G

GuitarPlayer

Audiophyte
Hello, I am new here and hope this question is not too stupid. My family has a home theater system. Nothing out of this world but we really enjoy it. A 64 inch TV, DVD player and a Sony 895 receiver. The speakers are a average matched set from Klipsch. My problem is this. I am not deaf by any means but the past few years sometimes I don't hear so well. Especially when watching movies. The other day I watched Lord of The Rings twice, first without subtitles and the second time with subtitles. I was amazed at how much I missed and I actually "got" the whole movie! I know I can keep using subtitles and I know I could probably get a hearing device, do I have any other options? My Sony receiver has a headphone input and Ive thought about trying that with some nice headphones but Im afraid that would cut off all the sound for the rest of my family. Would it? I also have all 5 speakers set at "10". Should I maybe lower the 2 front and 2 back and just keep the center channel set at 10? Or could I wire a set of headphones just into the center speaker since that is where most of the voice seems to come from? So as you see, it is kind of a crazy question. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cat

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I am not familiar with your Sony but I would try turning up only the center & backing off the others. Your not alone in this dilema as my ex has the same problem &,on certain movies or shows,so do I. Unfortunately,this only works for DVD's or programs broadcast in 5.1. Anything in straight stereo will require you to play with the receiver to see if one of the soundfields will bring out the dialog portion of what you're watching.

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
Hearing

I think that bringing all the other speakers down and leaving the center channel at full volume may help significantly. Your Sony receiver or DVD player may have a late night play mode that makes this change for you. Headphones are not a great option, because they do cut off the sound for other listeners and they appear to be linked to increased hearing loss. They also will not allow you to punch up the part of the soundtrack you a not hearing now.

J

joelincoln

Junior Audioholic
You might also try to use an equalizer to increase the midrange of the audio which is where the human voice usually is. Of course, this will effect all sources and may reduce the sonic purity of your sound. Although you could switch it in and out as desired.

Turning down both the bass and trebble controls on your receiver may have the same effects.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Eh? What? Speak up! It's possible that it isn't your speakers but your room. If your room is overly reverberant the dialog might just be getting smeared with echoes. Got a lot of bare walls and/or big undraped windows? If so put up some drapes or other absorbent surfaces.

Otherwise, what they said.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Rip is exactly right, if all your levels are corect and you are still having trouble hearing dialog, then it is the room, echos will kill dialog. Since I have begun treating my room there has been 100 percent increase. You have to start treating the room. You should never have to increase any channel level higher than the rest, if you do something is way wrong. In order to get proper palcement of sounds in the room all channels have to be set to the same volume level for the reference level.

H

hifilodo

Audiophyte
Jeff and Rip have hit on an important issue. Hard floor surfaces and bare walls can degrade the listening environment significantly. I suspect that you also have a hearing loss that makes it difficult to isolate certain sounds like the dialogue in some movies. You may have to employ several strategies, some of which will take you away from a purist approach to listening. You may even want to try positioning your chair in a place in the room where the dialogue is easiest to hear. This may be toward the front and center. Good luck.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
It might not be your hearing, have it checked out though, usually a free test. You could have something that can be treated so it is worth having an examination. I thought I was having problems with my hearing until I treated the room and realized it was just the room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis