Have an idea of what I want, don't know how to get there

S

SystemZ

Audiophyte
First time here. I've always enjoyed a good sounding system, but have always been on the entry level side of things. For the most part have used an A/V receiver for switching between inputs and TV. Now that picture quality and 4K has increased, my old Yamaha isn't cutting the HDMI passthrough to the TV. I had a temp workaround (cable into HDMI2 port in TV, then play the audio out to the Yamaha through the ARC). It worked, somewhat. Inputs at times would get confused, and I was kind of getting sick of working in another room to "dad, there's no sound" or "dad, there's no picture"...

So, new receiver time so I can get back to proper switching through the AVR. I really didn't want to spend a lot, but did want that passthrough as my first requirement. I thought I was ok with sticking with a 5.1 system. Stock is really limited out there...But enter the Sony STR-DN1080, which I found this past Sunday. This isn't a review of that system, but I will leave it as it is not the right AVR for me. Guess if i'm going to get heights for Atmos, want to be able to expand beyond 5.1.2...

I'm most likely going to return that sony and look for something else. Current speakers are Klipsch Quintet that still sound good. Would probably move the fr R&L to the rear and would look to get something for the front that would have the atmos elevation speakers. At this point, am I looking at an AVR that is 7.1.2, if there is such an animal, or do I need to go to a 9.1.2 type system? Realizing I'm going to have to go up in a price point, any recommendations for something that would fit for tv watching/movies/music?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
5.1.2 vs 7.1.2 vs 9.1.2 depends on your room size and number of rows of seats.

My room is 26x22, and I went with 5.2.4.

I think most rooms are about 14x16 or 16x18 and 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 is probably great.

Some guys think that having as many speakers as possible is better, but I don't think so. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
5.1.2 vs 7.1.2 vs 9.1.2 depends on your room size and number of rows of seats.

My room is 26x22, and I went with 5.2.4.

I think most rooms are about 14x16 or 16x18 and 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 is probably great.

Some guys think that having as many speakers as possible is better, but I don't think so. :D
Sometimes less IS more!
But I’m not a fan of .2 Atmos. I think if there’s any latitude at all, 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2 and is the way to go.

S

SystemZ

Audiophyte
Thanks! I think a 5.2.4 may be the way to go for my room layout. It isn't huge and is more of a "family room" than a theater.

So I guess I need to focus on 9.2 systems as a start?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been a Marantz or Denon (owned by the same company and share many internals and features) owner for the last 8 years or so, and what really sticks out for me is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction employed by both brands. It does a really good job in my room with bass. For the newest and latest cutting edge the Denon 3700 is right in the sweet spot between price and performance, imo and will fit the bill for what you need with some nice features.

You could also look at previous models to save a little. The Marantz SR6014 for $999 (only 1 left!) is a really nice receiver too, and still pretty current for today's uses. Definitely more up to date than you are right now! A few of us have bought from AC4L before and had good experiences. That's where I got my SR6011 and it's still going strong. I use it every day. Just make sure you go over the return policy so you know what's up. I think they charge a restocking fee. One member did get a lemon, but they credited him after going through their process.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis