Height speaker layouts that work with both Auro 3D and Atmos.

M

mikelee

Audiophyte
I am moving into a new to me home and am setting up a new home theater set up when I get moved in.
I have access to the attic over my listening area and am trying to figure out a 7.2.X layout that will work for both Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D
So the X is I am thinking about 4 height speakers, or maybe even 4 height surrounds plus the voice of god overhead center.
Receiver is either going to be a Denon AVR-X8500H or Marantz SR8012

So assuming I only want 4 or maybe 5 height speakers, plus a 7 channel floor speaker layout, what is my best option for my height speaker layout? Room is a standard rectangle living room.

If I had to I rather optimize for Auro 3d over Atmos, but is there a best layout that works with both?

Thanks
Mike

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am moving into a new to me home and am setting up a new home theater set up when I get moved in.
I have access to the attic over my listening area and am trying to figure out a 7.2.X layout that will work for both Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D
So the X is I am thinking about 4 height speakers, or maybe even 4 height surrounds plus the voice of god overhead center.
Receiver is either going to be a Denon AVR-X8500H or Marantz SR8012

So assuming I only want 4 or maybe 5 height speakers, plus a 7 channel floor speaker layout, what is my best option for my height speaker layout? Room is a standard rectangle living room.

If I had to I rather optimize for Auro 3d over Atmos, but is there a best layout that works with both?

Thanks
Mike
Auro 3D is over hyped and just about dead. Do not engineer for Auro 3D.

Dolby Atmos works best and will survive. So engineer for Dolby Atmos. Following Dolby specs is critical. I have just set up a 7.2.4 system and went though this decision tree. So I have saved you the trouble. Engineer for Dolby Atmos to the letter and you won't regret it. It woks for movies and their upmixer is the only one that is any good. Giving Auro 3D the time of day is a serious mistake.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have to agree with TLS. Auro is basically doa. There is some content but it’s mostly available in Europe. You’d do better to consider DTS-X/Atmos over Auro. That would mean using heights instead of tops, but can be affective. I, like TLS went IC for Dolby Atmos. Dtsx films also sound excellent.

M

mikelee

Audiophyte
Thanks for that. I appreciate the information.
However that really does not answer my initial question.
Is there a height speaker layout that will work for both?
I'll refine that by saying a 7.2.4 layout. So 4 height speakers.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Cheesehead85

Cheesehead85

Audiophyte
since your engineering for dolby and dts works awesome in that situation the answer to your question is engineer for Dolby Atmos !

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis