D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
Hi folks, I'm a newbee here just getting back into the audio world. I'm a 48 year old audio freak from the 70s. Started building systems in the later 60's, 10 years old, built my first stereo using an Phillips cassette player with the head phone jack feeding an old Silvertone amp with 6BQ5 tubes for a robust output of 12 watts feeding some make shift speaker cabinets. Kept building systems until about the mid 80s when marriage and kids slowed life down. About a year ago I built some speakers for my shop, a 30X60 brick heaven.

Last week the wife wanted a new surround system and I ended up buying an Onkyo TS-XR703. Replaced the surrounds on some older AR 610s and put some AR 19s for the rear. Built a sub woofer out of an newer 12" JBL takeoff and the audio bug has been rekindled. Still need the side surrounds

So for all practical purposes, I have been away from the audio field for around 20 years and I need some help.

I have several amps and various other pieces of equipment that I'm going to put back to work in the shop and I want better speakers for the surround. I have always like ARs because of the clear high ends. But I want to build all these myself. Can you folks give me some insight as to what manufactures are moving up there in the audio world. I want to purchase some good drivers for both in home systems (and a third for the sons room) and I want to build some good ones for my car toys, a 66 GTO, 68 Firebird and 85 Corvette.

Thanks ahead of time and sorry about the long post, just getting back into it and very excited.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You should check out Parts Express, Madisound, and GR Research. They all offer plans, kits, drivers, and just general ideas for building speakers.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....and, welcome, DrySeals, a most excellent first post, Sir...took the left and right stereo signals out from the headphone jack, huh?....excellent....I believe Mac was the first one here to pitch that a few months ago....

majorloser

majorloser

Welcome back with us old farts!

Building since the 60's.........the days of quad and 8-track.

Can't have a '68 Firebird without the 8-track, Deep Purple tape and the feather "clip" hanging from the rearview mirror:D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
majorloser said:
Welcome back with us old farts!

Building since the 60's.........the days of quad and 8-track.

Can't have a '68 Firebird without the 8-track, Deep Purple tape and the feather "clip" hanging from the rearview mirror:D
....Major, I loved my Teac reel-to-reel, and I mean loved it....never bought a Tandberg but was tempted....then Nakamichi blew my Teac away, and I got a Dragon for 800 bucks that probably had 20 hours on it....sweet memories....the hottest technology now, after processing, imo, is these 2-way speakers with the advent of subs......

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Man, you don't want to ruin that '66 Goat by putting speakers in it....just sell it to me for cheap and I'll drive it as is. It would look good next to my '70 Monte Carlo. Besides, you have too many. You need the room...I can tell.

My uncle has a pristine original '62 Grand Prix that I will most likely end up with. It is almost completely original, including the paint...Red with white seats and black carpet. 389, three twos, four speed and eight lug wheels. Sharp as they get and under 100k miles. Nobody can believe it has the original paint. It won a preservation award at the state Pontiac show.

BTW; I'm 48 as well and I still have my Craig Power Play eight track that was in my Monte for several years.:D :eek:

Welcome to the forum!
Duke

majorloser

majorloser

I would have given up my left nut when the Dragon came out! When Stereo Review first did an article on it I bugged my dad to buy me one. Of course he just gave me "that" look:mad:

Just the idea that the tape turned, not the motor direction...................

I still have an old Sanyo? turntable up in my attic. It plays both sides of the album with a tone arm on the top and bottom. It has a electric driven drawer that comes out (like a CD player). Has all the features of todays CD players just plays albums. I haven't dug it out in years. Can't remember the make and model. It was a "one of a kind" design that Stereo Review rated top new product that year. I bought it as soon as my local B&M could order it. I guess I ought to dig out the box just to play with it again:rolleyes:

Damn it, there we go again. Hijacking threads. Sorry Dryseals:eek:

majorloser

majorloser

The Dukester said:
BTW; I'm 48 as well and I still have my Craig Power Play eight track that was in my Monte for several years.

Do you still remember how to wedge the matchbook in the corner to keep it in the right track?

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
majorloser said:
Do you still remember how to wedge the matchbook in the corner to keep it in the right track?

Absolutely! It was in the car(the matchbook, that is) until I started restoring it a few years ago. The Craig is an S680...I just looked at it and the separate amp that goes with it. I KNOW I have the manual here somewhere....can you say Audioholic??? I think it was rated at 30wpc with only 10% distortion. That's just crazy.:eek:

D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
The matchbook, talk about flashbacks.........and I thought I would never get one for $2.50. Hey I looked at some of the sights posted, pretty cool. The GS Research look like a good place to start, but I'm curious about the Peerless peakers at Madisound and several others. Knowing that I like the sound of Acoustic Research, any suggestions.

Some of the old equipment names brought back some memories, I think I've lost more equipment than I can remember. But I still have four turntables, Sony PSX 600, Garrard Zero 100, BSR cheapy along with a Zenith I'm about to use for some re-recording some old 78s. I even have an fully functional antique Victrola, I guess that makes five.

But seriously, I'm looking for guidance on driver selection, so many names and none I recognize.

And about the 66 goat, nothing will be changed that can't be quickly put back. The 68 Firebird is the one I really intend to put a nice system in, daily driver.

I'm glad to see some old farts still in the swing of things, it's too bad I fell out for such a long time, Oh and the headphone jack thingy, split to make two channels, not a real stereo, but at the time was kickin booty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis