Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

This was like 50% off at $25 so it might be worth something. Maybe when Ozzy dies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 40030View attachment 40031

Looks like I've re-joined the ranks of vinyl spinners. My first TT since leaving home to join the Navy at the age of 17. Even after my daughter bought those albums, I was still holding out. But, when a box full of vinyl got passed down to me, I couldn't do it any longer. I was seriously considering the Fluance RT84 or RT85. I emailed them last week, requesting clarification of the effective mass of their tonearms, which went unanswered. This made my decision to purchase the Debut Carbon that much easier. Plus, it was on sale. Plus, I'm supporting a local business with which I have had happy previous purchases.

The in-store demo sealed the deal. The motor was silent. We played music through several sets of speakers, including pair of floor-standers sitting on either side of the TT. The feet seemed to do a good job of isolating it from vibration. The records were in mint shape, I'm sure, as there wasn't a crackle to be heard.

Of course, my daughter was overjoyed when I brought it home. Setup was pretty simple and I allowed her to play her Lord Huron album, Strange Trails, as the first piece of vinyl to hit the platter. She is utterly smitten with the format. I must admit, the sense of nostalgia that swept over me was more intense than I expected. I explained how the whole thing worked and made it clear to her how delicate and sensitive the setup is.

I played a couple of records from my "new" collection - they really need some cleaning.
Yup, you went and drank the kool-aid!

Welcome to the club......

I still stream more than anything, but CDs and Vinyl are still in the mix too.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! The photo lends an orang-ish hue to it, but it's really looks like Ferrari red. Couldn't resist. Sales dude said, "most customers really like the red one......but end up buying the black one".
See my avatar, I like the blue one! Mine is the original Debut Carbon (before the DC model was released).

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Finally received a response from Fluance about the effective mass of their tonearms - the listed specs include the cartridge. That info is too late, of course...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Finally received a response from Fluance about the effective mass of their tonearms - the listed specs include the cartridge. That info is too late, of course...
Come on let’s see the full setup, man. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Come on let’s see the full setup, man. :)
Here's my thread in Pros & Joe's. The pics there are just missing the TT.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Of course, my daughter was overjoyed when I brought it home.
Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better!
But deep down, you know it was no surprise for her!
She feigned overjoy just out of sympathy for how "easy" you are.
She played you before you knew there was "a game".
You don't stand (and never stood) a chance!o_O:p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better!
But deep down, you know it was no surprise for her!
She feigned overjoy just out of sympathy for how "easy" you are.
She played you before you knew there was "a game".
You don't stand (and never stood) a chance!o_O:p
Jeez, are you channeling my wife!?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
This was amongst the collection of records I owned, as opposed to the ones passed on from my mother. When I pulled it out of the sleeve, I was horrified by it's condition. It was covered in scuffs, scratches and prints. Regardless, I put it on the TT, brushed off the loose dust and "dropped the needle". And...it didn't play horribly. There were quite a few pops and crackles, but no skips. A wash may help clean up the noise a bit.

One thing that was very noticeable - the dynamics and bass extension. After listening to a couple of folk albums and a couple of Elvis albums, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my setup, because bass extension was pitiful. This album reassured me that all is well on that front.:)

20200924_204614.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dang! A single 300 disc changer wasn't enough??? 2x 300 disc changers o_O o_O o_O

LOL!

I used to own that same Sony unit, had it hooked up to the same system as my 100 disc Pio :cool:

But, I sold the Sony and kept the Pio.

I found that the Sony just took up too much real estate, and I liked the ergonomics on the Pio better (4x25 fold out trays instead of a carousel and a spinner knob).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This was amongst the collection of records I owned, as opposed to the ones passed on from my mother. When I pulled it out of the sleeve, I was horrified by it's condition. It was covered in scuffs, scratches and prints. Regardless, I put it on the TT, brushed off the loose dust and "dropped the needle". And...it didn't play horribly. There were quite a few pops and crackles, but no skips. A wash may help clean up the noise a bit.

One thing that was very noticeable - the dynamics and bass extension. After listening to a couple of folk albums and a couple of Elvis albums, I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my setup, because bass extension was pitiful. This album reassured me that all is well on that front.:)

View attachment 40125
Yeah, I have some records that just seem underwhelming and make you question the media. Then, others that are amazing and make you think that perhaps vinyl is the superior format.

It just reminds us, the mastering is more important than the medium.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Dang! A single 300 disc changer wasn't enough??? 2x 300 disc changers o_O o_O o_O

LOL!

I used to own that same Sony unit, had it hooked up to the same system as my 100 disc Pio :cool:

But, I sold the Sony and kept the Pio.

I found that the Sony just took up too much real estate, and I liked the ergonomics on the Pio better (4x25 fold out trays instead of a carousel and a spinner knob).
Well, I have about 600 CDs.;) I actually don't even use them anymore, except as CD storage. I just pull out a few every now and then for long car trips. I rip all my CDs to FLAC files and stream through SONOS. I still buy CDs because I like to have a hard copy of my music. See the thin binder on top of the radio tuner? That's an index of all my CDs. I may need to get rid of them to make space for vinyl storage. :( Then, I'll have to figure out what to do with my CDs!? Arrrrgh!:mad:

I may end up putting them back in their cases and storing them in the basement, which won't make it convenient for selecting a few for car trips. Or, just download some of the FLAC files to my phone for trips, as needed.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I have about 600 CDs.;) I actually don't even use them anymore, except as CD storage. I just pull out a few every now and then for long car trips. I rip all my CDs to FLAC files and stream through SONOS. I still buy CDs because I like to have a hard copy of my music. See the thin binder on top of the radio tuner? That's an index of all my CDs. I may need to get rid of them to make space for vinyl storage. :( Then, I'll have to figure out what to do with my CDs!? Arrrrgh!:mad:

I may end up putting them back in their cases and storing them in the basement, which won't make it convenient for selecting a few for car trips. Or, just download some of the FLAC files to my phone for trips, as needed.
I thought about loading my collection onto two or three of the Sony 300 CD units daisy chained together, but didn't get that far with it!
How do you keep track of them? IIRC, the Sony could be programmed to know which disk was in which slot and (maybe?) you could even program it to skip that one stupid song whenever you played a certain disc. Actually, that was something that really pissed me off. Instead of programming which song you didn't want, you had to program the songs you wanted. I don't buy a CD for one song, I buy it because I like the group but sometimes it seems like they threw in a crappy "filler" song to complete the album!
Ultimately, I punted the idea before I got too far. The prospect of data entry into the Sony (entered by moving a cursor over the alphabet) was too much for my lazy ass! (My anal claim to fame is typing out index cards for the hundreds of cassettes I recorded on an electric(woohoo! at the time) typewriter)
That was a long time ago, and now I am wondering if Sony refined the interface so you could do the data entry on a computer, or, even better it would read the info off of the disc!

But if you want to pull a specific disc for a car trip, how do you find it?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis