headphone help... ???

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
id like to buy a good pair of full size/closed headphones in the $100 +/- range...

i dont really know much about headphones so i am seeking some suggestions...

ill be using them for mostly tv/movie watching and maybe some music. they will be feed by an onkyo 876. i am certainly not opposed to online only brands, but i would like to be able to go to a local store (best buy, hhgreg, some high end audio stores) to get my hands on them and maybe try them out.

i am currently using a pair of sony mdr cd160. they are ok... my main complaints are the cord isnt nearly long enough and there seems to be no low end grunt.

thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6 (same headphone). An alternative would be the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. I find the HD280 Pro does a better job of canceling noise outside the headphones than the Sonys do, but the Sony's are a more linear headphone. Both are great and are a great value for around $100 (usually a little under).

J

jrd5853

Enthusiast
I have been looking for headphones for two weeks now for my I-pod touch for gym usemand wanted full headphones too! I have been reading about SENNHEISER and the quality and yesterday I bought the HD 238 (on ear)from Best Buy (they were on display). I wanted to spend between 50-100 for them. I used them last night playing X-box (Aliens vs Predators) and they were pretty good. I am 70% sure I am going to return them for the SENNHEISER PX100 (on ear).

THe "GRADO" are another ideal pair to look into but can get expensive too!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If you want more of a neutral headphone, the Shure SRH440 is a superb headphone for under $100. If you want a headphone that has some low end grunt (overly so) but still good sounding the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a very good choice. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 will be especially good for gaming and movies for a closed headphone. However if you are specifically going to use headphones for this purpose (computer and console gaming), there is no better headphone than the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. Comfort and soundstage is unmatched (even at higher price ranges) and has been one of the standard headpones used for competitive gaming (counter-strike etc).

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have been looking for headphones for two weeks now for my I-pod touch for gym usemand wanted full headphones too! I have been reading about SENNHEISER and the quality and yesterday I bought the HD 238 (on ear)from Best Buy (they were on display). I wanted to spend between 50-100 for them. I used them last night playing X-box (Aliens vs Predators) and they were pretty good. I am 70% sure I am going to return them for the SENNHEISER PX100 (on ear).

THe "GRADO" are another ideal pair to look into but can get expensive too!
If you want a full sized pair of headphones to use for the gym I would strongly not recommend that. IMO a better option is to get the full sized headphone of your choice for home use and a cheap portable headphone like the Koss KSC75 for the gym. You can sometimes find these for less than $20. Very good headphone for this application.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/koss-ksc-75.php

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
If you want a full sized pair of headphones to use for the gym I would strongly not recommend that. IMO a better option is to get the full sized headphone of your choice for home use and a cheap portable headphone like the Koss KSC75 for the gym. You can sometimes find these for less than $20. Very good headphone for this application.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/koss-ksc-75.php
Koss makes very good headphones especially for the price.

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
Grados and Sennheiser are what you should be looking into. In my opinion the Grados are the best sounding headphone you can buy for your money in almost every price range and the Sennheisers are a close second but i find Sennheisers to usually be way more comfortable. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and am pretty happy with them.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
+1 to Grados and Sennheiser but keep in mind that Senn makes lots of flavors of headphone. Some optimized for portables, some for classical music, some bass heavy for trance, some very neutral. The Senn 280 is pretty neutral for it's price point and very comfortable. Grado's SR80 are also very good for the price but not overly comfortable.

You can do further research on the head-fi forums. Also although they are a retailer headphone.com has some very honest evaluations.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Koss makes very good headphones especially for the price.
Possibly the best headphones I owned were Koss K6LC. Unfortunately that was 30 years ago and IMO Koss hasn't done much lately to impress me.
I'd love to give a Wisconsin company a thumbs up, but I can't.:(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis