Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I find that sometimes we over think things. I see it all the time right here on the Forums, and I see it in person (I'm in sales). We want to get the best we can for our money. We went to feel good knowing I couldn't do better with our purchasing decision.
Value has to Exceed Cost before we buy.

All of these Turntables have Value. Don't over think it.

It's time to start enjoying one of them.
You have some valid points!

And, here is the reality for any hobby-- When you are first getting started, you just don't/can't know what you really want/need!

It's only with some time using a product and gaining some new experience that you can really start to understand your wants/needs, and what your next purchase should be, whether you keep the old item or sell it to fund the new, etc, etc. Furthermore, it is valuable to understand, exactly what does this extra $ get me? And, you only understand that completely when you work your way up from entry gear to expert level gear.

Everyone wants to hit a home run and be future proof right out the gate, and do it for as cheaply as possible!

The fact is, those are competing factors here!

In the biking world, the saying goes: "The most important thing is that you are out pedalling!"

In the telescope world, the saying goes: "The best scope is the one you use the most."

In the firearms world, the saying goes: "The best pistol is the one in your pocket".

It's all saying the same thing! Don't get your analysis paralysis! Choose an item, understand that it is very unlikely to be the perfect fit, but learn from that and make upgrades as experience and $ dictates.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally I dislike speed inaccuracy or the lack of adjustment for such. I love my old Technics SL1200mk2, if it dies (not likely) the vinyl goes.
Parts and knowledge to repair the SL1200 are plentiful! Heck, there are even websites dedicated to various upgrades!

An SL1200 would always be worth the repair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Parts and knowledge to repair the SL1200 are plentiful! Heck, there are even websites dedicated to various upgrades!

An SL1200 would always be worth the repair.
LOL I simply doubt it would break down in the first place. I do service it myself....the little it needs.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Going to a local shop this afternoon to look at a Debut Carbon DC. It's on sale. If I like it, I'll buy it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since it's priced 50% more, I won't be considering it, so there's probably no point in comparing.
Probably not much point in comparing them in terms of audio unless they're equipped with the same cartridge either....

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
20200921_182702.jpg
20200921_182732.jpg

Looks like I've re-joined the ranks of vinyl spinners. My first TT since leaving home to join the Navy at the age of 17. Even after my daughter bought those albums, I was still holding out. But, when a box full of vinyl got passed down to me, I couldn't do it any longer. I was seriously considering the Fluance RT84 or RT85. I emailed them last week, requesting clarification of the effective mass of their tonearms, which went unanswered. This made my decision to purchase the Debut Carbon that much easier. Plus, it was on sale. Plus, I'm supporting a local business with which I have had happy previous purchases.

The in-store demo sealed the deal. The motor was silent. We played music through several sets of speakers, including pair of floor-standers sitting on either side of the TT. The feet seemed to do a good job of isolating it from vibration. The records were in mint shape, I'm sure, as there wasn't a crackle to be heard.

Of course, my daughter was overjoyed when I brought it home. Setup was pretty simple and I allowed her to play her Lord Huron album, Strange Trails, as the first piece of vinyl to hit the platter. She is utterly smitten with the format. I must admit, the sense of nostalgia that swept over me was more intense than I expected. I explained how the whole thing worked and made it clear to her how delicate and sensitive the setup is.

I played a couple of records from my "new" collection - they really need some cleaning.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations!!! Looks Great
Thanks! The photo lends an orang-ish hue to it, but it's really looks like Ferrari red. Couldn't resist. Sales dude said, "most customers really like the red one......but end up buying the black one".

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats ! what are you using for a cartridge and phono-pre ?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! The photo lends an orang-ish hue to it, but it's really looks like Ferrari red. Couldn't resist. Sales dude said, "most customers really like the red one......but end up buying the black one".
Whoa Looks great! I love the orange-Red! I’m jealous. I spy the Red cartridge too. Sooooooo Glad for u and ur daughter. Let’s see the whole system?! Enjoy and spin.:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis