Headphones 101: Understanding the Various Types of Headphones and Earphones

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The headphone and earphone market is a pretty diverse place these days: there are several styles to choose from, not to mention a few new words to add to your vocabulary. If you believe that supra-aural headphones will improve your ears like hearing aids, then it's time for an education from Audioholics. In this article we discuss the various styles of headphones available, including their relative strengths and weaknesses. Curious to learn all about the world of headphones? Click to keep reading!

Discuss "Headphones 101: Understanding the Various Types of Headphones and Earphones " here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Over-the-ear & open back have one more important advantage - long term comfort - as open back allows air to circulate the listeners ears don't get too hot as in over-the-ear&closed back, thus making it more comfortable for long term listening (like a recording session)

Also not all Over-the-ear & open back are heavy - it really depends

One more type of headphones which was not mentioned is semi-open back - they share the benefits of both type, yet not as effective in noise cancellation typically
Headphones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally prefer open back as they are most comfortable for me and provide best sound - Bass does not have to get compromised with open back - my AKG K712 Pro are proof of that

C

CSMiller

Audiophyte
Do you any information about, or can you refer me to, reliable testing information about headsets used by call center workers? What is the useful lifespan of such headsets? Are they known to emit frequencies barely audible or inaudible that can affect workers' hearing longterm? Is there any testing agency or industry group that has published comparative test results for various models, e.g., a Consumer Reports for. Call center headsets? Are headsets used in call centers subject to any form of federal regulatory agency oversight? Thank you.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Nice phaser! Is that a real one?

It's sad that Koss isn't taken seriously, in light of the fact that they were the company that launched the whole market for headphones. Granted, they aren't really looking for the hard-core audiophile market, but the ESP-950 is still being made and these have gotten great reviews for their sound quality. They have some other models that do sound good, even if they're not like the most popular brands. They even have a Tony Bennett signature model, since re-connecting with him- he was one of their endorsers in the '60s and '70s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis