Help me decide, Velodyne 10" VRP-Series or MORDAUNT SHORT MS907W 10"

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
My budget is $200-$300. Tight budget for a sub, i know:( . This is for my bedroom, mainly for music. I can't have the big powerful sub. I don't want anymore complaints from the neighbor below my place. I'm looking at those two, but i don't know which one may suit me better. The room is about 13x20. I can read the spec, the main difference is Velodyne response is 35-140kHz (115Watt) and Mordaunt is 35-150kHz (100Watt).
From those who have velodyne or mordaunt, please give me some advice. Thanks a lot.

PS: I'm open to any other suggestions.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
same low end extension ... bigger wattage ... better subwoofer brand. Velodyne!

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
The Velo Vrp series when I auditioned it was pretty disappointing to me... don't know about the Mordaunt..

But for 2-3 hundred..... can't go wrong with the Cadence Xsub or Acoustech H100 like Sheep said... But I would lean towards the Acoustech H100 more because... the H100 performs better, cost 20 bucks more at most... probably less on Ebay NEW, and doesn't have the ON-going humming that almost everyone with an X-SUB gets.... and that's not including the Glossy top the H100 has heheh... :D

S

snobgoblin

Enthusiast
I had the VPR1000 for about a week or so. I really do not know a lot about subs but i knew i hated the vpr1000. I did my research and i bought the h100 for $15 less than the vpr.

The h100 was by far a better sub all the way around. I had the h100 for about 4 -5 days before it went dead. I'm not sure what happend but i sent it back. But while it was working I could tell i spent the money on the right sub. Now i'm waiting for my next sub to get here this week.SVS:p

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:
Cadence Xsub or BIC H100.

SheepStar
Thanks...I'll try to audition these two subs if the stores around my area has either one. Anything to add to the list, anybody?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard the 907 and it is acceptable, not great. IMO, I'd probably go with something else like the H100 mentioned.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I have not heard the two subs you are asking about so I can not comment.

Check these out:

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html Might be more than you want to spend but they come highly recomended by many on this forum. Do a AH search I'm sure you'll get some good info.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=12.1 Like someone earlier pointed out they are on backorder but that does speak to immediate popularity of the sub.

You might also try Athena's some like them as a budget alternative but my bet is that the some of the other suggestions would be better. http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?MFGID=218&hdnMfg=Athena Technologies&All=1

Good luck,
SBF1

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
STRONGBADF1 said:
I have not heard the two subs you are asking about so I can not comment.

Check these out:

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html Might be more than you want to spend but they come highly recomended by many on this forum. Do a AH search I'm sure you'll get some good info.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=12.1 Like someone earlier pointed out they are on backorder but that does speak to immediate popularity of the sub.

You might also try Athena's some like them as a budget alternative but my bet is that the some of the other suggestions would be better. http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?MFGID=218&hdnMfg=Athena Technologies&All=1

Good luck,
SBF1
Thanks. I've reviewed H100 and i liked it. It is great for music. Athena is great for movies, IMO. So far, I'm leaning towards H100 but the x-Sub caught my attention. First, it comes in Maple which should match my Mordaunts. Second, it's at least $50 cheaper than the rest (and I have $50 voucher from AV123, thanks to AH)...;). Anybody has any experiences with the x-sub?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do a search on the x-sub here, there are at least 2 people here who own them I believe, and with the $50 coupon, that would definitely be my choice. The shadow maple won't quite match with the honey maple of the MSs...but it WILL look good :)

B

balearophon

Audiophyte
Audiophile's secrets they use.

Did you know that most systems for audio rooms require little more than 30 watts and the rest is waste? (Projected wave acoustics is the reason. 300lbs. of fire hose water just won't come out the best garden hose. Most audiophiles love tube amps that push as little as 8-10 watts. You've been fed the early lunch by some advertiser.

If you want loud, your hearing is not as healthy as you might think it is. Clarity of audibility stops dead at about 90 decibels. The rest is rumble. Muffle and inner ear damage you can't get back.

Why not construct you own subwoofer off the internet? There are dozens of places. You can whack one together on an easy Saturday. Cost? $50 tops.

Matching systems don't always match. Audiophiles know that many modular set ups are a product of the deals the manufacturers made with some other subcontractor (Think Dell).

Lots of sights will give you room acoustic dynamics for size and shape, free, just so they can maybe sell you their components. If you,ve even had a little solid geometry and know the first half of a sleepy first year algebra class you can whip it good.

I don't advertise, but I myself take Audio Electronics Magazine and occasionally pick up a copy of Audiophile if it interests me. Audio Express catalog is something I faithfully get every edition. The Internet can give you plans for the awesome Linkwitz Riley and a few other designs, including one made from 32 Radio Shack 3" full-range speakers. Of course, these are projects.

And then, there are the "knock together" kits designed by some of the best audio geniuses, are inexpensive and flat loutperform some of the King Kongs in the market place. (Look for the sub kit in Audio Express.) Its information, not advertising. No one paid me a plug nickel.

Do it your way. Then you can light it up and crank some tunes, and blow your mind with some Bruce Willis flix. (The Fifth Element sounds way better in Dolby Stereo. And U2 Live At Slaney Castle? Whoa, Horsey!)

I'd throw away my worries and put together something I really wanted and not what some guy who doesn't know me or my ears- or the size of my room, tells me.

Caveat Emptor.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
balearophon said:
Did you know that most systems for audio rooms require little more than 30 watts and the rest is waste? (Projected wave acoustics is the reason. 300lbs. of fire hose water just won't come out the best garden hose. Most audiophiles love tube amps that push as little as 8-10 watts. You've been fed the early lunch by some advertiser.

If you want loud, your hearing is not as healthy as you might think it is. Clarity of audibility stops dead at about 90 decibels. The rest is rumble. Muffle and inner ear damage you can't get back.

Why not construct you own subwoofer off the internet? There are dozens of places. You can whack one together on an easy Saturday. Cost? $50 tops.

Matching systems don't always match. Audiophiles know that many modular set ups are a product of the deals the manufacturers made with some other subcontractor (Think Dell).

Lots of sights will give you room acoustic dynamics for size and shape, free, just so they can maybe sell you their components. If you,ve even had a little solid geometry and know the first half of a sleepy first year algebra class you can whip it good.

I don't advertise, but I myself take Audio Electronics Magazine and occasionally pick up a copy of Audiophile if it interests me. Audio Express catalog is something I faithfully get every edition. The Internet can give you plans for the awesome Linkwitz Riley and a few other designs, including one made from 32 Radio Shack 3" full-range speakers. Of course, these are projects.

And then, there are the "knock together" kits designed by some of the best audio geniuses, are inexpensive and flat loutperform some of the King Kongs in the market place. (Look for the sub kit in Audio Express.) Its information, not advertising. No one paid me a plug nickel.

Do it your way. Then you can light it up and crank some tunes, and blow your mind with some Bruce Willis flix. (The Fifth Element sounds way better in Dolby Stereo. And U2 Live At Slaney Castle? Whoa, Horsey!)

I'd throw away my worries and put together something I really wanted and not what some guy who doesn't know me or my ears- or the size of my room, tells me.

Caveat Emptor.
Though I tend to agree with you about cheaper self-made sub, i have to tell you that not everybody have the handyman skills required for it. Yes, I built my own amp years and years ago, but I have to admit, building my own sub will be quite a challenge. Not to mention, the required tools to put them together. I live in a condo as you can imagine, i can't put much in my tools cabinet. I'll be more than happy to make my own sub if I have enough space and tools. It's a nice thought anyway, so I'll take a peek at several online resources about it. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You are oversimplifying here a bit. It is true that most systems actually only use about 10 watts, however when a dynamic peak hits, even if it is for a few seconds, that can easily draw up to 10x that which means in most cases you DO need that headroom to handle those peaks. Thus, a 100w receiver is standard fare. Tube amps don't work the same way solid state amps do, as they are capable of delivering much more current during transient peaks.

$50 tops for a sub isn't realistic for a sub either, if you want something decent. Most plate amps alone cost more than that, even the cheap ones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis