Help Choosing New Speakers

D

DCRanger

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Newbie here. We're in the process of building a new house and we're at the stage where we'll be running wire for the sound system soon.

Our living room is 15x20. This will be the primary area for watching TV and movies. The TV/AVR will be on the 15 ft wall. This room also opens to a dining room and kitchen so it's a rather large room overall. We have 15" vaulted ceilings. I'd like to stay under $1300 for 5 speakers and a powered sub-woofer.

Currently I'm running this in my rental house:

Harman Kardon AVR 210, Polk CSi30 (Center) and 4 Polk RM6750s surrounds with a Velodyne CHT-10 Powered Sub. Sounds pretty good but I'm ready for a slight upgrade.

We want in-wall fronts/center and in-ceiling surrounds for the new house. We're not hard core audioholics...just mainly TV/Blue-Ray movies and occasional music, but would still like our monies worth in terms of speakers.

Our sound guy (sub contractor) who will be installing the speakers and wiring to the TV and AVR can and will install anything but I asked him to quote me the price for some Proficient Speakers and Sub. Here's what he gave me. What do you think in terms of price and overall sound quality?

2-PROFICIENT FRONTS PFAW800 $308.00
2-PROFICIENT REARS PFAC840 (230.00 EACH) $460.00
1-PROFICIENT CENTER PFAIW625 $273.00
1- PROFICIENT SUB WOOFER PFAGS10 $349.00
Total -$1390

And I'll be purchasing a new Pioneer Elite (either one of the SC or VSX models...I think).

Thanks!!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The subwoofer has to be large enough and powerful enough to fill the entire space including any attached spaces open to the room. Assuming the combined space is roughly 8000cuft then your budget will just about cover a decent subwoofer and if it exceeds that you may need to up the budget more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis