Help me identify some Monitor Audio speakers please!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just purchased a used pair of Monitor audio speakers, they appear to be at around 10 years old. The only numbers on found on them was REF 702 PMC then below that there is 2033 on each speaker. I have found very little about them online, I am interested in the specs and maybe a round about price at which they may have listed (the second part is more just curiosity, the first part is a bit more important.

Here is a picture to help identify these speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well they sound good, and that's the important part. I just had to urge to go out pawn shopping and picked these up for cheap. I love when pawn shops have no idea what they are selling, and even better when the customer that sold them to the pawn shop doesn't know what they pawned.:D They do have some cosmetic hardship, but I am used to that by now. The drivers are completely intact and the basket on the woofer is made of some type of polymer as apposed to stamped or cast metal type baskets. They aren't shielded, indicating they are older (seems a lot of late 90's speakers lack shielding).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Seth,

Could that be MPC and not PMC?

Here is what I found:

Some people have made comments on Audio review 702 MPC: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/monitor-audio/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_120185_1594crx.aspx

Here is one called 703 PMC: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/monitor-audio/PRD_120179_1594crx.aspx

No pics anywhere that I could find. sorry.
You've found all I have as well. The PMC-703s are floorstanders and far more expensive than the PMC-702s. I found that the PMC-702s where made in the late 90's as I thought (1997 or 1998 is when they started producing) I am not sure when they stopped producing and selling them. They where likely around $800-1000 new, but I can't lock it down. I got them for $70, so no fussing here.:D

Thank you for taking the time to help.:)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
No problem. They look nice. I like the gold drivers.:D Are you going to use these instead of the Infinity's or use them for surround duties?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No problem. They look nice. I like the gold drivers.:D Are you going to use these instead of the Infinity's or use them for surround duties?
I don't have a home theater at the moment (no surround receiver). This is just for stereo. I will listen for a while to see how I like these. I like them so far, they don't have as much bass as the Infinitys do, but they seem to excel in other areas.

bluelines

bluelines

Audiophyte
I just purchased a used pair of Monitor audio speakers, they appear to be at around 10 years old. The only numbers on found on them was REF 702 PMC then below that there is 2033 on each speaker. I have found very little about them online, I am interested in the specs and maybe a round about price at which they may have listed (the second part is more just curiosity, the first part is a bit more important.
These are indeed a pair of Monitor Audio PMC 702 speakers (I have a pair myself). The specifications are below:

Frequency Response 35Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity (1W@1W) 89 dB
Maximum S.P.L. (per pair dB) 109
Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 8
Power Handling (Watts, R.M.S.) 100
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (Watts, R.M.S.) 15-100
Crossover (Hz) 3.5KHz
Dimensions (cm, HxWxD) 40x20x24
Weight (kg) 18

M

musicloverer

Audiophyte
Monitor Audio 702 Reference mk2

I have a pair Monitor Audio 702 Reference mk2 speakers. The specifications are below:

Frequency Response 35Hz-32KHz
Sensitivity (1W@1W) 89 dB
Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 8
Midbass unit: 6.5"
High frequency unit: 1"
Weight (kg) around 9.

I satisfied with it sound quality (especially at midrange & high range) when set up it with:
- Amplifer: Musical Fidelity A1 David MK2 (25 W Pure class A)
- DAC: Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3
- CD transport: Sony CDP 557 ESD.
However, it low frequency sound is not tight a bit. Would you have any suggest to change another amplifer for solving?

Thanks!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would suggest changing speaker placement and possibly treating the room.

25 watts isn't very much power, could be the cause of your bass problems.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like you did well!

Monitor Audio 702PMC:
New List: $1500.00
Used avg: $600.00
released 1996, pr, rear, 6.5in woof, 1in twtr, 85 lbs

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like you did well!

Monitor Audio 702PMC:
New List: $1500.00
Used avg: $600.00
released 1996, pr, rear, 6.5in woof, 1in twtr, 85 lbs
Maybe 8.5 pounds, certainly not 85 pounds.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Here is a picture to help identify these speakers.

Seth, your photo is not there anymore. I suspect they are the ceramic reinforced metal cone drivers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth, your photo is not there anymore. I suspect they are the ceramic reinforced metal cone drivers.
I the account that was tied to those images I can no longer access. This thread is old.

M

musicloverer

Audiophyte
I would suggest changing speaker placement and possibly treating the room.

25 watts isn't very much power, could be the cause of your bass problems.
Thanks for your suggession, I will change it possition near the wall and check it result.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I had some at one point. Nice speakers, I never found the highs particularly pleasing to me. Initially they were very crisp, but for long listening I began to find them a bit fatiguing. Could have also been the room, and my setup. I was just getting into audio then. When I moved a neighbor feel in love with their looks and gave me more than they were worth let alone the cost to move them, and I sold them.

Really nice build quality, I like MA speakers. The exchange rate kills them new though, it's hard for them to compete in the US market now with the exchange rate. Really a shame, because I'd recommend them more but to buy them new now is just super expensive for what you get unless you live in the UK.

M

musicloverer

Audiophyte
Thanks for your suggession, I will change it possition near the wall and check it result.

I already changed speaker position near to the wall, the distance between Lh & Rh speaker around 3m. Unbelievable, it sound widens and more deeply, all instruments position were displayed clearly especially the low frequency is deeper & tidy.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I already changed speaker position near to the wall, the distance between Lh & Rh speaker around 3m. Unbelievable, it sound widens and more deeply, all instruments position were displayed clearly especially the low frequency is deeper & tidy.
Thanks for your suggestion!
I'm glad that worked out for you, because replacing the amplifier would have changed almost nothing and you would have been perplexed at the lack of change you heard for the money spent.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well they sound good, and that's the important part. I just had to urge to go out pawn shopping and picked these up for cheap. I love when pawn shops have no idea what they are selling, and even better when the customer that sold them to the pawn shop doesn't know what they pawned.:D They do have some cosmetic hardship, but I am used to that by now. The drivers are completely intact and the basket on the woofer is made of some type of polymer as apposed to stamped or cast metal type baskets. They aren't shielded, indicating they are older (seems a lot of late 90's speakers lack shielding).
The best pawn shop find I had, was a pair of Definitive bi-polar
surrounds for $39 and in good shape - they retailed for $500.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis