M

Marianne

Audiophyte
Hello, Marianne here with a question. I need to purchase an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to an external monitor. I understand that HDMI cable version 1.4 cable is limited to ONLY 8 bit color depth AT 4K resolution. However, if the resolution of my monitor is NOT 4K but RATEHR IT IS 2560 by 1440 i.e. LESS than 4K will the HDMI cable VERSION 1.4 cable be able to support 10 bit color depth? The monitor's description says it WILL support 10 bit color depth IF the HDMI cable supports 10 bit color depth. I have read various articles online with conflicting information so any advice will be appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello, Marianne here with a question. I need to purchase an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to an external monitor. I understand that HDMI cable version 1.4 cable is limited to ONLY 8 bit color depth AT 4K resolution. However, if the resolution of my monitor is NOT 4K but RATEHR IT IS 2560 by 1440 i.e. LESS than 4K will the HDMI cable VERSION 1.4 cable be able to support 10 bit color depth? The monitor's description says it WILL support 10 bit color depth IF the HDMI cable supports 10 bit color depth. I have read various articles online with conflicting information so any advice will be appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
Marianne
Fret not and worry not about HDMI cables and all the nonsense about what you can and can't do .

If you want technical detail, READ THIS AUDIOHOLIC ARTICLE.

The article will explain each of the improvements to the HDMI spec from back in the day to the most up to date. Y'all don't have to worry. If you go buy a current HDMI cable, especially one that brags and says its "HD" you have all the HDMI cable you need to run a TV. Pretty much any TV.

Cables are an area where there are a lot of sketchy claims. Usually, the more a vendor wants for a cable, the sketchier the claims. With HDMI however, the primary thing you have to pay attention to is length. If you run a 10 foot cable : its gonna work. If you need 20 , or 30 or 40 feet, then you need to pay attention to the cable itself. Otherwise, its pretty much gonna work. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis