Help deciding between near field speakers

R

RSC_08

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm currently very divided on which route to take regarding speakers.

So, I need a pair of speakers for near field use (desktop) and their back side will be located within 10cm of a wall. These will mostly be for music listening and some movie watching. The amplifier will be a Rega IO. Here is my current shortlist:

- Cheaper - Quad S-1 (388€) / Canton Ergo 620 (520€);
- Mid-range - Canton Vento 816.2 (735€) / Ophidian Minimo (775€);
- Crazy expensive - KEF LS50 Meta (1200€ and this would delay the purchase for some months).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Be patient. Get the KEF LS50 Meta.

If they're as good as the original LS50's and people are raving that they're even better, it's a no-brainer.

R

RSC_08

Audiophyte
They are certainly the best looking ones, the grey and red would look amazing on my desk but... it's still 1200€. I initially wanted to spend around 350€ on speakers + amp, I'm already way over budget, if I go the Meta route then... The other thing is that general consensus seems to be they shouldn't be very close to walls and in my case that is really something I cannot avoid.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
How about the
They are certainly the best looking ones, the grey and red would look amazing on my desk but... it's still 1200€. I initially wanted to spend around 350€ on speakers + amp, I'm already way over budget, if I go the Meta route then... The other thing is that general consensus seems to be they shouldn't be very close to walls and in my case that is really something I cannot avoid.
How about the Triangle Borea BR03?

I have an old budget pair of Triangle Titus 202's and they're super impressive for the price. Definitely worth demoing.

And no, I don't work or represent the company. :D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a review of the BR03 and it's front-ported to help with the wall issue.

R

RSC_08

Audiophyte
I actually looked into those but the reported peaks in the high end and the looks being a bit "meh" for me, made me scratch them off the shortlist.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis