Help! Advice for very entry level subwoofer

P

Pason22

Audiophyte
Hello- I have a Sony STR-DG510 receiver and just two (old school) Boston Acoustics speakers- coming through on a 2 channel setting. My living room is about 15x15. Don’t have any bass to speak of. Set up a soundbar for our new 4k TV and realized what we’ve been missing out on- the subwoofer! Long story/short, we weren’t thrilled with the soundbar. We’ll keep the receiver/speaker set up but now need a subwoofer. Just a starter, dare I say cheap to add something to our current set up. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Last edited:
P

Pason22

Audiophyte
Think I found what I need with the Dayton Audio link. Appreciate it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The 12i" is out of stock but there's a date on it that says when it will be back in stock

P

Pason22

Audiophyte
Room is so small and wife isn’t a huge fan of bass so I compromised for the 8”. Bummed that the receiver bass level on goes to 6 so this will be a major increase. ✌

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My bass level, on my Sony receiver only allows me to increase the level to “6”. This one doesn’t go to eleven.

View attachment 42313
Then again in many avrs levels can go to +/- 12 or 15.....but if not dB based hard to know what it means particularly. No gain adjustment on sub or is that maxed out?

P

Pason22

Audiophyte
Why do you need to do that, tho?
As it is, the sound is very plain, good, as we’ve been used to it but once we hooked up the soundbar (that’s going back) we really enjoyed the bass level. The two speaker system we’ve had, the bass level can’t be increased to the levels we enjoyed with the soundbar. I tried to increase the level through the receiver but the limit (6) doesn’t cut it- thus, a subwoofer addition.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As it is, the sound is very plain, good, as we’ve been used to it but once we hooked up the soundbar (that’s going back) we really enjoyed the bass level. The two speaker system we’ve had, the bass level can’t be increased to the levels we enjoyed with the soundbar. I tried to increase the level through the receiver but the limit (6) doesn’t cut it- thus, a subwoofer addition.
Subwoofers vary in capability tho. If you're impressed by a soundbar sub wait until you can experience a real sub!

P

Pason22

Audiophyte
Which sub did you get?
Well, oddly enough, I started looking locally on the “offer up” app (like eBay) and a friend of the family was selling her Polk Audio subwoofer for $50. When she found out that I was the interested party, she gave it to me for free!! I couldn’t just take it so I gave her $25. It’s 2 years old. I hooked it up yesterday and it’s so perfect. Fills up the room more than adequately. A perfect piece to our humble system. Thanks again for the suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis