Help a noob out... Review these products and tell me if I am doing the right thing.

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out. I am building a small house. My living room will be 16 x 14. I have done a lot of research on home audio, especially HTIB. I have decided to go a different route though. Can someone please review these items or suggest better items to me.

First up are the actual speakers and sub...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626315963&type=product&skuid=6359576

Next is the reciever..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1099395588649&type=product&skuid=7034121

both of these products get spactacular reviews.... I am trying hard to keep the price for my future system under $500 since I wish to put most of my money towards a Samsung DLP HDTV. Thanks for everything.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
That should be a great starter system.
And actually looks like a great price for that set-up.
However, I certainly would shop around. Due to Best Buy is not always known for the best price.... But they are local and thats convienent.

That should be a decent starter system. The info on the Pioneer receiver is not to be trusted however - considering they think that the receiver features "progressive-scan video output". lol. It's not going to have many bells and whistles at that price but it should do very well for you and you can upgrade one component at a time at a later date should you choose to spend more.

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
thanks

thanks alot. yes.... Circuit City has the same exact reciever for 169.99.

Whoa...

Bestbuy should live up to there name.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, you could take a look at the Athena Micra-6 system in black. BB has them for just $300 right now, and that's a pretty good deal. That wouldn't leave you too much for a receiver, but the one for $169 would probably work OK for the time being with small-ish, easy to drive speakers like either of those sets.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I had listened to the Athena set at BB, and was not impressed. Not sure on the Yamaha set, but I was thinking about buying it for my mother. Just didn't have time to hear them. However it is a nice looking set, and I may go back to listen to them.

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
well as far as the athene set goes...

i am sure there nice. Especially for a beginner like myself. However, I love the whole floorstanding style. I just think it is elegant and professional looking.

Anyone else feel this way?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've never found Yamaha's cheaper speakers to sound good; they were my first speakers too, but even then I wasn't happy with them.

The Athenas are not exactly great, and not much that is that cheap will, but for the price they are decent and well reviewed. I don't really care for the looks too much.

You can get stands for the Athenas too, though that will then cost you more, so...I'd have to say go listen to them both if you can before you buy. The included stands do make the Yamahas look nice, but they are still just smaller bookshelf speakers, regardless of the stands. Even at this price point, I'll take sound over looks...

You can also take a look at the offerings from www.hometheaterdirect.com and www.fluance.com

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I'm happy with the black Piano finish on my Acoustech's :)

Also, not really into bookshelve set-ups.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis