R

ralphy670

Enthusiast
Can someone please explain to me what HDMI switching is and what are the benefits of having a HDMI swithcing avr. I currently have an HK avr340 but have an opportunity to get a HK avr445. I do not have a need for HDMI yet but will I need it in the future if I upgrade. My TV only has component and DVI on it, but I might be upgrading to a plasma in the near future.
Thanks for all the help and sorry if this is a dumb question.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The first thing to know is that HDMI and DVI are both digital formats and you can pick up inexpensive converters that change a HDMI cable to a DVI cable. It isn't 100% identical, but most of the time if you have DVI, like on your TV, you can likely run a HDMI device into it with a HDMI->DVI converter.

So, great! Your TV accepts digital signals and you can utilize HDMI.

So, you look at your HD cable box. HDMI #1
Look at your upconverting DVD player. HDMI #2
Add a PS3 to the mix. HDMI #3

Well, now you need to switch between those multiple HDMI sources. Seems to me that is when that HDMI switching built into your A/V receiver could be beneficial.

ENOUGH TO WARRANT AN UPGRADE?

In my opinion, most often, no. You can pick up external HDMI switchers, such as the 5x1 HDMI switcher from www.monoprice.com and get HDMI switching for less money than replacing an A/V receiver which may offer you little else that you actually need.

The single big plus to HDMI switching on A/V receivers? HDMI carries the audio AND video signals. So, instead of the need to run both audio and video cables to your AVR, you just run the single HDMI cable. Great for people that are easily confused, but not necessary by a long shot.

R

ralphy670

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick response. The avr 445 also offers 10 watts mreo per channel than my avr340. Would I notice any difference in power even though I am only running Polk Satellite speakers? And would 10 watts be that much more beneficial when I upgrade to larger speakers?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
no you wont notice the 10 watt difference...
but as far as I know, the 4 series HK has some more features than the 3 series HK

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
be careful that your reciever does switch and not do passthrough which passes the video and does not send audio to the reciever.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis