headphones vs 7.1 channel surround sound

A

abar20

Enthusiast
The budget on either the headphones or the surround system is the same: 3000 dollars. But of course if I went the headphone route I assume it'd be a lot cheaper. I KNOW headphones sound better. It's like night and day comparing headphones and speakers in my experience. I mean, pop on a dvd, plug in some 150 headphones and suddenly all the sounds that just didn't exist before become louder than life. That said, my issue is with the discomfort. I watch a lot of content and the pressure of of my bose around ear headphones become quickly unbearable. I thought maybe I could try some open ear headphones with good padding. And, if I feel discomfort, I could switch to the tv speakers for a while. I'd save myself 2500 dollars and I would get a better sounding experience on average, right? I would still need a av receiver, right?

Do you have any positive comments about watching blurays with dolby truehd using headphones? Do regular stereo headphones take advantage of the 7.1 channel true hd codec, Revealing most of it's surround sound potential for true immersion? Should I look into open ear headphones with an external amp?

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
I would spend all 3000 on a pair of stereo speakers. Surround sound to me is just surround noise... we only have two ears buddy. and headphone can never reproduce that soundstage we all love. : )

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
There are, in fact, surround-sound headphones.

G

gorman

Audioholic Intern
I would spend all 3000 on a pair of stereo speakers. Surround sound to me is just surround noise... we only have two ears buddy. and headphone can never reproduce that soundstage we all love. : )
... tell that to Telarc's SACD.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
If you live alone and add a bass shaker then headphones will be a great alternative. But nothing like the expansion and real deep bass of a surround system and sub.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
for 3000 you can get headphones and a surround system that are both amazing.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
agreed +
for that kind of budget, you have have the a very good system in "both worlds".

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
All you need to do is pick up a good pair of headphones. Something like the Audio Technica ATH-AD900 which are known for their comfort in which you can wear for hours, wide soundstage/positioning and overall great sound quality. These would be awesome for Blu-ray movies. They would only cost you around $200. I have listened to the younger brother the AD700 and they are also very good which are known for those same attributes but are not as pretty as the 900. I use them for gaming for the better soundstage they offer compared to my other headphones.

Edit: Take the rest of your budget and spend it on speakers and subwoofers.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis