HDTV help for my parents

B

bmann

Audiophyte
My parents are looking to get their first HDTV this holiday season and asked me for help. I bought mine a couple of years ago, so I'm not current on what's out there right now. Can anyone make suggestions for a 42" HDTV in the the categories of bargain, mid-level price, and high end? I'm thinking they're going for 720p, but 1080p suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks.:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Im a big fan of Panasonic Plasma's for a mid level... they are priced right and have a great/fantastic picture... If your looking in the higher priced bracket, then I would suggest Pioneer Plasma's...

I just checking out Samsung's new DLP LCD tv's and they are looking pretty good, but as I see it, they don't come in that small of a size...

I have both a 50" and 42" Panasonic Commercial TV and I love them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'll second the Panasonic plasma recommendation for a 720P (or even 1080P) 42" TV in the mid-level range.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on the lighting in your room, If its really bright with alot of windows and light coming in, then maybe Plasma might not be the way to go..

LCD to me isn't the greatest, My friend bought a good quality LCD tv and on HD material, its fantastic, but with Standard Def. from his cable company its looks dreadful. In stores you should make sure you get to see what the SD material looks like, not just HD which they show off their sets with...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm thinking they're going for 720p, but 1080p suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks.:)
What are they watching or will watch on this TV? Cable TV only? A few DVD movies? Hi-def movies? How far do they usually sit from the TV?
Broadcast TV will not be passing 1080p signals for a while, if ever, too much bandwidth required, so 720p and 1080i will be the norm.

SHAWNSMITH

SHAWNSMITH

Audiophyte
I agree about the Panasonic tv line....... They may also want to consider Jvc or Samsung. We use all three alot in most of our Installations

B

bmann

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll suggest the panasonic. My dad's thronish lazy boy is at a fairly severe angle, so I think the plasma is the way to go with that. I don't think they're very discerning when it comes to audio/visual equipment, thus leaning towards 720p. However, I saw a panasonic 1080p that was only $200 more than a similar 720p, so it's almost worth it regardless for that price. Thanks again.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll suggest the panasonic. My dad's thronish lazy boy is at a fairly severe angle, so I think the plasma is the way to go with that. I don't think they're very discerning when it comes to audio/visual equipment, thus leaning towards 720p. However, I saw a panasonic 1080p that was only $200 more than a similar 720p, so it's almost worth it regardless for that price. Thanks again.
Sears has the new 1080p 42" TH-42PZ77U for $1399. It's a killer deal and ends on Nov. 3. But you can also get the 768p TH-42PX75U for $1099. I would get them the cheaper panasonic and an hd-dvd player to see if they like the new high def stuff. I have the 50" PX75U and it is very nice. The viewing angle on it is outstanding, almost like a crt.

And btw the only LCD that I have seen with a very good viewing angle is the new Samsung 71F series. They are somewhat expensive though.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
However, I saw a panasonic 1080p that was only $200 more than a similar 720p, so it's almost worth it regardless for that price. Thanks again.
Maybe, it's not like 1080p is really better. If their vision isn't that great (depends on how old they are and other things) they may not be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and then it'd just be wasted money to buy the 1080.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis