

Thanx in advance y'all

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
What are the feq rating on those speakers? The bass might be lower than those speakers are rated at? Also what is your sub crossed over at? There are a whole host of reasons why you could be getting that sound. The 2 that I mentioned are but 2 of many.

First thing if you have not done this is to calibrate your system. Use the test tones in the system and make sure that your system is calibrated right. Try setting your receiver so that the speakers are set to small. Set the EQ's on the system flat to start.

Set your x over for LFE (sub) to 80hz is a good start.
Use an SPL meter from Radio Shack and make sure that every speaker is the same DB with the test tones.

Then fine tune from there. Adjust the EQ's if you want, just don't mess with the levels.

:rolleyes: I am missing something.........crap.......no time! break is over got to run back to work.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Sounds like the amp is clipping ? When an amp is overdriven it clips off the top of the waveform and causes distortion and bottoming. The receiver is probably the issue here.

What is the impedance and sensitivity of the speakers ?

How large is your room ? Where do you have speakers crossed over ? Using a higher crossover point ( try 80hz) will ease the demands on the receiver and lets the sub do most of the work.

Try to keeping the tone controls flat. Especially at high volumes.

Does the receiver have pre outs ? Try using an external amp with more power.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the 676, I'd suspect you only have one x-over choice, and we probably don't even know what that is.

The first thing you should check is if you have your speakers set to small or large? All of those you listed should be set to small, otherwise they will have frequencies below what they are capable of sent to them and this sounds like what is happening. That is not distortion from clipping, that is break-up from the driver trying to reproduce frequencies below what it is physically capable of.

Distortion does not come from too much power, it comes from not enough power, but that doesn't sound like your issue. The 150w rating is a maximum rating and it doesn't have any bearing on this particular issue, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
satish536 said:
Well i have a home theatre and for some reason my front speakers distort at high volumes basically the bass .I dont even know if its exactly distortion some kind of a popping noise . I want to find out where the problem lies ? ,Well my receiver is a onkyo tx-ds676 which pumps out about 85 watts rms to each channel ...I have Infinity rs - 4 on the front left and right ,Infinity cc-3 Center Channel, Bose Model 100 Surrounds, Inifnity Bu-75 SubWoofer .My problem is my Front speakers tend to distort when there is heavy bass in the movies (like hip hop beats n heavy beats), My speakers can handle 150 watts rms ....so why the hell are they distorting ......my receiver has bass setting from -12 to +12 ....i have it set on +2 .....what am i doing wrong ??.....am i supposed to turn the bass even lower so that my sub can handle all the bass??... what should i do???Please Help

Thanx in advance y'all

Is this a new problem for these speakers?

These are sensitive speakers and an easy load. Max spl is 111dB.

Possible you are over driving it, driving it with lows it just cannot reproduce with the amount of power you are sending by a high volume. And, the amp may be clipping, over driven.

Best solution is setting your system to small, as was suggested by another poster, and let the sub handle to low frequency band, if even that will handle what you want out of it. Not sure even that will.

S

satish536

Audioholic
Distortin Infinities

hey guys thanx for the help .....my speakers are set to small actually and my reciever is a pretty old one and doesnt have the crossover seting for me to set it.I mean even the distorting happens only in like 4 percent of the entire movie when there are some really loud noises. After someone telling me i did calibrate levels.Well what i wanted to know is if i get a new sub and turn down the bass setting on my reciever so that the sub will handle all the bass through the pre out . Is this a solution ?

thanx y'all

S

satish536

Audioholic
Specs

Frequency Response: 40Hz - 32kHz (+/-3dB)
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 40 - 150 watts per channel RMS
Crossover Frequency(ies): 600Hz, 4kHz
Nominal Impedance: 4 - 8 ohms
Woofer: 8" polypropylene
Midrange Driver: Polydome
Tweeter: EMIT

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Being your speakers are set to small this could be clipping after all. J Garcia had made a good point about the speakers being set to large and the woofers trying to produce bass they can't handle. But clipping seems more likely now.

How large is the room the system is in ? How large is the sub your using ?

A larger sub or receiver may be in order.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hmm... just because a speaker can handle 150 watts...

...without going up in smoke, that doesn't mean they won't complain mightly if they are asked to pump more air than they are physically capable of.

An 8" speaker is capable of only so much low end output. Unless it was specifically designed as a subwoofer, it's unlikely that it can pump out gobs of volume at the lower end of it's range without complaining.

IOW, most 8" speakers can't do hip hop at high levels.

Try blocking the lows from going to that speaker. Set the crossover to 80 hx or better, or whatever it takes.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Satish,
You said that your receiver does not have a cross over for you to set. That is the first thing that I would replace then. Get you a receiver that you can set the x-over for your sub on. Then go through the calibration stuff like I had mentioned in my first post.

It seems to me that if you were to get a new Receiver your chances of getting this fixed would be greatly increased. (amp cliping, sub cross over...etc) There are tons of good products out there now days that will not put to big of a dent in your pocket book. You already know that there is a problem with your amp. (it won't let you set the cross over for the sub) no sense in buying a new sub till you know it was not the amp that was the main problem.

(not that for the style of music you listen to isn't hard enough on Subs. More than likely in the future you will be wanting to upgrade your sub any ways. SVS, Velodyne, EarthQuake ETC..)

That is my .02 cents on the issue.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hello Satish,

We still don't know how big the room is ? Could you help us out here.

Im willing to bet if you're using a receiver with no crossover adjustment. The preset is probably around 100 to 120hz. I could be off, but just a guess from past experience with older receivers.

Since the speakers dip to 4 ohms I would bet the Onkyo does not like this, especially at high volume.

How big is the subwoofer by the way ?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
satish536 said:

All the other comments plus, call the maker of the receiver before anything and find out where the LFE is crossing over and the lower frequency limit to the mains when the receiver is set to 'small.'

S

satish536

Audioholic
My Situation

Hi well firstly let me explain my situation i live in India in Asia where people dont have anything more than a HTIB limiting makes to sony, LG, Samung etc . This place has hardly any one with a serious home theater. There is only one professional place which does up these home theaters in my city . also he imports everything, which means i cant hear them and he way overprices it too

One of the posts said my speakers go down to 4 ohms ...im new to this ...i want to know why the onkyo doesnt like 4 ohms ?...what does impedance mean , what exactly does it to do ..what is ideal impedance to look for in speakers, recievers ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lower impedance means the speakers will draw more current from the receiver, making you reach the limits of the available power the receiver can provide much quicker. The risk you are running when you hear that distortion is damage to your speakers. You will need to see if you can locate a receiver that can handle a 4 Ohm load, though one with a decent crossover and adding a sub should also help if you can't locate one that has adequate bass management.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
How large is the room you are using the system in ?

S

satish536

Audioholic
Size, Doubts

My room is 16 X 18 Feet ........Its in the basement with wooden flooring and the walls are covered wit some kind of cloth which the profesinal guy put n told me is especially for HT use my ceiling too has some kind of thing like that !!

So basically im supposed to look for speakers with low or high impedance when i buy my next pair of speakers??Which is better and what all am i supposed to look for when i buy my next reciever??
Sorry if im buggin u wit my newbee questions !!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Look for 6 or 8 Ohm speakers. The majority of home speakers are 8 Ohm, and you should have plenty of choices (relative to your geographical location, obviously). Most every receiver on the market is designed for 8 Ohms and can handle 6 Ohm speakers. If you aren't going to be purchasing a new receiver, look for speakers that have a higher sensitivity 90dB or better is good (95dB would be VERY efficient, 85dB would be low). That's a decent sized room, so small sattelite speakers probably aren't going to cut it.

S

satish536

Audioholic
My Amp

Onkyo TX-DS676<Specs>
Continous Power Ouput<DIN>5 x 115 W at 6 ohms
Continous Power Ouput<EIAJ>5 x 145 W at 6 ohms

85 W per channel min at RMS at 8 ohms

My Front Speakers
Infinity RS-4

What Kind of a match is this in regard to the impedance??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis