Hearing.....or am I

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
Going through Life with substantial hearing loss, and being at one time young, and too worried about image. IS very difficult.

From when I was 2 - 22 I suffered from sever hearing loss

only when I married and my wife got tired of Yelling at me all the time was I forced to get hearing aids. First Analog , and I was amazed at the difference in my life, In music Movies , Speech Sounds of the world.
Then Came My digital hearing aid Purchase.....WOW......Hell I thought I was missing stuff before ...... I couldn't believe the types of sounds I was able to concentrate on from music and tracks.

Yet I still wonder....The Human Ear....and What I have Digitally.....What am I missing out on? I am able to go to my audioligist and tell her to Turn up my mid tones, no no...everyone sounds raspy, No wait can you make this program cut down on the fan noises in my office. I have 4 programs that I have for Various Environments that I can switch to on the fly. But What I wouldn't give to know what things are "suppose" to sound like. I don't have total hearing loss, just really lack having the Necessary amplification across all sound bands to hear human voice without them.

Now don't get me wrong, you put a sent of BoZo(e)'s next to some Klipsch or any other speaker for that matter and I can hear a noticible difference.

I just Truly wonder What I am as yet to experience.
I guess now getting in to my 30's I have time to think about weird Crap.

I do notice though even Though I don't hear all the details, that I prefer speakers similar to Klipsch and their Horns, Maybe one would say Brighter Speakers.

Just looking forward to the day when Something or Someone comes out with a chip/device/reciever that I can just pipe straight into my hearing aids wirelessly recieving a pure signal.

don't know the reason for this post, just curious if there were other hearing impaired people on the site.

Take any reviews I ever give with a grain of salt....As I don't know "really" what I am hearing.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My problem is different...I hear too well. I can often hear sounds at 40-50ft my coworkers can't hear at 12ft.

This drives me absolutely insane, since I hear every little thing...I have become obessive compulsive about computer noise, DVD player motor noise, ball bearing noise in my ceiling fan, etc. It's not pleasant...If I could find a way to actually impair my hearing evenly across all frequencies, I'd do it in a heartbeat, just for the sake of my sanity. I even find my laptop computer obnoxiously loud (despite everyone else telling me I'm insane)...

Oddly enough, I like the sound of horns as well...I can't describe it, but I just like the way it sounds.

I can't even begin to think about how different it would be to be in your shoes, but good luck with it all man!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For you, I would get brighter speakers. The high end is the first thing to go, followed by lows.

Atleast you can still hear something. Imagine being blind? couldn't do it.

If I lost a single sense, I would probly go insane.

SheepStar

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
that's one thing.....
Since my digital Aids have a SPL buffer in them that don't allow certain Spl levels to be reached. Causing Further damage.

With Bass, I don't think I so much hear it as much as Feel it. I don't think the audio output of the Aids are capable of the full lower sound spectrum. maybe I can make some Personal Bass Shakers :)

H

hankdog

Audioholic Intern
hearing aids and horn speakers

I have been a klipsch fan since 1983, have orignal heresy's and my hearing was beter then, but years of hanging out with friend in baands and doing sound for them, {why do they always have to hear themselves over the other guy] got a set of klipsch reference 35 speakers and subs absultly love the setup and is pwered by a yamaha RXV2500 and yes I have two digital hearing aids even the wife whose hearing is excelent says it sounds open and airy {her words] I went to my audiologist and had him take out some my highs because I work with heavy equipment and those backup alarms are killer loud just my two cents I've only had the hearing aids for four years and have probably needed them for fifteen

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Bigfishe,

My hearing loss is self inflicted.(SP) I used to drum without ear protection. To make it worse I would turn my head so my left ear would point directly at my snare or hihats to get into the groove better. So now I have a dip in my hearing at about 4k (if I'm remembering correctly???) in both ears but my left ear is twice as bad. The funny thing is that my hearing gets more sensitve the higher the feq. range. Drives people nuts when i say "what" all the time because I can hear them but not understand them unless I'm paying attention/looking at them but I can hear things they can't like when the heaters water circulator is on or not or if a machine isn't running properly.

I need to get back to my doctor and get checked again it's been about 10-11 years. Kinda stupid not going back just keep putting it off.

Good luck and thanks for clueing me in, I didn't know they made hearing aids where they could ajust the freq.. My dad and his brothers hearing all has got much worse over the years so I wasn't looking forward to getting older and saying "what" all day long.:) (If I would have thought about it it's pretty obvious that all the technology is there. Just never put 2+2 together.)

Anyway my loss does not compare to yours and don't want to sound like it does so I'll shut up now.:eek:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Bigfishe said:
Take any reviews I ever give with a grain of salt....As I don't know "really" what I am hearing.
Maybe if you reviewed some speakers with a music loving freind or audiohaulics member that lives close to you, you could compare notes. You never know you could have corrected your hearing to better than some people that have never got there hearing checked and give reviews.:eek:

B

Bigfishe

Junior Audioholic
caution raunchy

One thing I do know the difference between analog to digital Hearing aids is amazing. And Pricey but worth every penny. Just can't replace hearing "morning Daddy" from your 2 year old clear as can be.

We are demoing a new model, as my current aids are 4 years old and only have 4 programs I can switch between.

The ones I am trying right now. are pretty sweet. by adjusting 1, it communicates with the other and adjusts it as well, when switching from program to program.

I Really Suffered the first 3 months of having them. Out of Reflex you almost say "huh?" or "What?" when ever anyone would talk to you . Wind noise in vehicles was alarmingly loud, as was our fans/air conditioners in my office.
My audioligist had me take a small pad and pencil around with me for a few weeks having me note things I liked and disliked about them, things that annoyed me, or things I wish I could hear better, After about 2 months of going back and forth for adjustments I was able to come up with 4 programs that I can use in most inviroments. 1 for around the house, 1 for in the office, 1 for outside and 1 for watching TV late at night with what I call super hearing. on this setting, while staying at my parents townhouse on vacation, i discoverd how great these are. Pretty much a duplex like setting I was up at 2:30 in the morning watching TV, and I kept hearing water running, went around while everyone was asleep and checked all the toilets to make sure none were stuck, it was a constant sound of water pouring into something.
long story short after searching for hours i gave up. Went to my parents neighbors next door the next day for dinner, and discovered what I had been hearing was one of their Tranquility fountains that they leave running in their living room 24/7, They couldn't believe I could hear it though the walls. From that point on I was sold on never going without them again.

Funny to say, but you almost have to learn to hear....as most of my life I was so passive and figured that if someone wanted my attention or to talk to me they would give it. at 4k a piece for each ear they aren't cheap, but you can't really put a price on what they do for your life over all. Another thing I am doing this year is taking a class on "hearing/listening" at our local community college. Sounds funny but it is definately something I can see helping with getting past the huh/what reflex. I don't know about some of you, but when you can't hear I think I learned to anticipate conversation, what was going to be said, and so forth. I know to a certain degree we all do. But to me, It almost seemed like I was Psychic or something because there were times I just knew what the person was going to say word for word. The doctors were amazed at the level of my loss and how seemless I was able to function in the world or even make it through school without aids. Thank god for Reading retention, as I was too "cool" to sit in front so I just sat in back and read lips....Pratice makes perfect. People with Mustaches were difficult at times, and hearing Frans Dreashor (spelling) for the first time almost made me take them back not knowing that people could really sound that annoying.

I do enjoy the fact that when the kids are screaming, the wife is nagging. or the 11 neices and nephews are over for a visit, I am just a push button away from silent bliss :)

and to end this blog.....

True story. ......
First day I got my Digital Hearing aids to go out in the world with, we headed to the local mall. I was amazed on all the conversations I was actually able to hear, instead of trying to read lips. Well I know from time to time every person in there life has tried to sneak out the old "silent air bisquit" in public and play it off like nothing happened. With my wife, while walking in the mall I let one go.........."BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAApppppppppppp" The sound was alarming...."holy $h!T" I chirped, "Have they always been that loud?" My wife to this day still cries laughing everytime she thinks about that incident. But to me...a fart never sounded so good!

Last edited:
H

hankdog

Audioholic Intern
I hope it was one that was all noise and no stink:p :)

Matt34

Matt34

I'm due for another hearing check-up. I know mine has gone down the last couple years due to all the gun ranges I go too and being around a bunch of loud barking dogs everyday. I too have a hard time during conversation with someone if there is any background noise.

My thing at the moment though is my eyes. I now have astigmatism(sp?) in both eyes and night driving is really becoming difficult. I truly hate my contacts and can't wear them for more than 4 hours so I'm going to try and get the army to pay for lasic surgery before I get out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis