jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I need to get a new pair of headphones for my music class. It's an electronic music class, so I need a decent pair. I'm really thinking about getting the Sony MDR-7506 'phones, because of all the good things I've heard about them (from Dunlavy and such). However, I was wondering if it would really be worth my hundred bucks and if I would do better getting another pair. Closed ear is preferred because the room I'll be working in has about 10 computers as well as other people.

I'm looking at this as a long-term investment. I plan on using these headphones for a few years.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
I'm persuaded that the Sony V6 / 7506s are highly accurate headphones, though I would not have guessed so based on listening alone. I have a pair of V6s and as a headphone nut of sorts I would not want to do without them in my collection. Apparerntly accurate and pleasing is a trade-off in headphones -- to audiophile-school ears the V6s may sound a little harsh in the highs, forward in the mids, light in the mid-bass, and heavy in the LOW bass.

Getting an open pair of phones for under $100 that is more pleasing to the ear than the V6 is easy, but getting a closed pair for under $100 that is more pleasing to the ear than the V6 is not so easy at all. The only real competitor I know of is the Senn HD280, which isolates a little more and has a more pleasing sound to most ears compared to the V6s. However, I also find the HD280s to be much less comfortable. The HD280s are intended to be very accurate, as is obvious from the Senn HD280 manual, frequency response graph and all. Senn and Sony obviously have different ideas as to what is accurate in a headphone, which is a very slippery concept indeed. In the end I end up using the V6s more often, and if I had to choose one I'd choose the V6s.

jaxvon said:
I need to get a new pair of headphones for my music class. It's an electronic music class, so I need a decent pair. I'm really thinking about getting the Sony MDR-7506 'phones, because of all the good things I've heard about them (from Dunlavy and such). However, I was wondering if it would really be worth my hundred bucks and if I would do better getting another pair. Closed ear is preferred because the room I'll be working in has about 10 computers as well as other people.

I'm looking at this as a long-term investment. I plan on using these headphones for a few years.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I needed them, so I went out and got the 7506s. I must say, they're quite good sounding. Even with my old portable CD player, they sound awesome. Better than Sennheiser HD595s IMHO. I think these will end up being just what I need. The folding design, the miniplug compatability, and included carrying case will all surely come in handy. My coworker said that he has a pair but said they're discontinued and that I shouldn't try getting them. Called Guitar Center and they had 13 of them in stock :D.

Right now, I'm listening to 'Everything Must Go' by Steely Dan. I can say, though it is very banal for audio upgrades, "I've heard things I've never heard before". For $125 out the door (with a 2 year guarantee add-on), I'm a happy camper.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis