HELP !, i have a set of KEF R50 atmos, i am going to wall mount them but where do i put them ??

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
Hi there,
See sketch for details.
i currently have one set KEF R50 speakers sat on top of my fronts, i am going to wall mount them but what height what distance apart. (theses have keyholes by the way).
my floor to ceiling height is 240cm.
front stage to rear stage is 360cm. (wall to wall)
other wall to wall 420cm ish, door and window cause an obstruction.
i want to remove one set of my surround speakers. (7.1.2 to 5.1.4).
I was going to buy a second set of KEF R50 , would it be okay to mount them directly above me on the wall as my sofa is tight to the wall, also do i remove the surrounds on the side walls or the surrounds at my sofa. ????.
i was told to keep it at 7.1.2 as my rooms not big enough, if thats the case i can accept that.
KEF instructions are a bit vague, they say to have them 9" down from the ceiling, my ceilings are only 240cm, i would like mines tight to the ceiling.
been reading conflicting information about placement, no more than halfway up the wall, within 3 feet of front speakers, 9" from the top of the ceiling., now i have no idea where to place them.
I did want to place them on top of my surrounds but my surrounds are small so i would have to sit them the other way, im not sure if this is the done thing. (see photo).
what are other people doing with there set ups.???
anybody else have a similar set up.
SEE SKETCH PROVIDED.
any advice or tell me if im doing something wrong would be appreciated.
thanks.

Attachments

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
im finding the 3 statements of dolby vert confusing

If you're using add-on modules, place them on top of the left and right front speakers, or within three feet of those speakers. Be sure the drivers are facing toward the ceiling.

You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall.

The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not going to claim expert status. ;)
But the most important part is having your bed layer of surround speakers accurately set... to the best you are able. From there, placement of the Atmos speaker is a little more flexible. Keep in mind, Dolby has to define it, but we all have different rooms that we apply that definition in. So to the best of your ability, follow the recommendation for general placement.
One friend here has inspired my understanding. He likes his L/R surrounds a little behind, closer to that 110° placement than directly at your side. From there, you are able to get a little more separation when placing the Top Front or Top Middle Atmos speaker which is what you are doing. As yours is an angled elevation speaker, you want to mount it as high as necessary to have the angle of the baffle facing your LP as much as possible. You don’t need to go to the length of having it aimed directly at you, though if you wanted to buy special hardware, you could.
Regardless, for Top Front placement, you would put it about 3 linear feet in front of your LP. Top Middle I wanna say is better almost a little in front of you, but not as far as that top front location. Top Rear would be 3 feet behind.
If you think you might at some point add Top Rear, definitely go for Top Front placement. Either way, my understanding is that Top Front may be the better placement because it does give you better separation from your other surrounds.
Lastly, don’t fret if it’s not textbook perfect to the guidelines. As long as you do your best to match the “ideal location,” you’ll be fine! :)
Hope this helps!

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
did you look at my sketch ?, none of my surrounds are directly behind me, i think i know where to place my front kef r50 as they say to place them above the towers, but i am not sure the height, within 3 feet?, 7.5 - 12ft, or halfwy up my wall thats what i have read for position.

there is going to be between 1,5m - 2m distance between them on the front stage, that dictates my rear height if i need them.

my surrounds at the sofa are angled towards me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
top front, front height, i thought they were the same ?, what do i class my KEF R50, my heads went to mush lol.

i will read they likes just now

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
top front, front height, i thought they were the same ?, what do i class my KEF R50, my heads went to mush lol.

i will read they likes just now
Front or Rear Height speakers are usually mounted high on the Front or Back Wall with an ideal 45degree angle aimed at LP.
Top Speakers (T-Front, T-Middle, T-Rear) are the main Atmos speakers referred to, they are preferably ceiling mounted overhead or wall mounted to left and right.
When Dolby refers to modules, they are talking about the up-firing boxes when you place them on to your front speakers (for example). These refflected sound modules are not considered by most as the best sounding solution, but they work for those unable to wall or ceiling mount other speakers.
Your speakers are designed to use either way. They have keyhole slots to hang them from the walls, which I would recommend.

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
i am going to mount them, im a little baffled with it but i have partly got the just of it, so i can place these speakers as high as i ca get them, 240cm, this will be fine for my 3.5m away seating position, what im tryin to figure out is, what width apart ? the kef are upward firing?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
the kef are upward firing?
When I search on R50, this is what I get. Newer model I presume.
Do your speakers have keyhole slots on them for wall mounting?
If Yes, they can be used as both. Wall mounted or speaker top. Make certain you leave enough room for the speaker wires on top of that speaker when you wall mount it. :)

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
i think there upward firing to reflect off the ceiling, i cant seem to find anything on them unless im looking wrong, which is making me wonder if there ment to be up high, as earlier kefr r50 didnt have keyhole but the uni q drivers in them are ment to be any direction, no tweeter in them either, is 1.5m enough side by side distance ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The uni-q is a combination driver, contains the tweeter.
So if no keyhole slots on the back of the speaker (large flat side opposite the driver), then I would recommend using them on top of your fronts, but not as you show in your photo, rather lay them down so they function as intended: to bounce the sound off your ceiling.

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
ah cool i just realised after reading about them where the tweeters are.

what i ment was mines do have keyholes, im led to believe earlier ones didnt.

i have just made a template, KEF didnt supply one ??

my distance between the speakers is going to be 120cm ?

the image with the kef r50 upright was an example of how i wanted my second set to go but i have decided one sets enough, they wouldnt fit right the proper way, i got the idea from the svs speakers i saw, i dont explain myself very well lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ah cool i just realised after reading about them where the tweeters are.

what i ment was mines do have keyholes, im led to believe earlier ones didnt.

i have just made a template, KEF didnt supply one ??

my distance between the speakers is going to be 120cm ?

the image with the kef r50 upright was an example of how i wanted my second set to go but i have decided one sets enough, they wouldnt fit right the proper way, i got the idea from the svs speakers i saw, i dont explain myself very well lol
No worries.
Are you still planning on mounting them on the front wall, or on the side walls?

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
the front wall similar to this but my heights a little closer in

1552333334111.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
personal recommendation for front height is keep them above front speakers.
Inside will change the soundstage...
Outside, they become "wides." ;)
More confusion... Ha!

Just go straight up as High as you can with just enough room to manage the cables without bening them severely.

Again, Its your room, so do as you need. :)

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
this is what im trying to figure out lol,, is there a minimum and maximum distances apart.

i have read that height speakers should be centred but again that was in ceiling ones

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My suggestion, based on what I've read, is that you should treat Front Height speakers as an extension of your floor speakers. Thats why I suggest putting them above the floor speakers, on the wall. Just like that diagram.
:)

C

chaos123007

Enthusiast
i have read that much about it ave confused myself lol.

i think i have enough to go on for placement, im just trying to think outside the box a bit for sitting position but there on top of my fronts just now anyways and still sound good, i saw pictures of people placing them inside a wee bit but i will stick to the diagram and what information i have

cheers mate

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis