Help laying out system

H

hsingh7

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

I'm reaching out to get some help on laying out our first home theater system. Our living room is all wired for in ceiling speakers (7.1) but the more research I do, the more I see that it may be a bad idea to do only in ceiling speakers as we need to have sound coming at us from ear level. Is there any compromise to set up a system that is somewhat invisible and still sound great? I was thinking maybe finding in wall speakers for the front and center speakers and doing in ceiling ones for the couch surround?

We'll be moving the furniture as it all arrives, but we'll have a couch in the center where the 4 rear speakers can go, but is there any creative solution to this without installing speakers on ground level? Ideally an atmos set up if possible seems intriguing.

I'm open to rewiring, or adding things if we need to for a better set up.

All help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry I'm not too knowledgeable about setting up the home theater at the moment, but doing all the research I can!

Attachments

W

Wardog555

Audioholic

These two are very valuable resources for speaker placement . You are correct in that the base layer speakers go at around ear level and not anywhere near the ceiling.

It will be very difficult if you are unwilling to have speakers on stands as I believe this is likely the best solution without seeing the whole room. And floor plan of it.

I would aim for 110 degrees for the side surrounds and 150 degrees for the rear speakers.

For the atmos height speakers. 35 degrees forward and back from MLP vertical axis, and 35 degree horizontal axis.

Hope this helps.

H

hsingh7

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot! That does help a lot and will look over the videos. Unfortunately we don't want to do speakers on stands as it's an open floorplan. The kitchen behind you if you're standing from where the picture is taken.
Would it make sense at all to do all of the rear speakers in the ceiling? Or would that heavily detract from the system?

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis