Healthcare Overcharge!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Canadians are ticked about electronics. I am ticked about healthcare cost. We pay way more for healthcare &amp; medication!

Lets try to keep politics out of this!

I see the doctor a great deal more than I update my audio!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Yes we do even though I am an MD and personally benefit greatly from all these dollars. The pentagon and their $600 hammer has nothing on medicine. Much has to do with malpractice and a ridiculous amount of defensive medicine, unrealistic patient expectations, a get the answer now without waiting attitude by doctors and patients and an appalling amount spent on people in their last weeks of life.As boomers age it will only get worse. However as the old joke goes: if we adopt a Canadian style health care system where will all the (rich) Canadians get their healthcare? People waiting weeks for MRIs and hip replacements won't go over big here. Oh well, it keeps me in good audio gear!</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

This is a political choice. If you are ready to:
- pay 2000$ to 5000$ more of income tax;
- have a law to reduce the amount of liability paid to doctors;
- have an investment in training more doctors at a lower cost (increase subsidies to universities for training doctors);
you can have health insurance for everyone free.

About medication costs, the provincial government in Canada has more bargaining power with Drug companies.

This is all political. When Americans will want medicare for everyone they will have it.

BTW, you pay 5% of your gross domestic product in medicare, and the second most expensive country is paying less than 3%. You pay more and serve less people. It is only a matter of choice.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I don't think we pay too much for healthcare just too much for most drugs. My wife is an LPN soon to be an RN, she works and studies her butt off and she deserves every penny she makes. You want free healthcare then move to Canada and get in line. You want the best care in the world then pay for it.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My favorite political about this is &quot;we will not have health care rationing in this country!&quot; So just what does the working poor don't get none mean?
It goes well beyond drugs. There are more MRIs at about 1-3 million dollars a pop in any US city than in any other country on earth. People expect a scan for every back ache or headache. The cost where I live is $880 a study. All this so once in a blue moon you will find an unexpected and untreatable brain tumor? It will put my daughter through college but even I with a vested interest in it am appalled. Put this money into prevention and you get much more back.
I admit I went into this because I like the toys which is why I'm an audio enthusiast too but this is no way to improve the nations health.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Jeff. I think you missed the point of this thread!
</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I'm sorry, What was the point?
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Canadians were complaining about their cost for electronics. So, due to the fact they pay a great deal less for healthcare &amp; medication, I was making the point that Americans pay much more for this. Then, I was asking to keep politics out of this. That seems to be what both threads are about. I am sure many other countries have different cost in different areas, so this could go on for days!
</font>

J

JAB

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Dan is right about health care line-ups in Canada. There is waiting lists for every type of proceedure, and only the critically ill or life threatening accidents get immediate attention. My other half has had two operations ( not life threatening ) in the last two years, and really didn't have to wait that long for the operations. Once into the hospital, the care and service was excellent. I am sure a private medical bill would have been in the tens of thousands, but medicare paid the shot. Coverage costs us around $900 a year.

In Canada, private medicine is supposed to be illegal, but a new building in my community has opened with private MRI's and three operating theatres. The cost, which is bourne by the patient is high, but the service is immediate. The provincial government watchdog has barked a little, but so far no biting. If you got the bucks-you get the luck!

As per Dan and his frank statements - good on you!! I have been self employed nearly all my working life and also enjoy investing my money in A/V and cars. No drugs - No smoking - No drinking = hobby bucks!

Al</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Zumbo

The cost of health care is a political choice. US is the most expensive systems (you pay more than anywhere, most of the time twice so you have the money) but 30% of your population is not covered (unlike all other G7). This is a political choice that has been done by americains.

With your actual health cost and the increasing weight of americains will end up having most of the population not covered. You will have to do some tough decision in this matter. People are getting older also. We also have our share of problems.

The cost of electronics was another subject in another subject in the steam vent. I am not only complaining, I am starting to do the promotion of buying outside of Canada (in US). I want Canadian distributors to be more competitive or to die.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Pam, I see your point. I have heard of bus-loads of Americans making a trip to Canada to save on Prescription drugs. I was not really fussing, I was trying to be funny and stir up a little controversy myself. I am also getting fatter by the minute. I quit smoking three years ago, and quit drinking two years ago. Now all I do is eat!
</font>

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000F22'>dammit zumbo get back on your bike and start riding again you lazy butt lol.
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>For real! I will be preparing moto-cross bike for season abuse this week-end. Next week-end, I believe I will get my street bike out &amp; prepare it for the season as well!</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I'm not trying to suggest a solution nor raise a big political ruckus, but philosophically and from a purely human standpoint, it's a shame to see a nation as great as America is reach the point where only only a portion of our populace can afford the basics of survival. &nbsp;I just read that the worlds billionaires now are worth collectively $1.6 TRILLION dollars. &nbsp;None of those guys ever have to step over a homeless guy on the way to work- they can afford to be pretty aloof from poverty, I imagine.

It's sad to see people dying of cancer and heart disease because they can't afford the relatively cheap preventive medicine that could nip their condition in the bud before it becomes a problem, to see people who lose all their teeth for want a few hundred bucks worth of dental care over their lifetime, and people crippled in their later years from a lack of basic care in their youth. &nbsp;

I'm no bleeding heart liberal, and I'm not suggesting that the rich don't deserve to be rich nor that they are legally obligated to give anything away. &nbsp;The world is what it is. &nbsp;It's just such a shame to me because this is one of societies most greivous self inficted wounds. &nbsp;You'd think enlightened self interest would dictate that there has to be a certain minimum standard of life that a prosperous, modern civilization ought to be able to ensure for its citizens.

I work in the banking industry now, but I used to work as a chef. &nbsp;Despite making a pretty good living at it, I never had health insurance until about five years ago. &nbsp;That's a &quot;luxury&quot; that a good many people I know simply can't afford.

I don't have the answer, I'm afraid, but it seems to me there has to be some happy medium between &quot;cradle to grave&quot; care and &quot;every man for himself.&quot;</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Rob

If you feel bad about healthcare, just look at what is happening in Africa. If there is a God up there and he juge us on what is happening on our planet, we will ALL be sent to hell.

If our government would spend 10% of the military budget for water and feeding people, we would eliminate 95% of the terrorists.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Believe it or not it was much worse pre medicare in this country when it really was fend for yourself. Of course back then there was much less to do and costs were far lower.
Rob Babcock, your other point raises the issue about the vast discrepancy between CEOs and their employees in the USA. This discrepancy is much greater than in other developed countries. As an MD (and one in the higher income brackets of the profeesion I believe) my income does not come close to what any of the VPs and CEOs of big or even medium size companies pull. No complaints for me but these guys don't deserve that much IMO.

Pam, I think we need to set up a barter your drugs for our audio gear.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Dan. Can you help a brother out? &nbsp;
</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>Pam, I think we need to set up a barter your drugs for our audio gear.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi Dan S

About the barter, we have already given considering that a lot of drugs were developped in Canada (especially Montreal) because the salary of MD are lower (150K to 400K) so the cost of research are lower. From the time we have discovered insulin till 3TC (part of the tri-therapy) we have given to the drug world for a few decades.

Cost of drugs are high because of higher cost of markerting (more than double than the cost of developping the drugs). Marketing must be more expensive in US!

Actually developping drugs in North America will probably stop as there is a lot of doctor/biologist available in India. All the people working in the Drug companies in North America will probably have to live with competition from India (like IT people, accoutant, call centers).

What is interesting is this will lower the cost of phamaceuticals (therefore lowering the price of Drugs in US) but most of it will go in the pocket of the companies not the customers.

Something else, in a world with 1% interest rate and inflation under control (for more than 10 years), investors are still expecting minimum 15%-20% Return On Investment like in the 80's. This is part of the reason we pay too much for our audio/video gear and that you pay too much for your drugs: greed.

BTW, do you know what is the worst inflation for the stock market: salary going up! Interesting this attitude coming from people who wants 15% ROI with 2% inflation.

We are all in the same boat, Canadian and American alike. We only have differences in Foreign policy (we have no army and we are more humble) but internally we are facing the same challenge.

We need that your drugs comes down and our Audio/Video gear also comes down.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have to agree with most of the sentiments here. The company I work for has done a fair job of cutting overhead(employees) by offering early retirement packages. However,they have lost many valuable people &amp; have no way to make up for the vast experience &amp; knowledge they have lost. All in the name of the bottom line: What we look like to Wall St.
&nbsp;What pisses me off most is that they want a down-sized crew to meet all customer commitments with perfect craftsmanship with no overtime. Sorry,but you can't have it all.
&nbsp;When I see what the CEO's,presidents,VP's,etc. make every year for the incompetent decisions they pass down, I suddenly have no problem with what a pro athlete pulls in. At least I can see his/her work &amp; efforts.</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Public spending on healthcare from world health organization. You can also dig on World health report 2003

The table below in from my local newspaper (sorry for the alignment it is manual).
Country     % of GDP    Per inhabitant (USD)
Australia        5.6            1601
Austria           5.7            1513
Belgium         5.6            1616
Canada          6.5            1826
Finland           5.0            1252
France           7.2             1775
Germany        8.1            2067
Great Britain   6,1            1437
Italia              5.8            1503
Japan             6,1            1540
Norway           6,6            2022
New-Zealand   6,2            1266
Spain              5.5            1076
Sweden           7,2           1622
Switzerland     5,8            1796
USA                5.9           1992

In USA, health care expenditure exceeds 16% of GDP (BTW very interesting article - look at the conclusion).

There are more recent tables in the  annex on capital expenditure from the report of WHO but they basically show the same thing I have just written.

All country above spend a smaller percentage of health care on private. On the other side, almost all African country (not Senegal for example) inhabitants are spending a bigger percentage of their health care in the private sector. One thing for sure, your rich people (top 3%) must have top health care because they spend top dollars. Can you imagine that all this money is spent with 40% of the people not insured!

So only two country spend more on health than US: Germany (3.8% more) and Norway (1.5% more). Most of these country has free health care. US citizen are already paying for having free health care for everyone.

I have proven my point, Healthcare is a political decision. Of course everyone in the health industry has an opportunity to be greedy: Doctors, Lawyers, Administrators, Insurance companies. If you try to change the rules, all these people will lobby to keep them the same.

Also, in Canada, private medecine is not illegal. It is only that if you want to receive money from the goverment for treating patients, you are not allowed to charge in the public healthcare system.
So if you want to be private: you have to be 100% private.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis