Has gene ever used wire world cables?

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Thanks for that. :)
Yes I actually hook up my PC inline on my freezer. I let them simmer for a couple of months then on to a cooker for 15 days or so.. It really helps to plug them in and finally let them SETTLE for 7 to 10 days.

The gear I use is pretty sensitive to crappy cables. Good cables well built. It's hard for me to tell the difference..

I can sure hear a crappy one though.. LOL Cary valve gear don't like crappy cables, at ALL. Mac not so picky..

Denon, HK, Marantz, a lot of the AV stuff it's tough to hear or justify. My Krell HT gear likes good interconnects.. There is a few that benefit and a LOT more that don't.. All the old Mac analog C45 stuff like that.. They liked good beefy cables..

I like trinural analog processors, Mac, Krell, and SST all had good ones. You better use good cabling.. I didn't say expensive, I said GOOD

There is a reason for LS100 JBLs. Adcoms and coat hangers. Pretty good actually. Just High Fidelity doesn't come to mind. JBL D44000 Paragon that's a different story, maybe #9 Marantz valve amps.

I love stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that. :)
Yes I actually hook up my PC inline on my freezer. I let them simmer for a couple of months then on to a cooker for 15 days or so.. It really helps to plug them in and finally let them SETTLE for 7 to 10 days.

The gear I use is pretty sensitive to crappy cables. Good cables well built. It's hard for me to tell the difference..

I can sure hear a crappy one though.. LOL Cary valve gear don't like crappy cables, at ALL. Mac not so picky..

Denon, HK, Marantz, a lot of the AV stuff it's tough to hear or justify. My Krell HT gear likes good interconnects.. There is a few that benefit and a LOT more that don't.. All the old Mac analog C45 stuff like that.. They liked good beefy cables..

I like trinural analog processors, Mac, Krell, and SST all had good ones. You better use good cabling.. I didn't say expensive, I said GOOD

There is a reason for LS100 JBLs. Adcoms and coat hangers. Pretty good actually. Just High Fidelity doesn't come to mind. JBL D44000 Paragon that's a different story, maybe #9 Marantz valve amps.

I love stuff.
You're odd is the best I can come up with. Remember, I offer the urination type seasoning for audiophools into their cabling. It makes a difference, and if you can't hear it, well, you probably need a more resolving system with better gear than that stuff you mentioned.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Cary valve gear, Herron, Mac, Krell, Decware, Pass, and a few others are quit revealing. There is no hiding anything with 93% sensitivity @ 8 ohms, small planars are pretty revealing. I've found nothing faster or better for that matter. I do use Strathearns from time to time..

It's kind of like room treatment. I use Helmholtz method. I don't argue with people, they have the right to be wrong.

Grid, vibration and acoustic control are all part of great sound. Processors have their place, after you fix the room and the other two things. Vibration being a biggie. TTs and neighbors, both are fixed.. I just start at the beginning first not at the end..

Lets just say I'm a little complicated, I try to do thing in order. I guess that would seem odd to some.. It took me a while to figure my stuff out, it wasn't in a book either.

Did I mention I was pretty hard headed when I was young, I'm not now.. I'll try all most anything. I don't trust anyone after a life time of being a mechanic either.. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cary valve gear, Herron, Mac, Krell, Decware, Pass, and a few others are quit revealing. There is no hiding anything with 93% sensitivity @ 8 ohms, small planars are pretty revealing. I've found nothing faster or better for that matter. I do use Strathearns from time to time..

It's kind of like room treatment. I use Helmholtz method. I don't argue with people, they have the right to be wrong.

Grid, vibration and acoustic control are all part of great sound. Processors have their place, after you fix the room and the other two things. Vibration being a biggie. TTs and neighbors, both are fixed.. I just start at the beginning first not at the end..

Lets just say I'm a little complicated, I try to do thing in order. I guess that would seem odd to some.. It took me a while to figure my stuff out, it wasn't in a book either.

Did I mention I was pretty hard headed when I was young, I'm not now.. I'll try all most anything. I don't trust anyone after a life time of being a mechanic either.. :)
You are amusing at least. Deluded a bit, tho....

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
It comes and goes. Maybe I mixed up the green one with the green and white one. :) A lot of head bumps being an old mechanic.

A lot of cable repair over a 50 year period too. AC on the outside, DC on the inside. Does that make since?

Field coil speakers.. WEs, my Dads speakers.. Boy I got fried on those as a kid.. Smoke came out of my ears.. WOW.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It comes and goes. Maybe I mixed up the green one with the green and white one. :) A lot of head bumps being an old mechanic.

A lot of cable repair over a 50 year period too. AC on the outside, DC on the inside. Does that make since?

Field coil speakers.. WEs, my Dads speakers.. Boy I got fried on those as a kid.. Smoke came out of my ears.. WOW.
Pretty good budget for a mechanic. Audio cable based on what you hear? Seriously?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...I didnt think asking about some wires that everyone will see would be this big of a problem for something so small. I get spending f tons on wire is a joke. But when u see the wires u tell me would u rather see zip cord or some nice braided wire.
Nobody is saying to use zip cord, so stop with that silliness. They are just saying that you have a lot of options available to you and wasting money is (mostly) frowned upon by most here, but none of us are spending your money.

The reality is, that cables running across a floor will never be ideal or look good, but the professional way to clean up the look is simply to purchase some snake skin and run it around whatever cables you purchase. This is the way we have done stuff, across multiple installation companies I have been with, for decades.

Snake skin (braided sleeving) is available in tons of colors to fit the space, at various widths and lengths to suit your specific needs. It hides ALL the cabling and allows for a uniform look to your setup without overspending.

This is just an example: https://www.amazon.com/100ft-Expandable-Braided-Sleeving-BlackRed/dp/B075VR7ZQS/ref=asc_df_B075VR7ZQS/

You can affix the ends with zip ties or with shrink wrap, but it is much better to do it this way then to spend a ton on cabling that doesn't improve your setup. Get a reasonable shielded power cable, then put snake skin on all of it and call it done. Looks like it's only about 13 bucks to add a 1" wrap for whatever you end up with.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree. The wire they use on those cables is something like 22ga and is just too small to be taken seriously. Never had an issue with one of those cables, but still.
It's low level audio signal! The gauge has nothing to do with sound quality.

Cut an expensive cable to check the gauge- you might be surprised to see that it's probably no heavier. If you're familiar with the AudioQuest crap that has push-on RCA plugs, that had 24ga wire and it was damn near impossible to terminate.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Pretty good budget for a mechanic. Audio cable based on what you hear? Seriously?
Well how do you pick your cables? I'm serious. Do you pick the ones that sound better, or worse. I hope you're not saying they all sound the same, are you? There is little difference in some cables. There are combinations that just don't work WELL together. Some materials like OFC copper will work anywhere. It doesn't mean it can't be improved a WHOLE LOT. Some gear is very revealing some is just NOT.. The gear I use IS pretty picky..

It's only as good as the materials you start and end up with.. I deal with more crosstalk than anything.. But some gear I listen to is close to 100 years old..

I listen to my father's Western Electrics when I'm at that location. I sold them to a fellow 25 yeas ago. All solid core wire with cotton/silk insulation.. I wouldn't dare change the voicing (wire) on those speakers.

The repair I hate the worst. I fixed a channel for you, your all fixed up. They don't sound the same, BUT all caps and resistors sound the same RIGHT.. Funny. I just share what KEEPS me out of trouble and in the Pink so to speak..

I really love the use of aluminum/copper clad. That really works and SOUNDS well. Reminds me of wearing poorly designed ear plugs.. :) It burns too, like on fire. No thanks.. Diesel fuel and aluminum make for a hot fire.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well how do you pick your cables? I'm serious. Do you pick the ones that sound better, or worse. I hope you're not saying they all sound the same, are you? There is little difference in some cables. There are combinations that just don't work WELL together. Some materials like OFC copper will work anywhere. It doesn't mean it can't be improved a WHOLE LOT. Some gear is very revealing some is just NOT.. The gear I use IS pretty picky..

It's only as good as the materials you start and end up with.. I deal with more crosstalk than anything.. But some gear I listen to is close to 100 years old..

I listen to my father's Western Electrics when I'm at that location. I sold them to a fellow 25 yeas ago. All solid core wire with cotton/silk insulation.. I wouldn't dare change the voicing (wire) on those speakers.

The repair I hate the worst. I fixed a channel for you, your all fixed up. They don't sound the same, BUT all caps and resistors sound the same RIGHT.. Funny. I just share what KEEPS me out of trouble and in the Pink so to speak..

I really love the use of aluminum/copper clad. That really works and SOUNDS well. Reminds me of wearing poorly designed ear plugs.. :) It burns too, like on fire. No thanks.. Diesel fuel and aluminum make for a hot fire.
You've lost it? Auditioning cables is fairly daft unless something is insufficient or broken about them. What a waste of time. However everyone here at Audioholics would love to see you prove that you can hear these differences in a properly conducted dbx test. No one else has been able to do it, you could be first!

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I've lost it? What did I loose? In stead of saying you test a different way, I'm loosing it? I'll offer my way. I'm sure whoever want's to test STUFF has great intentions. I want to know how it sounds.. If it nulls out or has good measurement it's a good bet it it won't burn up your amplifier. NOTHING ELSE. THEN I listen.. Never more than 15 minutes, never over 75 db., Every hour or so..

I've set up gear, speakers and rooms many times we use to use a simple switch box and listen to the same track on several mediums, too. The amazing part is how it changed over time if you left them hooked up for a couple of months. 3-4 cable sets for EX.

I can drag out my old null tester and a scope or two. You won't see a single change on a scope or any test equipment, but even untrained mechanics (kids with ears that haven't been ruined) can hear a difference, with MY gear and speakers. With the new HT stuff there is too much correction and STUFF in the path. Some one might hear a difference, weather good or bad, I'm not so sure.. Me I'd doubt I could.

It's like saying valves don't sound different.. I run some picky valve gear, Cary for one.
SLP-05 and a pair of V12r THEY will let you know everything there is to know about crappy ICs, PC and rattling fuses that sound like crap for 2 hours after the element quits vibrating upon startup. The reason dampening and thermal transmitting medium stabilize the thermal element in a stick fuse.. There is a REASON this stuff works. Weather you like to learn about it, it's up to you.. I just happen to be retired and I did it for a living. Fixing STUFF and knowing that it is fixed.. I can still FEEL the right stuff to. Daft? You can have that back, :) Different, maybe, DAFT? Isn't that an insult? Just askin'

A lot of the newer weaves and ribbons are hands down great sounding cables. Dirt cheap to boot.

I find terminal ends to make the biggest difference. NO SOLDER. I use Copper, Copper with silver clad or silver, nothing else.. No rhodium, or gold, or nickel or brass or caca or dodo or buggers or anything else.. Graphite goop/ enhancer/ stuff.. 50 ton press.. pressure weld or screws.

If there is no difference in sound, why on earth would anyone waste the money on anything? I don't spend big bucks.. 1-200.00 for GREAT 3 meter speaker cables. 39-59.00 for RCA or XLRs. OCC/teflon weaves with my termination..

I'm not into sound effect, but great music I'm all ears. I don't care if it's 50 channels. I use a Victrola at Christmas and have for 45 years.. No wire needed.

UN Like Mr Tweak, I'm pretty skeptical. My ears were the way I made my living. Seldom did I say it was fixed and it was NOT.. Flying BACK to a drill rig was kind of frowned on at 10K a pop, 25 years ago, now it's a lot more. There is a lot of cabling on those things, just to keep them stable.. Making a right hand turn at a 1000 feet below the drill surface, that's different.

Stereo stuff is fun, I'm retired now I just tinker.

We're heading the same direction, just a different path so to speak.. AY? :) Wait a few years maybe you'll get the chance to slow down a bit.. I enjoy the "getting there" too.

Regards

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've lost it? What did I loose? In stead of saying you test a different way, I'm loosing it? I'll offer my way. I'm sure whoever want's to test STUFF has great intentions. I want to know how it sounds.. If it nulls out or has good measurement it's a good bet it it won't burn up your amplifier. NOTHING ELSE. THEN I listen.. Never more than 15 minutes, never over 75 db., Every hour or so..

I've set up gear, speakers and rooms many times we use to use a simple switch box and listen to the same track on several mediums, too. The amazing part is how it changed over time if you left them hooked up for a couple of months. 3-4 cable sets for EX.

I can drag out my old null tester and a scope or two. You won't see a single change on a scope or any test equipment, but even untrained mechanics (kids with ears that haven't been ruined) can hear a difference, with MY gear and speakers. With the new HT stuff there is too much correction and STUFF in the path. Some one might hear a difference, weather good or bad, I'm not so sure.. Me I'd doubt I could.

It's like saying valves don't sound different.. I run some picky valve gear, Cary for one.
SLP-05 and a pair of V12r THEY will let you know everything there is to know about crappy ICs, PC and rattling fuses that sound like crap for 2 hours after the element quits vibrating upon startup. The reason dampening and thermal transmitting medium stabilize the thermal element in a stick fuse.. There is a REASON this stuff works. Weather you like to learn about it, it's up to you.. I just happen to be retired and I did it for a living. Fixing STUFF and knowing that it is fixed.. I can still FEEL the right stuff to. Daft? You can have that back, :) Different, maybe, DAFT? Isn't that an insult? Just askin'

A lot of the newer weaves and ribbons are hands down great sounding cables. Dirt cheap to boot.

I find terminal ends to make the biggest difference. NO SOLDER. I use Copper, Copper with silver clad or silver, nothing else.. No rhodium, or gold, or nickel or brass or caca or dodo or buggers or anything else.. Graphite goop/ enhancer/ stuff.. 50 ton press.. pressure weld or screws.

If there is no difference in sound, why on earth would anyone waste the money on anything? I don't spend big bucks.. 1-200.00 for GREAT 3 meter speaker cables. 39-59.00 for RCA or XLRs. OCC/teflon weaves with my termination..

I'm not into sound effect, but great music I'm all ears. I don't care if it's 50 channels. I use a Victrola at Christmas and have for 45 years.. No wire needed.

UN Like Mr Tweak, I'm pretty skeptical. My ears were the way I made my living. Seldom did I say it was fixed and it was NOT.. Flying BACK to a drill rig was kind of frowned on at 10K a pop, 25 years ago, now it's a lot more. There is a lot of cabling on those things, just to keep them stable.. Making a right hand turn at a 1000 feet below the drill surface, that's different.

Stereo stuff is fun, I'm retired now I just tinker.

We're heading the same direction, just a different path so to speak.. AY? :) Wait a few years maybe you'll get the chance to slow down a bit.. I enjoy the "getting there" too.

Regards
Uh huh.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Nobody is saying to use zip cord, so stop with that silliness.
For loudspeaker cables 'zip cord' is just fine. (so are AC power cords)
In speaker cables, the only thing that matters is the total end-to-end resistance of the cable.
True, most 'zip cords' are rather small.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For loudspeaker cables 'zip cord' is just fine. (so are AC power cords)
In speaker cables, the only thing that matters is the total end-to-end resistance of the cable.
True, most 'zip cords' are rather small.
I didn't say it can't be used, I'm saying that it isn't what people are suggesting. Zip cord vs. speaker wire... it's all copper and these days it typically has nearly the exact same price. So, it isn't recommended, and nobody said to just use zip cord as the solution. The proper answer was given: Use the appropriate cable and don't overspend for no reason.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I'm saying you can spend the same money and get better result. Some of the fancy ZIP cord is pretty expensive.

Some of the weaves and ribbons are inexpensive and the main improvement besides good cable material is adding better terminal ends. The cost is pretty close. You just need to pay attention to the details.

Next thing they will be saying is you can install non directional caps in either direction. Not in my builds you don't.

There is a proper and improper way for simple noise rejection alone.. The older you get the more you learn and hopefully remember.

Personally I like exposed cable art. On the other hand a rats nest laying all over the place is pretty repulsive. I really dislike that..

There is a guy on AG that has a 500.00 system. Things everywhere. He Loves it.. Who cares, I like the guys ideas. The mess not so much.. He is a prince though..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis