HELP! Christmas Presents = Paperweight

W

woodlab

Audiophyte
:confused:
I know enough to know I'm in over my head. When people ask me about cabinet building, I'm the man, but this stuff has got be befuddled. I've got a Denon AVR 2805 receiver, Denon DVM 1815 DVD player, and a Polk 7.1 set of speakers for Christmas. I recently got a new 50" Sony LCD rear proj. HDTV. The picture is AWESOME, but right now, I've got some very nice and expensive paperweights under the TV. I've read the manual that came with the receiver, and although there is a lot of detail for adjusting things, I can't seem to find the "get you going watching TV/movies" section. Can someone take pity on an AV technical retard and hold my hand so that I can be a hero to my little girl and let her watch "Shrek 2" in surround (because we've only seen it 347 times)???
Jake

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
What is that you need to know? How to connect the dvd player/cable box/av receiver to the tv?

"Getting going to watch tv" shouldn't require anything more than connecting the dvd player to a video input on the tv and starting the movie.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Santa Claus was good to you.

Sounds like my system, with the exception of the type of TV (Santa was good to me as well).

What specifically do you need help with?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
woodlab I've got a Denon AVR 2805 receiver said:
I think the Denon receiver will not put out sound until you run the set-up program the first time. I'm not sure, as I don't have one, but I seem to remember this solution from a couple of posts like this one. :(

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Leprkon said:
I think the Denon receiver will not put out sound until you run the set-up program the first time. I'm not sure, as I don't have one, but I seem to remember this solution from a couple of posts like this one. :(

Your right, it won't. I already tried.

W

woodlab

Audiophyte
Will do...

Santa was pretty good...probably better than I deserve. Anyhow, that's more than I knew yesterday. Thanks to all for the posts. I'll run the setup program and see if that clears up some of the mystery. Also, I've been able to watch DVD's for sometime now, just not through my receiver. It's receiver management that I'm stuck on right now. I feel like an ape trying to figure out a typewriter right now.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
The receiver setup is "do-able" using the receiver's little display, but it is a lot easier using the OSD (on screen display) viewed on the TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis