Headphones -- 5.1 Surround??

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
I've read the various threads (both here and other forums) about stereo headphones -- and I've narrowed my choice down to the Senneheiser HD 280 and the Sony MDR 7506 -- but also considering going up in class to the Senn HD 580.

BUT I'm wondering -- Does anyone have experience with the new 5.1 surround headphones from Zalman, Kinyo, Mentor, etc? From what I read they all seem to require a PC or MAC with a 5.1 sound card -- or some may use a USB port (not sure about that).

Is there any way to use them with a regular receiver? Probably a stupid question -- but would it be possible to hook them up to the 5.1 pre-outs on a Pioneer VSX-72 receiver? Would the pre-outs under-drive them or over-drive them? What is the typical output rating of pre-outs ( I have looked in the owners manual specs page and can't see anything about the pre-outs)? Would another amp be required for headphone use?

I expect to be using headphones quite abit for and would like to get the best possible sound experience. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I've never used the 5.1 headphones, but they sound very gimmicky. That, and the fact that they're from Zalman is worrysome. Zalman makes great CPU coolers, but that knowledge doesn't translate to audio. If you've ever picked up any of the headphones in that price range, from any manufacturer, you can instantly tell that they're a lot more flash than sound. They generally have bloated bass and bad sounding midrange.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that 5.1 sound in a pair of cans is a gimmick. It's better to do stereo and do it well rather than attempt to do 5.1 and sacrifice sound quality.

I personally recommend the Sony MDR-7506 or V6 phones. For $100, you aren't going to find anything more accurate, or more durable.

S

satish536

Audioholic
Sennheisers

I don know how helpful this will be but jus wanted to let u know i have a Sennheiser HD212 pro and absolutely love them and had heard sonys in the same price range dont remember the model ...but liked these better!!Havent heard any of the models you listed but i have new found respect for sennheiser.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Love my HD580s, highly recomended. That being said, headphones are like speakers, you should audition them to see if you like their particular sound. At least you don't have to take them home to see if they sound good in your living room.

Nick

Shaft0rz

Shaft0rz

Enthusiast
I own a pair of HD-280's. Overall they're excellent heapdhones. Very crisp, and they preserve a lot of detail. The only downside is they roll off the bass pretty heavily. You will definitely notice the comparative lack of bass. The good part is that the they're capable of very punchy, clean bass, however depending on your tastes you might need to boost it some. Even so, I'd definitely recommend them as excellent for the price.

Also, they're excellent at sealing out noise, if that's a concern. As good as, IMO, a lot of noise-cancelling cans.

In that price range, though, I'd also check out Grado SR-80's, if you can deal with open-air cans. They make even the excellent sounding 280 Pro's sound cold and brittle. I've never had as much of a "WOW!" reaction as when I tried out the SR-80's, and immediately wanted to listen to every song I owned on them.

Hope that helps some...

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input and advice. Hopefully I'll make decision in the next few days and let you know.

Thanks again.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
READ THIS

The 5.1 feature those headphones have is useless. My Sennheisser HD500's do 5 channel, but they only have 2 transducers. You don't need those special headphones to get this effect. I use mine in CS:S all the time, and its like a wallhack:rolleyes: you know where everyone is.

Sheep
PS: the zalmans also have no bass :cool:

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
5.1 Surround Cans - no way

Thanks for all the input. Pretty much what I figured, but thought I would see if my "crap detectors" are still working. :D You guys are great! Hard to decide who to give chiclets to.

Now to decide on the right set of standard cans for me. From what I have read both here and elsewhere, I don't think I could stand the Grado "on ear" style -- which apparently are quite uncomfortable even for an open style. I have used an OLD pair of Realistic (really) cans for many years and they are comlpetely closed with very comfortable ear pads/cups. That's why I'm leaning towrds to HD 280's. But I don't really need the sound isolation, so the open designs that theoretically have better acoustical properties are really attractive. I just want a pair I can wear for a few hours without needing to take a break for "ear recovery" every hour or so. I think the Sony MDR V6 that jaxvon likes so much are an open design. What about comfort?

Also I do like a fair amount of tight bass in the phones. I know the Sony's are highly rated for good authentic sound (minimal coloring) -- which is good. I'm thinking that since I'm going to have a Pioneer VSX 72 receiver (hopefully within a few days) I could set up one of the 6 stored 9EQ profiles for headphone listening and tweak up the bass to my liking. Does that sound reasonable?

Oh yeah -- To get back on topic a bit -- one last thing on the 5.1 front -- does anyone know anything about the Pioneer SE-DIR800C 5.1 Dolby wireless IR transmitter and headphone set? (see this link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4171_108990338,00.html

I saw a thread (I thought it was here) by a guy in New York who had the prior model and the current one and liked them both -- but I can't find it again.

This unit takes a digital input (coax or optical) and the ads talk about connecting to a DVD, TV, etc with digital out. I assume I could connect it to the assignable optical out on the receiver -- true? Since there is only one optical out I lose it for other purposes, but that's OK since I don't have any digital recording devices.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
skipsterut said:
Thanks for all the input. Pretty much what I figured, but thought I would see if my "crap detectors" are still working. :D You guys are great! Hard to decide who to give chiclets to.

Now to decide on the right set of standard cans for me. From what I have read both here and elsewhere, I don't think I could stand the Grado "on ear" style -- which apparently are quite uncomfortable even for an open style. I have used an OLD pair of Realistic (really) cans for many years and they are comlpetely closed with very comfortable ear pads/cups. That's why I'm leaning towrds to HD 280's. But I don't really need the sound isolation, so the open designs that theoretically have better acoustical properties are really attractive. I just want a pair I can wear for a few hours without needing to take a break for "ear recovery" every hour or so. I think the Sony MDR V6 that jaxvon likes so much are an open design. What about comfort?

Also I do like a fair amount of tight bass in the phones. I know the Sony's are highly rated for good authentic sound (minimal coloring) -- which is good. I'm thinking that since I'm going to have a Pioneer VSX 72 receiver (hopefully within a few days) I could set up one of the 6 stored 9EQ profiles for headphone listening and tweak up the bass to my liking. Does that sound reasonable?

Oh yeah -- To get back on topic a bit -- one last thing on the 5.1 front -- does anyone know anything about the Pioneer SE-DIR800C 5.1 Dolby wireless IR transmitter and headphone set? (see this link http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4171_108990338,00.html

I saw a thread (I thought it was here) by a guy in New York who had the prior model and the current one and liked them both -- but I can't find it again.

This unit takes a digital input (coax or optical) and the ads talk about connecting to a DVD, TV, etc with digital out. I assume I could connect it to the assignable optical out on the receiver -- true? Since there is only one optical out I lose it for other purposes, but that's OK since I don't have any digital recording devices.
I have the headphones for you.

Sennheisser HD212pro.

Deeps bass, extremely deep. Sealed design so you can crank it and no one is the wiser. Not fatiuging(typo?). My friend has these, got em for 60bucks on ebay. Probly the best bang for buck headphones you can get.

Sheep

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony headphones (7506 or V6) are closed ear headphones with very good isolation. They're a metal frame, so they're quite durable (indeed, roadworthy). They're designed for a professional environment. As far as comfort goes, they're very good, but nothing in comparison to the large over-ear open back Sennheisers. They're not bad, but I need a break after a few hours. They're not truly "over ear" or "on ear", but somewhere inbetween. The 595s and similar headphones are truly over the ear designs, meaning it completely encircles your ear without pressure on it (or at least most of it if you have big ears). The HD595s are by far the most comfortable headphones I've worn. If you wear glasses (like me), these are wonderful. The 7506 phones can get a little uncomfortable after awhile. If you have a nice, quiet place to listen to your music, then I suggest you take a look at the open-back Sennheisers (and listen). My friend has the HD-595s (somewhat out of your price range) but there are similar models that you can afford. The open Sennheisers are a little lacking in the bass, but it's very tight.

Many people also find that some coloration in the sound yields a more enjoyable listening experience. The MDR-7506 headphones are for work. I use them for play, but a lot of people find the Sennheisers are just more fun to listen to.

I still support my own purchase of my Sony cans because I want to hear everything in my recordings as it was put down. But that's just me. I suggest you try to listen to and put on some different headphones and see what works best for you.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Yeah -- at approx $250 I agree that Senn HD 595's are out of my price range. But what about the HD 580's for $150 -- I'v read some great reviews on them -- see http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387-- (Obviously this forum dedicated headphone addicts uses the same softwear as audioholics.com)

What's the collective view of the Senn HD 580's?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
skipsterut said:
Yeah -- at approx $250 I agree that Senn HD 595's are out of my price range. But what about the HD 580's for $150 -- I'v read some great reviews on them -- see http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387-- (Obviously this forum dedicated headphone addicts uses the same softwear as audioholics.com)

What's the collective view of the Senn HD 580's?
As I mentioned before I heartily recomend the 580s. A wonderfully smooth balanced sound that to me is not fatigueing. One thing to note is that the 580s need a receiver to drive them. They are a bit power hungry. They sound pretty muddy on portable cd player. I also own Grado's SR 80s and they are very, very different animals. The SR 80s have a very agressive, punchy, in your face kind of sound. For me that kind of sound is fatigueing, but really cool for the short listening sessions if you are in the mood for it. Also SR 80s quite uncomfortable for me. If I had too choose between the two it definitely would be the Senns 580s.

FWIW I have a pair of Koss Porta Pros for my portable CD player. Very easy to drive and about $30 or $40.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Multichannel headphone sound formats.

I think this is relavant to your origional question.
Some new receivers have DSP algorithms for encoding the multichannel soundtrack and outputing it over the stereo headpone output.
My Yamaha has their "Silent Cinema" DSP for this purpose. I have also seen some receivers including HK include "Dolby Headphone" in the feature list.

S

superjohnny

Enthusiast
Has anyone actually seen a 5.1 headphone? Does the sub sits on top of your head or behind it? Do you find yourself staring at the ceiling because your neck is tired? Does the center channel block your view of the monitor?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
superjohnny said:
Has anyone actually seen a 5.1 headphone? Does the sub sits on top of your head or behind it? Do you find yourself staring at the ceiling because your neck is tired? Does the center channel block your view of the monitor?
This better not be a serious post.

Its 5.1 headphones, not a head-mounted 5.1 speaker system.

examples:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/upload/product/zm_rs6f_f_p.jpg

Sheepstar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis