HDTV/DVI/Component/Etc. (Newbie ?s)

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
First off, let me apologize as some of these questions may seem extremely elementary to most of you on here. Also, this is my first post, so please excuse any 'formatting' errors.

I have recently purchased the Viewsonic PJ510 projector. The projector does NOT have a DVI input but claims to support 720p/1080i resolution (HDTV) signal. The projector does have S-video/Component/Composite inputs.

I am currently using a component cable which was a vast improvement over my previous composite. I realize that most all of the new DVD players will out put 480p with the progessive scan capability, but they all say that 720p/1080i is availalble through DVI output only.

1) How does a projector w/o DVI input support 720p/1080i input signal?

2) I plan to purchase a DVD player also, so, is there a DVD player capable of 720p/1080i resolution through a component connection?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
GaTechFan said:
The projector does NOT have a DVI input but claims to support 720p/1080i resolution (HDTV) signal. .

1) How does a projector w/o DVI input support 720p/1080i input signal?
the only way I can think is that is has an on-board HDTV receiver, in which case, it would display whatever quality the signal was actually transmitted. note that this doesn't help you with inputs from any components you might add...

If the HDTV receiver is a seperate box, then I have no clue how you would get the upper caliber signals into it... :confused:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DVDs - The actual DVDs themselves are not 720p or 1080i, the DVD player converts them from 480p to the 'HD' formats. But, the DVDs themselves are NOT HD so the fact that the DVD player only outputs 720p or 1080i on the DVI/HDMI cable only has nothing to do with a necessity to put them on those cables - it is a manufacturing decision.

The reality is that 1080i and 720p can be carried on COMPONENT cables. So, get a HD cable box or HD DSS receiver and hook it up component to your projector and you will be viewing true HD material (in whatever native format your projector actually outputs) on your screen.

I am not sure about a DVD player that outputs 1080i/720p on component, but you can get DVI to RGB (15 pin) adapters that may work with your projector. I would take a look at the Samsung DVD player with 720p/1080i conversion. But, really, there is no guarantee that the image will look better since it must use a processor on the DVD player to change the format of the video material - then your projector converts the material AGAIN to fit the native output resolution of your projector which is 800x600 pixels.

The Viewsonic projectors are not at all designed for home theater/video use so you may be somewhat disappointed in your final picture quality, but it should support HD with no problem.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
DVDs - The actual DVDs themselves are not 720p or 1080i, the DVD player converts them from 480p to the 'HD' formats. But, the DVDs themselves are NOT HD so the fact that the DVD player only outputs 720p or 1080i on the DVI/HDMI cable only has nothing to do with a necessity to put them on those cables - it is a manufacturing decision.
BMX, can you tell us anything about "HD mastered" DVD's ? I picked up the Resident Evil 1&2 combo pack ($25 at BB for the next day or two) which say they are "Mastered in High Definition"..

what kind of resolution should we be able to expect from something like that ?

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
You should check on the native format of your projector. Since it is probably lcd-based, that format is likely 768p. Your projector will probably convert all input to that format. So whether you put in 1080i, 720p, or humble 480p from a de-interlaced DVD image, the final result will ultimately be determined by the scaling in your projector. Only a crt-based projector will benefit from DVD player up-conversion

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
Personal ?s answered ....

After several late nights, researching, reading, etc, I discovered that the Zenith DVB318 will do 720p/1080i through component. Although, you do have to do a firmware 'update' to a previous version to allow this.

Another question, though.

1) If you used a DVI-to-RGB cable, is that going to cause 'noise' or signal loss?

Here is the thread, or How-To on the firmware updating on the Zenith DVB318 if anyone is dealing w/ the lack of DVI input.

Zenith DVB318 Thread

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Leprkon said:
BMX, can you tell us anything about "HD mastered" DVD's ? I picked up the Resident Evil 1&2 combo pack ($25 at BB for the next day or two) which say they are "Mastered in High Definition"..

what kind of resolution should we be able to expect from something like that ?
The resolution of DVDs is set - It is 480p, there is no changing it. A lot of people think that a progressive scan DVD player changes the format of the DVD from interlaced to progressive - but it is actually not so. The video is always put onto the DVD in a MPEG2 encoded progressive scan format at 480p.

Now, as we push forward with HD technology, I would think that many movies are converted to video using fairly high quality video mastering techniques. I would think 'mastered in hd' is more a gimmick than anything else. I recently read an article about the conversion process and the scanning that is done of film to video is MUCH higher quality than HD. They scan at about 5-10 times the quality, per frame, that any HD television can currently produce. Then, when it is all stored on a computer, the information is converted to MPEG2 for DVD or is ready to be converted to a newer form of media as it becomes available - That is, it is ready to go onto Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in 2005/2006 when they are released.

Do NOT expect higher quality from something listed as 'mastered in HD'. The quality of a DVD depends very much on the quality of the compressors that are doing the work and the expertise of the people who are actually creating the DVD material. A good shop will know exactly how to properly encode a movie to DVD and the results will show in the DVD quality at playback.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
ebough said:
You should check on the native format of your projector. Since it is probably lcd-based, that format is likely 768p. Your projector will probably convert all input to that format. So whether you put in 1080i, 720p, or humble 480p from a de-interlaced DVD image, the final result will ultimately be determined by the scaling in your projector. Only a crt-based projector will benefit from DVD player up-conversion
This is somewhat inaccurate...

Most LCD projectors are one of MANY different formats. His projector is 800x600 pixels (600p 4:3). Every LCD may be different so there is no telling when upconversion may be useful.

For example, my LCD projector is a 960x540 projector which is exactly 1/4 of 1080i. It does a phenomenal job with 1080i material because of the perfect scaling that goes on from 1080i to 540p. So, I see a visible (if only marginal) improvement by using the DVI connection and HD upconversion of DVD. Now, I just previewed a DVD player and decided it wasn't actually worth purchasing because the upgrade was that small... But, I would NOT spend the money for a upconverting DVD player myself as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are only about a year out. The 'latest and greatest' today will be ancient history once HD video is available to the consumer.

Almost any projector that is designed for HD material will see some improvement in quality from a DVD player with HD upconversion. But, the Viewsonic is not designed for HD material - it is designed for portability and provides a 800x600 (SVGA) format which, by today's standards is barely acceptable. For video, it would be good if contrast ratio was high (at or over 1000:1) and lumen output was at or above about 400 calibrated lumens.... which it is not. I can imagine that video would be 'fun' on this projector, but it is far from a serious video projector and is truly incapable of showing all that DVDs or HDTV has to offer in picture quality. Many displays, like the new Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sony projectors are native 720p LCD projectors (1280x720) and are designed for home theater use with HDTV as a primary source. I stronly recommend that anyone looking for a front projection system start with those as their bottom line, and work upwards from there.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
GaTechFan said:
1) If you used a DVI-to-RGB cable, is that going to cause 'noise' or signal loss?
I've gotta say that I am not 100% sure. I'm not trying to bash your projector, because it is good for what it was designed for, but it was not designed for video.

If you haven't bought a DVD player, then I would recomment a sub $100.00 unit with progressive scan output for your projector. A more expensive upconverting DVD player will likely give you zero benefit.

The conversion from DVI to RGB is a zero loss change, but it requires that the DVI player actually carries the video signal in RGB format. It is NOT a digital to analog conversion, but just a cable type change. What I am not sure of is if DVD players, that output DVI material, include both digital and analog on the DVI connection or if it is only digital information that is sent out. If it is digital only, then you are SOL without a DVI connection unless you go with one that has component only connections.

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
Well, now that I realize my projector is a piece of junk ...

... j/k. Although, it does say it supports HDTV signals (including 720p/1080i). From everything I have read, I should notice the difference when switching to a Progressive Scan dvd player.

I ordered the Zenith DVB318 DVD player ($150.00). At worst, Im getting a DCDi chip (Farouja) w/ progessive scan and the 'ability' to have 720p/1080i through component. If it doesnt make any difference w/ my viewsonic projector then, I will be prepared and more knowledgeable for my next projector purchase.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
:) Obviously your projector is not junk, but more... entry level.

The Zenith isn't crazy expensive, so you should be happy with it, and next year when HD discs become available, you will be that much further along with your knowledge of this stuff.

Check out www.projectorcentral.com - There are excellent articles and a lot of reviews of projectors as well as many recommendations in many price ranges for projectors. I started in this business only 6 years ago, but really, that is when the switch from CRT to the newer LCD and DLP began to occur... So I've been fortunate to see a lot of this technology progress, and have been interested enough to read up on it as things change.

ProjectorCentral.com has been one of my guidebooks in projectors though - a LOT to explore and read about. The projector I currently own, I bought site unseen, via mail-order, because of reviews and additional readings through that site.

You should be happy with your projector, the reviews of it are favorable, but the quality numbers don't match up with a projector that is really designed for video use. So, you will love it, but someday you will get a serious video projector and you will love that one even more.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Over at audioreview.com there is a gentleman named Woodman who has been in the industry for 50 years. He seems to have an answer for everything and anything about TV's, HDTV,component cables, hdmi all formats 480p 720p 1080i and so on. Give him a post, he has helped out lots of people.

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
I was looking for the same way to increase the squeeze more from my X1 Infocus projector by purchasing a DVD player that upconvert to 780p and 1080i. I send a thread her but also as to Infocus customer service. BMXTRIX and Infocus tell me the same ansewer you got. But hey I am still happy with my X1, the resolution mught be 800x600 but it cost me $1200 cdn 2 years ago , it have the DCDI chip in it and the picture is petty good, the black are not that bad and it give me a 8 foot screen. Nothing wrong to be a entry level projector like BMXTRIX said. If you like me in 2 or 3 year our next upgrade will be like the best of the line of today but at much lower price...just be patiens

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis