Heaven Help Me - My Daughter Just Bought A Vinyl Album - No Turntable

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
But the RT85 comes with a heavy acrylic platter and the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. Dunno...
The Platter is $129 for the Project. I don't know how much better the Blue cartridge is to the Red. But I think I'm correct by saying the Carbon Fiber tonearm is better on the Project then the Fluance. Which should make up the difference

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The Platter is $129 for the Project. I don't know how much better the Blue cartridge is to the Red. But I think I'm correct by saying the Carbon Fiber tonearm is better on the Project then the Fluance. Which should make up the difference
I've been wondering what difference the carbon tonearm makes. As long as the VTF is set correctly, what difference does it make?

That platter would make the total price higher than the Fluance. I don't know if it's any better, but the blue cartridge is more than twice the price of the red.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Carbon might be lower mass. Blue does get consistent comments from users that they perceive an improvement....altho I suspect it's subtle. You can always get a red and just upgrade the stylus to blue later, they use the same cartridge body.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Carbon might be lower mass. Blue does get consistent comments from users that they perceive an improvement....altho I suspect it's subtle. You can always get a red and just upgrade the stylus to blue later, they use the same cartridge body.
What would that lower mass achieve? As for changing the stylus, I'd prefer not getting into upgraditis. Don't get me wrong - I'm not set on a particular TT yet. I'm still in the research stage.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Needle Dr is no more?!?!?
Needle Doctor closed after forty years. Jerry Raskin thought it time to retire. No takers for the business. I did business with him for pretty much the whole time he was in business. Somehow it was never quite the same after they moved out of Dinky Town near the University of Minnesota.

The soul seemed to go out of it when they moved out to St. Louis Park a few years ago. They moved to get more warehouse space, as there Internet business became so large and totally dwarfed in store sales.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just did. Interesting. I find the anti-skate setup a bit...chintzy?
I did not watch the video....what is the anti-skate setup you are referring to? Is it the little weight and the fishing line?

If that is it, I believe that @TLS Guy told me years ago that this is one of the preferred anti-skate devices (I had the same comments on it as you).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did not watch the video....what is the anti-skate setup you are referring to? Is it the little weight and the fishing line?

If that is it, I believe that @TLS Guy told me years ago that this is one of the preferred anti-skate devices (I had the same comments on it as you).
Yes, that is the best anti skate device.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What would that lower mass achieve? As for changing the stylus, I'd prefer not getting into upgraditis. Don't get me wrong - I'm not set on a particular TT yet. I'm still in the research stage.
Resonance in conjunction with cartridge for one. Try this https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php
From what I can gather, low tonearm mass isn't, by itself, a benefit. It appears to depend on the cartridge with which it's mated. I could be wrong.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well damn, Accessories4less was selling Project TT's, but I guess they did not renew the contract.
I went to see what they had.

I'm no longer a TT guy, but I thought it interesting that Marantz was sourcing their TT's to Germany! I have to believe they are using an established manufacturer (I certainly don't think of Marantz as having a German base ... as opposed to Japan/China). Wonder what other brand(s) are made in the same facility!

Also, a "MusicCast turntable" seems like an oxymoron - not sure what makes it special unless you can start/stop and on/off it from the app (not a huge deal since you are still manually placing the LP on the platter)!

I'm not that familiar with MusicCast, but I have to believe the ability to share the music to other rooms, etc happens at the level of the AVR, not the TT! (?)

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

From what I can gather, low tonearm mass isn't, by itself, a benefit. It appears to depend on the cartridge with which it's mated. I could be wrong.
What matters is the relationship between tone arm mass, cartridge weight and compliance. This is to keep cartridge arm mass resonance in the sweet spot. Most modern reasonably priced cartridges are low mass and pretty high compliance and need a light weight tone arm. However idiot audiophools are enamored with high mass and relatively low compliance and also expensive moving coil cartridges, which require higher mass tone arms. They wax eloquent about all the "air" they are hearing while they increase their record wear.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What matters is the relationship between tone arm mass, cartridge weight and compliance. This is to keep cartridge arm mass resonance in the sweet spot. Most modern reasonably priced cartridges are low mass and pretty high compliance and need a light weight tone arm. However idiot audiophools are enamored with high mass and relatively low compliance and also expensive moving coil cartridges, which require higher mass tone arms. They wax eloquent about all the "air" they are hearing while they increase their record wear.
Everyone knows you need to max-out the tracking weight so the stylus can auger-in deep and extract the full detail of the sound out of the vinyl!

... of course, once extracted, you can't put it back!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
However idiot audiophools are enamored with high mass and relatively low compliance and also expensive moving coil cartridges, which require higher mass tone arms. They wax eloquent about all the "air" they are hearing while they increase their record wear.
I'm just learning about Turntables myself as this is not in my Wheelhouse.

I don't quite understand your comment about Moving Coil. I'm looking at this Cartridge

On this unit

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well damn, Accessories4less was selling Project TT's, but I guess they did not renew the contract.
I went to see what they had.

I'm no longer a TT guy, but I thought it interesting that Marantz was sourcing their TT's to Germany! I have to believe they are using an established manufacturer (I certainly don't think of Marantz as having a German base ... as opposed to Japan/China). Wonder what other brand(s) are made in the same facility!

Also, a "MusicCast turntable" seems like an oxymoron - not sure what makes it special unless you can start/stop and on/off it from the app (not a huge deal since you are still manually placing the LP on the platter)!

I'm not that familiar with MusicCast, but I have to believe the ability to share the music to other rooms, etc happens at the level of the AVR, not the TT! (?)

That 229 Denon or Maranz 249 look like great buys. Mahaha my plan is working. Go-Nad will have a table sometime this year! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis