J

Jack N

Audioholic
It's been a really long time since I've been in the market for a receiver, but apparently it's been longer than I thought. Most all of the receivers I've looked at don't have an HD Radio tuner. I would have thought it would be standard equipment on all receivers by now, even the cheap ones. I realize there's a lot of streaming going on now days, but not to put HD tuners into receivers - what's up with that? I would have to think it would cost manufacturers next to nothing to build in and would be another advertising point. Doesn't make sense to me. Can someone give me some insight?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
HD Radio is a must-have for 12V auto OE but little demand on the home theater side just like XM/Sirius satellite radio. AVRs have too much competitive price pressure to include costly features that are rarely used..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How many HD radio stations can you receive? I don't have any....

J

Jack N

Audioholic
M Code - Like the avatar. Brings back memories. But I don't agree this would be a costly feature, or that it would be rarely used - You don't have to pay a nickel for the service where as with a few of the streaming services you do. You certainly could be right though.

lovinthehd - I listen to classic rock and the wife listens to country. In my area (Minneapolis suburb) all of the stations we listen to are HD stations - so maybe 8-10 different stations between us. I'm sure there are other music genres around here that are HD also. So there's no lack of HD stations to listen to around here anyway. I'm surprised to hear you don't have any in your area.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
HD Radio, Hardly Desirable Radio - will go the way of 8-track tape, and the Sony BetaMax :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
M Code - Like the avatar. Brings back memories. But I don't agree this would be a costly feature, or that it would be rarely used - You don't have to pay a nickel for the service where as with a few of the streaming services you do. You certainly could be right though.

lovinthehd - I listen to classic rock and the wife listens to country. In my area (Minneapolis suburb) all of the stations we listen to are HD stations - so maybe 8-10 different stations between us. I'm sure there are other music genres around here that are HD also. So there's no lack of HD stations to listen to around here anyway. I'm surprised to hear you don't have any in your area.
It depends where you live. iBiquity HD radio has had poor market penetration. In our area MPR has covered the state with an HD signal and provided channels only accessible on HD and not standard FM.

A lot of the problems are of iBiquity's making. Initially there were a lot of quality issues. License fees are high which I suspect is a reason for receiver manufacturers dropping them.

On the other end the capital cost of the equipment and license is very high. On the transmitter end technical problems were a big issue and too slowly solved. Even now in Minnesota you can get periods when HD service is down.

So my three older pre/pros had HD radio, my new one, not yet in service does not. It is not a big problem as all the HD channels and then some, are streamed at as good, and in fact slightly better quality than HD. So I just have "fast buttons" on my audio workstation that connect me right away. This is actually better and more reliable.

The biggest benefit if HD is in cars. None of our cars have it though. Market penetration is extending among auto makers, but I suspect too late to save HD.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is really Minnesota that is the outlier here. HD coverage is widespread here, largely due to the leadership of MPR. Having said that I have on a number of occasions taken up with the MPR leadership whether it is and had been a wise use of member dollars. It is my view that less money could have been spent on improving streaming would actually have been more productive. Their stream could have been an HD stream that I think would have produced better results for less. When they started that might have been hard to see. However people in touch I think could see the way things were going to go.

Anyhow which suburb of the metro are you in? We have moved off Benedict lake and are in our Townhome in Eagan for another three weeks. We should move in to our new home in Eagan three weeks from tomorrow.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks for the info. Interesting that MPR is so involved with it. Disappointing that the licensing fees are so high and technical issues weren’t ironed out right away. Too bad. At least we can still enjoy it while it’s still here.

Congrats on the new home! Always enjoy hearing good news. I’m in the NW corner, roughly a mile or two from the Albertville outlet mall.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have passed by Albertville often as we lived about 30 years in Grand Forks and since our kids all moved to the metro and we bought the lake place we passes you by often. When I have all systems up running and calibrated you will have to pay a visit.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
It's been a really long time since I've been in the market for a receiver, but apparently it's been longer than I thought. Most all of the receivers I've looked at don't have an HD Radio tuner. I would have thought it would be standard equipment on all receivers by now, even the cheap ones. I realize there's a lot of streaming going on now days, but not to put HD tuners into receivers - what's up with that? I would have to think it would cost manufacturers next to nothing to build in and would be another advertising point. Doesn't make sense to me. Can someone give me some insight?
Outlaw RR2160 Stereo Receiver
HD Radio comes standard
Buy new retail or B-Stock or special holiday sale or used.
Nice little machine.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
TLS Guy - Sounds like a plan.

Out-Of-Phase - Thanks for the tip.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis