Have a chance to score a M&K complete surround thx theater system should I go for it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys I have a guy offering the M&K complete original package.

3M&K S-150's for F C R. 4 M&K SS-150 for the surrounds. He's asking literally pennies for the dollar on this. My sales rep at Bjorn's says I'd be crazy not to check this out. He's there to sell me stuff that made me pause

I currently have 3 SVS prime towers with Elan Theaterpointsthp650sls as surrounds. I have 2 SVS PB 4000's as subs. I was planning on upgrading next year to 3 SVS ultra towers and moving the prime towers to surrounds. Is his package worth it if I can hear a demo? He's offering them for a really good price.

P.S. He's offering the M&K MX-100 sub and MX-200 sub for only $200 more. Would these pair well with the SVS PB 4000's if I use them near field behind the couches. If not I just want the speakers.

Could really use some advice before I go check this out if he's willing to do a demo.
Thanks for your time

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those speakers are THX certified, so they should be pretty decent. THX certification isn't the easiest thing to get, and it insures that the speakers perform above a certain level of sound quality. If they are really cheap, sure get them, and if you don't like them very much, you can just sell them. The M&K subs wouldn't quite be on par with your PB-4000 subs but they should still be good.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Those speakers are THX certified, so they should be pretty decent. THX certification isn't the easiest thing to get, and it insures that the speakers perform above a certain level of sound quality. If they are really cheap, sure get them, and if you don't like them very much, you can just sell them. The M&K subs wouldn't quite be on par with your PB-4000 subs but they should still be good.
Yeah he's selling the speakers all 7 for $1300. They retailed for over $5000. They say George Lucas uses them in his room. Doesn't really mean anything tho. I can get the whole package including both subs for $1500. He's moving tho so he's pricing to sell fast. I'll only do it if it I can demo he said he can but I havent heard back from him yet to confirm when.

I've heard great things on the reviews but I don't really know if I want to give up my dream of all SVS towers Ultras in the front and Primed on the surrounds. If these are some kind off amazing killer deal or speakers I'd be willing to do it.

Just needed your guys feedback on if these are as good as reviews and some people say they are. If so for that price and 2 extra subs I might just have to pull the trigger. But there going to have to really blow me away to get me off of my SVS dream of all tower speakers

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Tripole surrounds? Wonder if that is ok for Atmos?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Tripole surrounds? Wonder if that is ok for Atmos?
Not sure that's why I'm checking with you guys they say these do both they act like a monopod but also diffuse the sound with the dipole effect on the sides.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure that's why I'm checking with you guys they say these do both they act like a monopod but also diffuse the sound with the dipole effect on the sides.
Ya no idea but that stood out. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah he's selling the speakers all 7 for $1300. They retailed for over $5000. They say George Lucas uses them in his room. Doesn't really mean anything tho. I can get the whole package including both subs for $1500. He's moving tho so he's pricing to sell fast. I'll only do it if it I can demo he said he can but I havent heard back from him yet to confirm when.

I've heard great things on the reviews but I don't really know if I want to give up my dream of all SVS towers Ultras in the front and Primed on the surrounds. If these are some kind off amazing killer deal or speakers I'd be willing to do it.

Just needed your guys feedback on if these are as good as reviews and some people say they are. If so for that price and 2 extra subs I might just have to pull the trigger. But there going to have to really blow me away to get me off of my SVS dream of all tower speakers
While they are undoubtedly nice speakers, they are more meant for dedicated home theaters to be mounted behind acoustically transparent screens. If you don't have that, I would skip them. It seems like you are aiming for a different type of setup, a family room type home theater system, and regular tower speakers would be better for that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
While they are undoubtedly nice speakers, they are more meant for dedicated home theaters to be mounted behind acoustically transparent screens. If you don't have that, I would skip them. It seems like you are aiming for a different type of setup, a family room type home theater system, and regular tower speakers would be better for that.
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. I just love towers it's my dreams to run gorgeous towers and a beautiful set in that living room and I think the SVS setup is what I want. Besides he's never responded back about that demo after I asked him so oh well no sleep lost. Thanks for the input guys

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Besides I'd rather have the monoprice 15 ultra's firing behind my couch to go with those PB 4000"s. Man I just close my eyes and see it. 3 SVS ultra towers bringing home that front stage, with 4 Svs prime towers, crushing it on surround duty with the overheads oh so sweet delivered by those RSL C34E's. With those gorgeous PB 4000's smashing in that beautiful BASS from the front while those muscled Monoprice Monolith 15 beasts smash it back from the backside. Oh man! It's getting hot in here! I think I need a cold shower! I'm getting excited! :eek:

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Miller & Kreisel was the company Lucasfilm worked with to develop the THX standard. To say they are competent in producing THX speakers is a monumental understatement.

A buddy of mine bought the 750 series 5.1 setup. It's certified Select, so works for small rooms. I am pretty certain these are Ultra certified, so they'd work better for your room. If these things are in good shape, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I'd grab the subs too. I personally would pay double that if they're in good shape.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Miller & Kreisel was the company Lucasfilm worked with to develop the THX standard. To say they are competent in producing THX speakers is a monumental understatement.

A buddy of mine bought the 750 series 5.1 setup. It's certified Select, so works for small rooms. I am pretty certain these are Ultra certified, so they'd work better for your room. If these things are in good shape, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. I'd grab the subs too. I personally would pay double that if they're in good shape.
Man I appreciate the heads up on that I may just still go with that I was dialoging with the fella and when I asked if I could get a demo not even a full one just a 2 channel demo so I could ensure each speaker worked well I was met with silence. I may thanks to your feedback try to reach out again but we'll just have to see if he responds.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks again for the heads up I'll keep you posted I'm willing to go with it if possible because that means Id be done on upgrading speakers if these things are as good as its being said. That in itself would save me a lot of headache and cost

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Eh the posting is down I really didn't feel good after he stopped responding when I asked if I could hear them so no worries saves me money right now anyways

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Eh the posting is down I really didn't feel good after he stopped responding when I asked if I could hear them so no worries saves me money right now anyways
Dude, if that frickin guy is a forum member or saw this thread and repost it for a higher price I will kick him so hard in the nuts he'll walk away with a vagina!

I haven't a doubt in my mind that going your intended route would gloriously ridiculous. My local guy is having a blowout sale right now so I'm looking to capitalize:p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, if that frickin guy is a forum member or saw this thread and repost it for a higher price I will kick him so hard in the nuts he'll walk away with a vagina!

I haven't a doubt in my mind that going your intended route would gloriously ridiculous. My local guy is having a blowout sale right now so I'm looking to capitalize:p
Yeah my set up is in the living room and I do think going the full SVS route would be glorious and just look killer as well. So I'm okay with it not working out. Thanks for your feedback tho you had me lmfao with that kicking him in the nuts comment

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Yeah my set up is in the living room and I do think going the full SVS route would be glorious and just look killer as well. So I'm okay with it not working out. Thanks for your feedback tho you had me lmfao with that kicking him in the nuts comment
Man, I just got off the phone with my local guy. He and his boss both list their homes in the fire here, so they're shutting down there store. Consequently he's going to be letting his Monitor Audio stuff go for 50% off. I don't know that I can pass that up. Support my neighbors and get an amazing deal.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Man, I just got off the phone with my local guy. He and his boss both list their homes in the fire here, so they're shutting down there store. Consequently he's going to be letting his Monitor Audio stuff go for 50% off. I don't know that I can pass that up. Support my neighbors and get an amazing deal.
Damn that's a steal see helping others helps you bro Lol. My sales rep at my audio store here in town can give me some awesome deals on stuff sometimes I'm waiting on Christmas to get close he usually has some good stuff going on around that time

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis