HD-DVD Movies by X-mas

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
I just read in PC Magazine that there will be 89 HD-DVD DVDs released by the HD-DVD coalition studios by X-Mas. Anyone know which ones?

Also, does anyone know of any blu-ray DVDs that will be released by that time?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Last word was all releases are on hiatus until the Blu*Ray & HDDVD consortiums can agree to agree (or disagree) on a unified standard. So currently there are no official releases until further notice, which may or may not be until after Xmas 2057.

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
A lot of the movies coming out today are being filmed in hd so most of the ones from the last year or so will come out in a hd dvd. The first film I know of filmed in HD is "50 first dates" of all movies.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Most of the films are already coming out in HD and shown on HBO and Showtime, and several of them also come out on D-VHS. I was just curious to see if anyone actually has found a list of the upcoming releases for HD-DVD and blu-ray DVDs.

This month's, or week's, PC Magazine talks specifically about commitments for 89 HD-DVD releases from the studios backing it. Has blu-ray vs HD-DVD on the top of the cover. Its actually a very good read, too. Talks about the advantages of one versus the other.

Seems to me, from what they talk about DVD production, that the costs associated with a switch to the HD-DVD standard, from DVD, are much more appealing for the manufacturers which might tilt the thing towards HD-DVD.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
All three of the new Star Wars movies were filmed in HD.
HD-DVD is gonna rock but will be expensive. I am gonna be careful and say $35-40 for a single movie and maybe a two disc set.

~Bob

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
Just found it http://www.dvdtown.com/article/hd-dvdupdateandlistoftitles/1582/

Universal:
The Bourne Supremacy
The Chronicles of Riddick
Van Helsing
Apollo 13
U-571
12 Monkeys
Dune
The Thing
End of Days
Backdraft
Waterworld
The Bone Collector
Spy Game
Pitch Black
Conan the Barbarian
Dante's Peak

Warner Bros., New Line and HBO:
Above the Law
Alexander
Angels in America
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Batman Begins
Blade
Catwoman
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Constantine
Contact
Dark City
The Dukes of Hazzard
Eraser
Executive Decision
Final Destination
Friday
From the Earth to the Moon
The Fugitive
Gothika
Hard to Kill
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
House of Was (2005)
The Last Samurai
The Mask
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Maverick
Million Dollar Baby
The Music Man
Mystic River
Next of Kin
North by Northwest
Ocean's Eleven
Ocean's Twelve
Passenger 57
The Perfect Storm
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
The Player
The Polar Express
Red Planet
Rush Hour
Se7en
Soldier
The Sopranos
Spawn
Swordfish
Troy
Under Siege
U.S. Marshals
Wild Wild West

Paramount:
The Manchurian Candidate
Spongebob Squarepants
Elizabethtown
Coach Carter
The Italian Job (2004)
School of Rock
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Ghost
Grease
Mission Impossible 2
Black Rain
Save the Last Dance
Sleepy Hollow
U2 Rattle & Hum
Vanilla Sky
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Star Trek: First Contact
We Were Soldiers

I would appreciate if someone could point out what makes either better. Only thing I've seen important is blu-ray 25gb or double sided 50gb and a hd-dvd format that can do 50gb also.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Damn, youre good. :)

Ill re-read it and see if I can put together a list of the differences between the two, along with their pros and cons.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Hey JM,

Ive been tied up with my sister and her family visiting us this weekend. Sorry I didnt get a chance to post the points yet, I will work on that and post it for you today.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
JM,

I thought I posted this a few days ago, but apparently it didnt make it on here .. so ill sum the stuff up here really quick:

The blu-ray holds more information, and uses a smaller "reader" than the HD-DVD. The HD DVD I believe holds 25/50 GB and the blu-ray does 32/65 GB (single/double sided).

Apparently, because HD-DVD is a progression of the current DVD format, it is a lot easier, as far as production of DVDs goes for current mfg plants to switch from the current DVD format to HD, cost and time wise, than it would be to go to blu-ray with the same plants.

Studio wise, its pretty much down the middle on who is supporting/leaning on what standard and youve already seen the list of upcomming HD-DVDs before Xmas on this thread.

For the most part, I would say get ready to buy both formats .. as they both seem to be coming. :)

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Filmed In HD?????

Khellandros66 said:
All three of the new Star Wars movies were filmed in HD.
HD-DVD is gonna rock but will be expensive. I am gonna be careful and say $35-40 for a single movie and maybe a two disc set.

~Bob
ALL 35MM FILM is by definition High Definition. That includes just about every major motion picture release. 35MM film is considered a high definition format so just about any film can be released in High Definition for television. In the Star Wars movie mentioned above you probably meant to say that it was shot in High Definition without the use of motion picture film!!!! Yes, there were a few theatrical films that were not shot on 35MM but they are few and far between. As an example, some of the Disney nature films were originally shot on 16mm film and then blown up to 35MM. Also, there were a few experimental movies shot in "electronovision" back in the 60's such as "Harlow" (The Carol Linley version in B/W on videotape) Just about all the earlier TV series were shot on 35MM film. That is why you can see "Hogans Heros" in high definition today.

Jagger

Jagger

Enthusiast
This is the AV industry, we try not to standardize to many standards, that would be too easy!

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
ruadmaa said:
ALL 35MM FILM is by definition High Definition. That includes just about every major motion picture release. 35MM film is considered a high definition format so just about any film can be released in High Definition for television. In the Star Wars movie mentioned above you probably meant to say that it was shot in High Definition without the use of motion picture film!!!! Yes, there were a few theatrical films that were not shot on 35MM but they are few and far between. As an example, some of the Disney nature films were originally shot on 16mm film and then blown up to 35MM. Also, there were a few experimental movies shot in "electronovision" back in the 60's such as "Harlow" (The Carol Linley version in B/W on videotape) Just about all the earlier TV series were shot on 35MM film. That is why you can see "Hogans Heros" in high definition today.
And don't forget 70mm film and IMAX. I believe part of EP I and EP II and maybe all of EP III were shot digitally (or something like that). But like you said my understanding is all current movies are at a resolution that is higher than the current HD standard of 1920x1080 pixels.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
jmgillespie said:
I would appreciate if someone could point out what makes either better. Only thing I've seen important is blu-ray 25gb or double sided 50gb and a hd-dvd format that can do 50gb also.
Better? As far as video and audio quality go, the codecs that will be used will allow for either disc format to contain HD versions of LotR-ExtEd length movies without issue.

I just read an article on Tom's Hardware Guide about the ensuing standards war and they said the number of movies coming out was supposed to be 90, but Titanic has been temporarily removed because of the controlling companies behind it... oh darn...

The guy writing the articla makes a few mistakes in his techno-speak, but it's a decent read nonetheless:
http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050616/index.html

J

jmgillespie

Junior Audioholic
Sounds good HD-DVD looks like the way to go cheaper and easier. They'll have a hard enough time trying to fill 25gb I bet they won't need 65gb that would only be good for computer use I guess. Not a big enough of a difference to spend the extra money and time on blue-ray tecnology.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
nick_danger said:
The guy writing the articla makes a few mistakes in his techno-speak, but it's a decent read nonetheless:
http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20050616/index.html
Yes it was a very good read.
I particularly liked the HVD format and even better the DMD/FMD format. Both sound better than the other 2.
I do not like the fact that the HD-DVD may require a internet/phone line connection. And that a player could become what they call "a doorstop".
So if there is the 2 to choose from, I would have to go with Blu-Ray.

Certainly there goes any chance of copying dvd's, until someone figures out how to get more than 6kb of data at a time.
Surely it will be done in the future, as most medias claimed that it could not be copied. Yet all current formats can be copied. Its just a matter of which geek will sit down and figure it out. I am a geek, and wish I was one of the ones I'm speaking of.
Say like B. Gates..... :(

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
It's the audio and video standards that will matter

My guess is that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray equipment will perform extremely well. The capacity of the discs will not be an issue because recently both camps have shown dual layer and above capabilities.

The key factors in my mind are going to be the video and audio codecs used on the software and what type of extras the studios can use to entise us to buy their movie. If this format war gets going, the studios are going to have to pick a side, which most already have, and that means you may have to pick a side based on the side which has more movies you like. Unless of course all studios decide to release their movies in both formats, which is far from certain at this point.

Still, the video quality comes down to the video codec adopted. Mandatory for both groups are: MPEG-2 (currently used for most DVD's-and hopefully not used much for blue laser stuff because it isn't up to the task), MPEG-4 part 10 (a.k.a. H.264, AVC, and whatever else it's being called this week), and VC-9 (windows media version). Hopefully as little compression is used as is necessary, but one never knows what will happen. It will be interesting to see how these codecs perform, and whether the chipsets used to decode them will be good performers initially.

I'm sure that the audio performance will be ignored by the majority (You must realize that us at Audioholics are the minority :( ). However, great improvements can be made on the audio side a movie as well. Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks are compressed formats, and can be improved upon. There are new madatory audio standards for the blue laser discs - Dolby Digital +, and DTS-HD. There is no reason why a movie soundtrack can't sound near as good as a DVD-audio or SACD disc (MLP is also a madatory format).

Anyway, should be interesting. My point basically is that it won't be whether blu-ray or hd-dvd is the superior format. It will be what audio and video codecs and extras are adopted for the majority of the movies on each side and whether or not there is a noticable difference between the two (my opinion, of course).

L

lmorgante

Audiophyte
download

Catdaddy said:
I just read in PC Magazine that there will be 89 HD-DVD DVDs released by the HD-DVD coalition studios by X-Mas. Anyone know which ones?

Also, does anyone know of any blu-ray DVDs that will be released by that time?
does anyone know where i can download movies i live in australia

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis