F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Want to get new set of headphones. Was looking at Grado sr80i or Sennheiser HD280. Unfortunately there is nowhere close (that I know about) to listen. Any recommendations between the 2 or any others for about 100$?

Flippo

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Want to get new set of headphones. Was looking at Grado sr80i or Sennheiser HD280. Unfortunately there is nowhere close (that I know about) to listen. Any recommendations between the 2 or any others for about 100$?

Flippo
I have the Grado sr60s and the Sennheiser HD280. If it's down to those, they're a pretty clear contrast. The 60s are pretty darn close to the 80s, I understand.

The Grados don't block any outside noise - they're a very open design. If you want to block noise, don't choose 'em.

The Sennheisers have very deep bass extension, but are fairly neutral or even a little 'thin' sounding. The Grados don't go as deep but sound a little fuller and "bassy" on most music.

The Grados rest on your ears, which some people don't like. I don't mind. The Sennheisers fit around your ears, although some people find them a little "clamp like". Again, I don't mind. Neither are super-duper ultra comfortable, but I can wear either for pretty long periods of time.

P

peep5170

Audiophyte
I've owned the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's since they first came out around the $300 price range. They've continuously proven to be an excellent set of headphones; I use them for all purposes. They're great for travel (i.e. planes and blocking out noise) if you have the room for a set of headphones, and also great for listening to at home plugged into your receiver if you can't disturb anyone. They fit well and are comfortable to use. Now that they're a third of their original price I'd definitely recommend purchasing them.

M

marsman

Audiophyte
One other headphones I would recommend are the Audio Technica M50 headphones. They may not be the most balanced, or neutral headphones around but they do sound great nonetheless.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I use the audio technica m50s a lot mainly for travel or when I need something to seal out the outside noise (kids, dogs, you name it). They fold up for traveling and are easy to drive from a headphone.

Still if I were looking for one pair of headphones for around $100, I'd get the audio technics ath 700s over the m50s or the Grado SR60s: Amazon.com: audio technica ath-ad700

This is a very fine pair of headphones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis