help choosing new setup

keltik

keltik

Enthusiast
Hi,

I've just finished moving to the US from Scotland and I'm finally getting settled, all my electronics have been left back in Scotland to my very happy father.

For the first time im venturing into buying a proper home theatre system, previously I had bought HTiB systems which were always missing something.

Anyway.. I just need some advice, I have been looking at getting:

Onkoyo NR818 Receiver - $700
Definitive technology procinema 1000 speakers - $1300

Also im looking for advice on any equipment I need for the setup wiring, plugs etc..

And lastly advice on a blu-ray player.. I'm tempted to go for a cheap Panasonic ;BDT220 which I can get through my work for $80 and then eventually get the Oppo BDP-103..

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome, to the forum and the US...

Whats your complete budget a to z? Whats your rooms size?

Im guessing your budget would be around $2500 complete?

Go for HSU vtf2 $583 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
Onkyo 709 $400 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
PS3 for dvd and streaming $260 http://www.amazon.com/PS3-250GB-Uncharted-Bundle-PlayStation-3/dp/B009CYJ8SA/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1354049344&sr=1-3
Focal towers $729 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCAL814V/FOCAL-Chorus-814V-716v-Dual-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Gloss-Black-Pair/1.html
focal center $300 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/FOCALCC814V/FOCAL-Chorus-CC814V-800V-Dual-6-Center-Speaker-Gloss-Black-Each/1.html
surrounds $129 http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-AVBP2-Surround-Satellite-Speakers/dp/B00067OLOS/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1354049568&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=bipole+speaker

That leaves you around $100 for cables...
With them sale prices you wont find much better, the focals are medium high end, the HSU sub I personally own and have a lot of faith in it, IMO best sub for anywhere near its price. The 709 is a nice avr, has preouts for future separate amps, plus good room eq and decent power. As far as the surrounds, you can pick anything from bookshelfs or di bi pole setups, but surrounds don't do much and I would not spend a lot of your budget on them.... The fluance are decent and inexpensive...
Now for blu rays and dvd function, I always use a PS3, it plays blurays awesome, and you can get Netflix, internet, amazon prime, ect through it, which I use often...

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Panasonic part is good.
However the receiver and speaker balance/ratio, is off.

keltik

keltik

Enthusiast
Thanks guys..

@ImcLoud I'll look into more detail at that setup when I get home.. i can stretch to that list evenbsticking with the Nr818 reciever... The reviews on the speakers look pretty damn sweet... My living room is pretty big, its attaxhed on to the kitchen and has vaulted ceilings so im lookong for some decent power... Ive been considering a Ps3 as my blu ray but im mot sure, the video quality would surely be better on a dedicated player.

@afterlife2 those entry level Pio's have rrally good reviews and are at a very good price point... I assumr the sub isnt up to scratch if your advising I buy the energy 12"?

The noob in me wants to go the easy route and buy all 5.1 speakers together so that they all work well together but i really want to try and put together a great sounding system now that i have the oppertunity.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The video quality on the ps3 will be the same as a dedicated player, but I don't necessarily recommend using one. They are kinda noisy and a bit more cumbersome than a stand alone player.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
.. Ive been considering a Ps3 as my blu ray but im mot sure, the video quality would surely be better on a dedicated player.

The video quality will be the same if you are using a digital signal. If you are using an analog signal, one of the Oppo's with fancy analog codecs would be better than one without a fancy codec.

Through HDMI, I seriously doubt that anyone could tell a difference in a $1,000 player and a PS3.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys..
@afterlife2 those entry level Pio's have rrally good reviews and are at a very good price point... I assumr the sub isnt up to scratch if your advising I buy the energy 12"?
Yeah If you get them just the Pioneer speakers. If your place is big than you may need 2 subs. How big is your room?
You can always get 2 Dayton 12" subs: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-629

Energy: Amazon.com: Energy ESW-M8 NA 1,200-Watt Subwoofer: Electronics

Bic: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

Member J_garcia here is selling his mint Bluray Oppo 83 look at the classified section.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'll look into more detail at that setup when I get home.. i can stretch to that list evenbsticking with the Nr818 reciever... The reviews on the speakers look pretty damn sweet... My living room is pretty big, its attaxhed on to the kitchen and has vaulted ceilings so im lookong for some decent power... Ive been considering a Ps3 as my blu ray but im mot sure, the video quality would surely be better on a dedicated player.

those entry level Pio's have rrally good reviews and are at a very good price point... I assumr the sub isnt up to scratch if your advising I buy the energy 12"?

The noob in me wants to go the easy route and buy all 5.1 speakers together so that they all work well together but i really want to try and put together a great sounding system now that i have the oppertunity.
I agree with the Focal recommendation, Focal is nice. For surrounds,
people tend to have their own preference. >> I prefer the monopole,
direct radiating speakers. As an option, The Acoustic Energy Aego T
speakers are a nice option - and are 30% off the close-out price. >>
If you go this route, you can get your 5.0 speakers from AC4L ........
Acoustic Energy makes nice speakers
ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGO AE12-10 T Series 4in Satellite Speaker Black, Each | Accessories4less

If you desire to stretch the budget, then I can give a link for some
Focal speakers to use as surrounds.

Pioneer is a good option for a tight budget - however, Focal is in another
league.

HSU is a good option for subwoofers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you are serious about the focals I would jump on them asap, that sale inst going to last long...

As far as the receiver, my oppinion on avr's is this- they to me will always be the weakest part of the chain, they break down often {I know some guys will chime in here saying they had their trusty marantz since the 70's, but they break, take my word for it}, they don't make great amounts of power, and they change to new software and new inputs, and new versions of this or that, too often, Its a fact companies like Denon, Onlyo, yamaha, ect make new models almost every single year outdating the one you bought 4 months ago.... So that being said, I wouldnt spend more than $400 on an avr, and I would make sure it had preouts,

ALTHOUGH- this deal on the 1222K is insane, Ill admist I would probably stretch it to afford this devil for $549 {even though no trigger} Newegg.com - Pioneer SC-1222-K 7.2-Channel Network Ready AV Receiver I played with one at AVD and it is a nice AVR for sure, Honestly I like it better than the 818 hands down... Almost half the price and last week it was $1100, but sale ends tonight I believe...

So anyway, The pioneer or onkyo with the focals, and {you pick a set of surrounds, they are so trivial its not funny, basically pick a set that you ike the looks of, because I have had surrounds for a while and they only make the sound for little stuff like car doors, foot steps, ect, nothing you will notice a difference with, my buddy uses his old htiab fronts as surrounds, and they do the same thing my $300 ascends do}

Now as far as the PS3, if you are using HDMI {which you are} you will never notice a difference, I don't care what you spend, but the only thing I notice that isnt a deal breaker for me since I have a ps3 on every tv in the house, is they dont stack {unless on top, but they do stand}, they are louder than some dvd players {but I have honestly NEVER noticed!!! Its 15 feet from me, and Im watching a movie at 88db, if I can pick up the sound of that ps3, I should be in the Xmen}....

So think it through but make sure the sales don't pass you buy, even that sub is on black friday sale still, it goes back up to what I paid for mine pretty soon...:rolleyes:

PS the pioneer is new I believe not refurbed too...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome, to the forum and the US...

Whats your complete budget a to z? Whats your rooms size?

Im guessing your budget would be around $2500 complete?

Go for HSU vtf2 $583 VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer
Onkyo 709 $400 Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less
PS3 for dvd and streaming $260 Amazon.com: PS3 250GB Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Bundle: PlayStation 3;: Video Games
Focal towers $729 FOCAL Chorus 814V 716v Dual 6½ Floorstanding Speakers Gloss Black Pair | Accessories4less
focal center $300 FOCAL Chorus CC814V 800V Dual 6½" Center Speaker Gloss Black Each | Accessories4less
surrounds $129 Amazon.com: Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers: Electronics

That leaves you around $100 for cables...
With them sale prices you wont find much better, the focals are medium high end, the HSU sub I personally own and have a lot of faith in it, IMO best sub for anywhere near its price. The 709 is a nice avr, has preouts for future separate amps, plus good room eq and decent power. As far as the surrounds, you can pick anything from bookshelfs or di bi pole setups, but surrounds don't do much and I would not spend a lot of your budget on them.... The fluance are decent and inexpensive...
Now for blu rays and dvd function, I always use a PS3, it plays blurays awesome, and you can get Netflix, internet, amazon prime, ect through it, which I use often...
Another option would be the BA Vs series, these are amazing speakers... but cost more, that price is each, vs the Focals, but I would say they will be worth the price difference, I have hear dsimilar focals, and my firend just got his Bostons, and they have me considering changing my trusty 340 front soundstage out...
BOSTON ACOUSTICS VS336 VS Series 3-Way 6-1/2 in Tower Speaker Black Each | Accessories4less
BOSTON ACOUSTICS VS325C Center Channel Speaker Cherry | Accessories4less

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be the BA Vs series, these are amazing speakers... but cost more, that price is each, vs the Focals, but I would say they will be worth the price difference, I have hear dsimilar focals, and my firend just got his Bostons, and they have me considering changing my trusty 340 front soundstage out...
BOSTON ACOUSTICS VS336 VS Series 3-Way 6-1/2 in Tower Speaker Black Each | Accessories4less
BOSTON ACOUSTICS VS325C Center Channel Speaker Cherry | Accessories4less
I was wandering if you heard them by now - they are really worth it.
If you can stretch the budget - a no brainer.:)

http://ap.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-336-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-P239.aspx

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I was wandering if you heard them by now - they are really worth it.
If you can stretch the budget - a no brainer.:)

http://ap.bostonacoustics.com/-VS-336-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-P239.aspx
They sound amazing, honestly impressed me, even with music we did a little moving them around getting them rite, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out them are some nice speakers... Their sound stage is Huge, defined, and no harshness or brightness, and they keep that sound no matter how much power you feed them.... Very nice speaker, I just don't want to spend another $1700 on speakers rite now, I just bought the jades {which as nice as the bostons are the jades sound cleaner, more defined, and handle lows better, but the vs's are warmer, plus the jades are more than twice the price}...

I know a4l is almost out of them, they actually have one cherry center left and only a few sets of black towers {I may have that backwards}, no cherry towers, and no black centers.... {also may be backwards}

I recently seen a used set if black vs335 towers sell for $1400 on ebay, and Im like, dont these people know they can buy them from a4l with a warranty for less than that...

keltik

keltik

Enthusiast
Thanks again guys.. I think I'm sold on the BA V's you mentioned.. What surrounds would be good to compliment them? I listen to both music and watch movies so not sure if I should go bipole or monopole?

So with the BAs you mentioned at the front, HSU vtf2 sub.. I think I'm still leaning towards the NR818 for the few extra features it has over the pioneer.. I think.. just need to decide on the satellites.

As for the ps3 I'm very tempted as I was considering buying a new console anyway... I was originally going yo wait for the next gen PlayStation or Xbox but who knows when that will happen.

keltik

keltik

Enthusiast
I just noticed the BAs are 700 each... I thought that was for the pair lol.. I need to think if I can stretch that.. I know its a good investment compared to anything else but 1400 for 2 towers is a lot... I know it will be worth it though.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just noticed the BAs are 700 each... I thought that was for the pair lol.. I need to think if I can stretch that.. I know its a good investment compared to anything else but 1400 for 2 towers is a lot... I know it will be worth it though.
Your the captain, only you can decide - they are for real.
Good Luck with your decision.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the States and to AH!

My friend has the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350's and they are amazing for the price. The 450 for $280 a pair shipped (which an absolute bargain) x2 while running no center speaker for now, will be much better than the speakers in the Procinema set. Add a robust subwoofer like, a SV Sound PB1000 for $500 shipped or Hsu Research VTF-1 MK2 for $465 shipped and you have a setup that will handily trump the Procinema 1000.

This is the matching center but outrageously priced on Amazon, L/C/R 2002. Electronics Expo has a good price on them, caveat emptor.

keltik

keltik

Enthusiast
offered Denon 1910 and Definitve Tech Pro Cinema 600 speakers for $600... should i?

Hi guys..I'm currently in the process of choosing a new surround sound system.. And a guy at my work is moving back to Europe and offered me his Denon 1910 and Pro Cinema 609 speakers for $600..

They are almost 2 years old but he has always been travelling with work and he's an older guy, doesn't exactly turn it up very loud etc..

What you think?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Go listen to the setup, if you like it why not pick it up? In the end only you can decide what is good for you. As for the price, I have no clue if that's reasonable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis