Has anyone heard the bookshelves/center from SVS?

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a pretty inexpensive solution for a couple of bookshelves for l/r surrounds and someone suggested these as possible solutions.

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

I was also checking out the sale over at AV123 on some nice dipoles:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13

I will eventually move up to 7.1, so if I get either dipoles or directs for this current purchase, would it be best to get the same speaker for the other two rear speakers?

I don't want to use my current mains as rears, because my listening position wouldn't allow that. Too much in the way, and too small of an area.

Budget for the two rears is maxed at 350.

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
Numen', if there's any way you can come up with $500 for two pair of the ELT dipoles at AV123, problem solved -- you'll have EIGHT 5" and EIGHT tweeters for $500. That's a lot of drivers to make a surround sound field.

If you can't afford to get four at once -- well, the RS300 surround which is almost identical and is not being discontinued lists for $399 @ pair, should the ELTs be sold out when it comes time to get the second pair...

Or two pair of the SVS will come in under $500 -- you get half as many drivers pointing in half as many directions, and direct radiators are tougher to make work in the rear unless you have a good amount of space behind your seating position.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
wow, that's actually within my overall budget! I can just allot the remaining money that would go to a center speaker to those...

heheheh, diabolical planning is now within real reach...thanks gun!

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
King of Numenor, wait! Don't give up a center to get rear surrounds! "Spend your money up front" is still the best overall advice -- you'll get a LOT more out of a good center and sticking with 5.1. MOST of a movie mix is in the center -- it's not optional -- rears are.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
Hmph. Some king I am. Anyway, you're right...I've debated for a while which ones I want to get, but I guess I'll get the center at the same time as the rears. Don't want to be unbalanced.

Also, what do you think about 6.1 versus 7.1? Is splitting up the rear center a real advantage in some situations?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Monopoles are not harder to implement as surrounds, and in fact with more mounting options, I would actually say they are easier because you have more control over where the sound goes. For 7.1 I would not use bi/dipoles for the rears unless the room is absolutely enormous.

The ELT surrounds are quite decent, but make sure you check the specs - they are quite large as well. Mounting options too - they come with a built in single point to hang them and you don't want to be drilling into those nice gloss cabinets if that mounting scheme doesn't work for you.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
Back to the thread issue, which I didn't explain, has anyone heard the bookshelves/speakers from SVS?

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
Wow, now I feel like a total idiot. I did a full forum search and looked at the reviews for something like this. Thanks garcia.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
The Numenorian said:
Wow, now I feel like a total idiot. I did a full forum search and looked at the reviews for something like this. Thanks garcia.

"And now you see that evil will always win, because good is DUMB" -Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
So does that mean you're not evil? :D

I love Spaceballs, most Mel Brooks movies for that matter. Spaceballs just has classic line after line. One night I'm walking by this kid about 7-8 years old messin' with his brother and I hear him say "I'm a Mawg: half-man, half-dog, I'm my own best friend...", that killed me... :p

Now back to your regularly sheduled thread.... -TD

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
haha. who doesn't like that movie?

I've read the review and decided to either get 2 rears and a center w/stands or save up some more and get the 5 channel system so that I can move up to 7.1- HUZZAH!

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
Dammit...Murphy's Law works every time.

Oh well, lemme check these out...wow, those look like a real possibility. Back to waiting...ugh!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis