Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm just learning about Turntables myself as this is not in my Wheelhouse.

I don't quite understand your comment about Moving Coil. I'm looking at this Cartridge

On this unit

I personally do not favor MC cartridges. The stylus is not user replaceable. They are fragile as a rule, and they require a different phono stage from MM models, and can not be plugged into regular phono inputs. You need an MC preamp, as the impedance of the cartridges is very low, and the output is low. Alternatively you have to use a step up transformer. My view is that they are far more trouble than they are worth.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Found some information on this. Figured I'd share for others learning too

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Found some information on this. Figured I'd share for others learning too

Looks like the Denon MC 103 went up in price. Last time it was like 350 or less. MC for $50? I doubt it. This thread has a lot of info too: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/vinyl-news.47017/page-54
Only 60 pages!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm finding that all of the turntable reviews I've read/watched use almost exclusively very subjective descriptions of performance. It's making this process rather bewildering...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm finding that all of the turntable reviews I've read/watched use almost exclusively very subjective descriptions of performance. It's making this process rather bewildering...
Change your mindset!
You are not buying a piece of equipment, you are buying art on which to listen to art!:p
Get it down to two or three models then try not to show any nervous tics (see below) as you ask your daughter which one you should get!

Types of tics
There are many types of tic. Some affect body movement (motor tics) and others result in a sound (vocal or phonic tics).

Examples of tics include:

• blinking, wrinkling the nose or grimacing
  • jerking or banging the head
  • clicking the fingers
  • touching other people or things
  • coughing, grunting or sniffing
  • repeating a sound or phrase – in a small number of cases, this may be something obscene or offensive

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Change your mindset!
You are not buying a piece of equipment, you are buying art on which to listen to art!:p
Get it down to two or three models then try not to show any nervous tics (see below) as you ask your daughter which one you should get!
Thanks for the support.:D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IF you think you can buy a good TT under $100 forget it. Bite the bullet and plan on at least $300 for a good reliable one. Well, maybe a garage or estate sale a good one can be had for under $300, who knows. A few years ago I saw a device at FRY's, only $60, could convert vinyl and cassettes to MP3! About the size of a shoe box. Piece of Chinese-made junk, ended up in the dump and $60 bucks less in my wallet. Live and Learn. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't that a general review problem anyways? :) Maybe it's just a sign not to bother :) ....altho the differences at a given price point are likely minimal anyways. You could always just post up what's most interesting....

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Isn't that a general review problem anyways? :) Maybe it's just a sign not to bother :) ....altho the differences at a given price point are likely minimal anyways. You could always just post up what's most interesting....
This is true. But, at least with amps and speakers, one can find some objective test results to go along with the flowery language.

As for what I find interesting, I like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the RPM 1 Carbon looks very cool, although I don't know if that configuration offers any improvement in performance. And, as also mentioned previously, the Fluance RT85 appears to offer a lot for the money. But, I have reservations about the somewhat high effective mass of the tonearm mated with the higher compliance Ortofon 2m cartridge...as if I know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The new Project EVO I linked looks like the one to have. Or

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is true. But, at least with amps and speakers, one can find some objective test results to go along with the flowery language.

As for what I find interesting, I like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the RPM 1 Carbon looks very cool, although I don't know if that configuration offers any improvement in performance. And, as also mentioned previously, the Fluance RT85 appears to offer a lot for the money. But, I have reservations about the somewhat high effective mass of the tonearm mated with the higher compliance Ortofon 2m cartridge...as if I know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:
Who among the reviewers can or does provide measurements, tho? LOL unless you just want to be certain of it's "musicality"....

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Who among the reviewers can or does provide measurements, tho? LOL unless you just want to be certain of it's "musicality"....
I guess I'm more accustomed to reading Audioholics reviews, which tend to back up their opinions with evidence. The turntable reviews I've seen and read look like reviews of tube amplifiers. :rolleyes: I suppose that makes sense, since turntables and tube amps are both antiquated technology.

Even some single-blind comparisons might offer some insights.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'm more accustomed to reading Audioholics reviews, which tend to back up their opinions with evidence. The turntable reviews I've seen and read look like reviews of tube amplifiers. :rolleyes: I suppose that makes sense, since turntables and tube amps are both antiquated technology.

Even some single-blind comparisons might offer some insights.
I find that sometimes we over think things. I see it all the time right here on the Forums, and I see it in person (I'm in sales). We want to get the best we can for our money. We went to feel good knowing I couldn't do better with our purchasing decision.
Value has to Exceed Cost before we buy.

All of these Turntables have Value. Don't over think it.

It's time to start enjoying one of them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I dislike speed inaccuracy or the lack of adjustment for such. I love my old Technics SL1200mk2, if it dies (not likely) the vinyl goes.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I find that sometimes we over think things. I see it all the time right here on the Forums, and I see it in person (I'm in sales). We want to get the best we can for our money. We went to feel good knowing I couldn't do better with our purchasing decision.
Value has to Exceed Cost before we buy.

All of these Turntables have Value. Don't over think it.

It's time to start enjoying one of them.
Wow, it's like you're reading my mind!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis