Headphones and USB Sound Card Suggestions

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I've got a $200 budget for headphones and a USB sound card.

I've been looking at the Creative X-Fi that supports 5.1 so I can use my cheapo Logitech 5.1 with it when the mood strikes. Also has a headphone port. The built in audio card on my upcoming laptop purchase is junk. Anyone use one of these?

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0044DEDCA.htm

As far as headphones, I don't know a ton about them. That car costs ~$50 so that leaves $150 for headphones. I've tried many pairs of in ear and ear buds but I've never liked any of them. On-ear would be ok, but I think over-ear would be more comfortable and provide better isolation right? Closed would probably be best.

I plan on mostly using them at my desk for gaming (and pretty much every kind of music), but they'll also be used for bus rides, walking around campus, the occasional plane ride, etc so I'd like to have good noise isolation. I like good bass, but not over kill Beats style. I don't intend to listen super loud since I value my hearing, but clarity throughout the ranges would be a plus. On top of that though, they have to be comfortable. Not going to be able to wear them if they aren't comfortable. If they were foldable and come with a case, I'd like that, as well as removable cord.

Read a few threads that suggest that most headphones with powered noise cancelation are garbage. Do you guys agree?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I have been looking at the mdr-v6's. Lots of praise in the under $150 line up. also have been looking at the Shure SRH440 (comfort issues for some?) and Audio Technica M50..

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
IMO AKG K 271 MKII > Shure 440 > Sony MDR V6 > ATH M50

IMO The best bang for buck is the Shure 440 but the comfort sucks with the 440 pads. Upgrading the 440 to the 840 or 940 pads can make them more comfortable for most people.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have and love my Fostex T20RP and T50RP, but they need a bit more umph then typical headphones.. I don't know how good the creative head amp is...

I have AudioEngine D1, but I realize it's not 5.1 and over your budget
Another solid 2.0 dac/amp is fiio e10

Behringer UC202 is decent (line out) and cheap, but terrible as far as headphone amp

oh, and Skip ATH M50 - the most overhyped headphones evah...

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic

Pulled up this graph on headphone.com.. Not entirely sure what I'm looking at though.

I'm a bit leery of the auto adjusting head band on the AKG's. I do like that they have removable cables though. For sure I'd go with the 840 pads if I went with the 440's. Watched a few video reviews for the 440 and they look giant lol. Do they still fold with the upgraded ear pads?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Pulled up this graph on headphone.com.. Not entirely sure what I'm looking at though.

I'm a bit leery of the auto adjusting head band on the AKG's. I do like that they have removable cables though. For sure I'd go with the 840 pads if I went with the 440's. Watched a few video reviews for the 440 and they look giant lol. Do they still fold with the upgraded ear pads?
The Sony's have greater bass extension. The AKG's and Shures have better midrange and upper midrange accuracy. The flat amplitude on the Sony headphone from 1kHz to 4kHz will make for a "bright" or fatiguing sounding headphone.

My listening tests confirm the Sony V6 is a bright sounding headphone. To a lesser extent the Shure 440. The 271 MK II have the most natural sounding midrange. In terms of bass response V6 > 440 > 271 MKII. I say the 440 is > 271 in this regard because the upper bass seems more prevalent.

The spike in amplitude that is occurring on all 3 headphones are measurement artifacts I believe.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I found this post:
Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements

ps: I use at work T20RP with Shure 840 pads :) - this is super easy "mod" and I do love the sound - with help of Fiio E5 amp

I guess after one finishes most of the mods they will sound like some headphones in 4 digits price range

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Wow, that's quite and extensive mod list. Some real dedication on his part.. Something to keep in mind for the future

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Found a new pair of Shure 840's on craigslist for $120.. figure I could get them for $100 if I wanted.. Also a used set of B&W P5's. They're asking $275, but seeing as how used are going for under $200 on Amazon I'm sure I could convince them to come down. I realize they're on ear, but man they're pretty!

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Received the V6's today. They're pretty dang awesome so far. Going to let them burn in and then will decide if I want to order a few more pairs to compare against

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis