Help in choosing network receiver

A

aetherBRO

Audiophyte
Hi - new to this forum, so thank you in advance for the help.

I just moved into a new-to-me house which has a dedicated media room. My current AVR (Intergra) is on its last legs - Zone 2 won't work and 3 inputs are fried (likely due to massive lightening strike 2 years ago - even while on surge protector).

Room specs:
-14x14 (9ft ceilings)
-4 ceiling speakers installed at each corner
-Zone 2 output to amp in basement that powers 8 pairs of speakers (indoor and outdoor)

My use of AVR:
-Media room for TV/Movies
-Streaming music from multiple sources (I don't need Apple Airplay, but could use it)
-Zone 2 for audio to the 8 pairs of speakers
-Potential future Zone 2 video output to family room on adjoining wall (50/50 chance this will happen)

Speakers:
-4 ceiling speakers installed in media room (unknown brand, haven't had chance to pop off cover and traveling for the next week)
-Klipsch RF-42 floor stands
-Klipsch RF-42 surround
-Klipsch RF-42 center

Budget:
$500 - $1000

Issue/question:
1. I've typically only had 5.0 surround. Is 7.1 that much better?
2. Is Dolby Atmos really worth it? I could use ceiling speakers as either 5.1.2/5.1.4 or 7.1.2/7.1.4 and not have to purchase any additional speakers. The 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 would require a more expensive AVR.

Here is what I'm looking at:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN838/Onkyo-TX-NR838.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN737/Onkyo-TX-NR737.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX3100/Denon-AVR-X3100W-IN-Command.html?search=denon_3100&skipvs=T

Any thoughts on Onkyo vs. Denon and is it worth trying to incorporate the ceiling speakers using Dolby Atmos? If not, then I would just use the rear ceiling speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup (if Zone 2 is not powered).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just one thing to consider here: That's 16 (SIXTEEN )speakers. You're going to need a pretty serious multi-channel amp to n power them. Just so you know, these don't come cheap.

But, you can run a bank of amps with lesser channels as long a each speaker get's it's own amp channel.

A

aetherBRO

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick reply - the 8 pair of Zone 2 speakers are powered by a separate amp in the basement (of which I don't recall the specs/specifics off hand).

So really only looking at powering media room set up.

A

aetherBRO

Audiophyte
It doesn't seem like the ceiling speakers are optimally placed for Atmos. IMO, stay with 5.1 since you won't have space for correctly positioning rear speakers (they need to be minimum 3-5' behind).
Not sure if/why ceiling would not work for Atmos, they are placed directly above seating and appear to be consistent with Dolby instructions. Agree on rear surround likely not being an option, I have maybe enough room to place them 1' behind seating. So I could still achieve 5.1.4 with Klipsch towers as front, Klipsch center, and then add right/left surround (wall mounted)....keeping the ceiling speakers dedicated for Atmos only.

Or would it be better to do away with Atmos all together and use rear ceiling as surround, keeping Klipsch set up (and not use front ceilings at all)?

Thanks!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
In the first post you said ceiling speakers in the corners. I assumed you meant corners of the room.

So I could still achieve 5.1.4 with Klipsch towers as front, Klipsch center, and then add right/left surround (wall mounted)....keeping the ceiling speakers dedicated for Atmos only.
This sounds perfect.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis