Headphones for MP3 players

R

Randos

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to make what I assume to be a reasonable assumption that many of you have some sort of portable music device. I intend on purchasing an MP3 player very shortly and would like to know what headphones you guys prefer/suggest for music on the go (perferably earbuds).

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, if you really wants some good, small earphones, check out Etymotic Research. They make some in-ear ones (you might not like that), but they have awesome sound quality. Just be forewarned: they really isolate you from the outside world!

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Etymotic ER-6i

When looking for earbud headphones I would look closely at the offerings from Shure and Etymotic Research. I purchased the Etymotic ER-6i for my girlfriend for Christmas. They offer lower impedance and are more efficient than some of the other models offered by Etymotic Research. However they have two main drawbacks...I as I see it. First, they're revealing enough to make you realize how crappy compressed formats are, secondly they have a tremendous amount of isolation as sited by jaxvon...great for an airplane ride...but dangerous for a jog in a busy city.

Check out: http://headroom.headphone.com/ if you are really interested in learning about quality headphones and everything that comes with them.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
nibhaz said:
Check out: http://headroom.headphone.com/ if you are really interested in learning about quality headphones and everything that comes with them.
Warning: If using headphone.com as a source of data, note that they mix fact with fiction. Overall, an unreliable source of information becuase of this mixing of truth with fiction. I would recommend using this site as a retailer only.....

-Chris

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
WmAx said:
Warning: If using headphone.com as a source of data, note that they mix fact with fiction. Overall, an unreliable source of information becuase of this mixing of truth with fiction. I would recommend using this site as a retailer only.....

-Chris
I would second what Chris said. Mostly BS on their site and poor customer service.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I have two options for you:

If you like fuller bass: shure e2c

If you like more detail: shure e3c

The thing is the detail worth the thinner bass and the extra $70?

I have both, and I love my e3c, to me it is nearly perfect for music....but for movies or gaming (I use them on my PC), I reach for my e2c...the bass really makes them stand out for this.

If your new to canalphones and want something that is easy to fit and comfortable just to get your toes wet, sony EX-71. They are about $40, and give some of the sound isolation benefits of the Shure and Etymotic offerings, although the sound is not near as nice, in my opinion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis