Headphone recommendation

S

Spectreal

Audiophyte
I am looking for a set of quality headphones that I can use with my synthesizer primarily but which might also get used with the stereo or portable device. Since they are for my synth I want something with natural clarity to handle all possible frequencies. I'd like to find something under $200. I had been considering AKG but what I am seeing is that those seem to be made in China now rather than Austria and are not the same quality they once were. I'd like to find something of the over-ear design whether it be closed or open back is variable.
Considering models like Shure , Beyerdynamics DT990PRO250, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the AKG K272HD but would like to know of others I should look into.
Thanks.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Pretty decent phones, I use mine on my drum machine sometimes.

They are a bit bass-heavy though, I prefer a little EQ to lower the bass on these.

Check out Grado too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
too much bass, almost 10db bump
compare it to AKG K702:

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
M50's are not over ear and for me they are not comfortable. I would look for Sennheiser HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT990 pro at your budget. Or possibly Sennheiser HD600 from discount as I have seen them going for 220 on discount.

M

Mark Adams

Audiophyte
i love LOVE the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 phones. I also tried the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and IMO they make good earmuffs that's about it. Even with a headphone amp i never liked them.

Personally i love high highs and deep bass... used them for drumming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis