Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I thought about loading my collection onto two or three of the Sony 300 CD units daisy chained together, but didn't get that far with it!
How do you keep track of them? IIRC, the Sony could be programmed to know which disk was in which slot and (maybe?) you could even program it to skip that one stupid song whenever you played a certain disc. Actually, that was something that really pissed me off. Instead of programming which song you didn't want, you had to program the songs you wanted. I don't buy a CD for one song, I buy it because I like the group but sometimes it seems like they threw in a crappy "filler" song to complete the album!
Ultimately, I punted the idea before I got too far. The prospect of data entry into the Sony (entered by moving a cursor over the alphabet) was too much for my lazy ass! (My anal claim to fame is typing out index cards for the hundreds of cassettes I recorded on an electric(!) typewriter)
That was a long time ago, and now I am wondering if Sony refined the interface so you could do the data entry on a computer, or, even better it would read the info off of the disc!

But if you want to pull a specific disc for a car trip, how do you find it?
I kept track of them in the index I compiled, printed and put in the binder (mentioned in the post). I have it divided by slot number, genre, artist and album. And yes, you can program the display for each slot, but there is a limited number of characters (can't recall exactly how many), so you end up using a lot of creative abbreviations - so you have to remember what they mean. That's where the index comes in. In fact, if you create an index, you don't really need to program disc names in the display at all. But, the job is much easier if you plug a computer keyboard into the changer - you can just type them in.

After this model of CD changer came out, the writing was already on the wall and I don't believe Sony produced a newer model. They did come out with a 400-disc DVD changer, as well as a sharp looking Blu-Ray version, but they've all been discontinued for years. They are handy machines, for saving space with a collection, but SONOS is even handier, so...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, well...thanks....for nuthin'. :p
Saying to throw that sh!t out ain't nuthin'.

You'll thank me later!

The prospect of data entry into the Sony (entered by moving a cursor over the alphabet) was too much for my lazy ass!
Mine has an old school keyboard plug-in thing on it somewhere. I never used it.

It started skipping here and there after being laid up for maybe a year. Maybe dust on the laser? Help! I effin' love that thing.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Saying to throw that sh!t out ain't nuthin'.

You'll thank me later!
You stomped all over my hopes that bathing my records like babies would produce miraculous results! ;)

It started skipping here and there after being laid up for maybe a year. Maybe dust on the laser? Help! I effin' love that thing.
If not for the ability to use a keyboard, I would never have programmed all those slots. I haven't used my machines in ages, so I have no idea how they would function now. The carousels still rotate and the disc-eject still works, which is what matters.

You should do a complete strip-down of yours to find the problem and report back with the results.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@KEW @GO-NAD!
I always just did an old spin on the wheel o fortune knob, where it stopped was the disc I listened to!

I do the same for my 100 disc Pio, just pic a disc at random!

I have another 6 disc Pio in the garage. It uses those Pio "cartridges", the exact same ones that were common to be used in the CD changer installed in the trunk of your car. If you had that home CD player, the changer in the trunk, and a few of those cartridges, that would be a fairly convenient setup (in 1999 ;))

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
@KEW @GO-NAD!
I always just did an old spin on the wheel o fortune knob, where it stopped was the disc I listened to!

I do the same for my 100 disc Pio, just pic a disc at random!

I have another 6 disc Pio in the garage. It uses those Pio "cartridges", the exact same ones that were common to be used in the CD changer installed in the trunk of your car. If you had that home CD player, the changer in the trunk, and a few of those cartridges, that would be a fairly convenient setup (in 1999 ;))
I have a very eclectic taste in music - classical, jazz, blues, classic rock, heavy metal, indie, folk, latin, reggae, world...it goes on and on. Just spinning the dial wouldn't do. What I played depended on the circumstances and my mood. Plus, my Christmas CDs are in there - I wouldn't be keen on cuing up the Grinch soundtrack in the middle of July.

Many moons ago, I had a Luxman 5-disc CD player that used a cartridge. I gave that machine to my youngest sister a few years back...I have no idea what she did with it, but I didn't see it in a long time. Kinda wish I had it back now...no idea why.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This was amongst the collection of records I owned, as opposed to the ones passed on from my mother. When I pulled it out of the sleeve, I was horrified by it's condition. It was covered in scuffs, scratches and prints. Regardless, I put it on the TT, brushed off the loose dust and "dropped the needle". And...it didn't play horribly. There were quite a few pops and crackles, but no skips. A wash may help clean up the noise a bit.

One thing that was very noticeable - the dynamics and bass extension. After listening to a couple of folk albums and a couple of Elvis albums, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my setup, because bass extension was pitiful. This album reassured me that all is well on that front.:)

View attachment 40125
Which Elvis? If EP which albums?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Many moons ago, I had a Luxman 5-disc CD player that used a cartridge. I gave that machine to my youngest sister a few years back...I have no idea what she did with it, but I didn't see it in a long time. Kinda wish I had it back now...no idea why.
Because it was cool and a big deal at the time ... and the memories!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If not for the ability to use a keyboard, I would never have programmed all those slots. I haven't used my machines in ages, so I have no idea how they would function now. The carousels still rotate and the disc-eject still works, which is what matters.
I forgot about the keyboard plug, that should have made the difference. I guess I just had other priorities at the time.

So, effectively, at this point, for your discs, you have one of those carousels like dry cleaners have to keep clothes organized! :cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You should do a complete strip-down of yours to find the problem and report back with the results.
Talk about owning the "thanks for nuthin'" top spot ... :D

You went thru some expense and effort to burn all your CD's, right? I ask you about it every few years but never act on the info. I don't want to empty all the CDs. I have a hand written account of what CD is where and use it like Kurt says. But I did like it when the player worked 100%. I don't want much more in the way of physical media. 300 CDs and 300 LPs is enough. Streaming Amazon Music to a little BT speaker has made me aware of how limitless the selections seem.

the disc-eject still works,
There's a disc eject?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Talk about owning the "thanks for nuthin'" top spot ... :D

You went thru some expense and effort to burn all your CD's, right? I ask you about it every few years but never act on the info. I don't want to empty all the CDs. I have a hand written account of what CD is where and use it like Kurt says. But I did like it when the player worked 100%. I don't want much more in the way of physical media. 300 CDs and 300 LPs is enough. Streaming Amazon Music to a little BT speaker has made me aware of how limitless the selections seem.

There's a disc eject?
20200925_161316.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Give me her email and I'll send her a link for one of these retro-cool record players:

That way she can borrow your albums and play them in her room at her leisure!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The record label protector arrived on Saturday, so I decided to give it a go. It came with an extra set of O-Rings and thin rubber washers.

20200926_155236A.jpg

The thing I like about it, is that I can easily soak a record to try to loosen dirt before physically washing it. I thoroughly cleaned the sink, added 3 drops of dawn and filled it with warm (warmer than lukewarm, but cooler than dishwashing temperature) water. The amount of bubbles might indicate that I used too much dawn, but they dissipated fairly quickly. After soaking for a few minutes, I used a clean microfibre to give each record a gentle "scrub". The label protector did a great job. I washed about a dozen records, but had just a couple of small leaks. I think I had tightened the fasteners too much on those and distorted the rubber washers. That said, only a small amount of water got in and didn't cause any damage. I think I'll try a couple of tap (faucet) washers and see how they work.

20200926_122711A.jpg

I wasn't too worried about excessive soap on the records, because with the label protector, I was able to very thoroughly rinse them. We have very good water here, so I didn't go to the extreme of using distilled water.

20200926_123131A.jpg

I finished up by shaking as much water off as I could, giving them a quick swipe with a clean microfibre cloth to absorb the droplets and letting them finish air drying before playing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis