M

Milhouse

Audiophyte
Anyone use a Harmony Remote? I've heard good things about them and would love to have a universal remote that really works! Especially with Tivo, Dish network, etc.

JessyMcK

JessyMcK

Audioholic Intern
i just got the RCA 9-IN-1 TOUCHSCREEN LEARNING UNIVERSAL REMOTE W/RF
Part Number 189-065 from parts express for $60. so far it works great, it does everything you programm it to do.

B

Bencher

Audiophyte
I received my Harmony 680 a couple of weeks ago. It was a little difficult to program it via my computer at first but everything is working great. They have great tech support if you have any questions too!

With the touch of one button, this remote will turn on my TV, receiver and satellite receiver and tune it in to the station of my choice. Works the same way if I want to listen to a cd or watch a DVD or VHS. I eliminated 4 other remotes so to me, this has been $ well spent!

L

lynn2c

Audioholic Intern
I"m using a harmony remote. I think it works just fine. It doesn't always turn everything on correctly when you use of the macro buttons, but the help button always takes care of it. Programming is relatively easy via their website. It does devour batteries though, better have a couple sets of rechargables around

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Harmony Remote after several months of use

My girlfriend wanted the remote clutter removed, so I ordered the Harmony 680. It works great for her. The programming over the website was relatively simple, although just like anything, the more you play with it, the more efficiently you can tweak it.

My Denon 2910, Yam RX-V1500 and Sony 27" work fine with the remote. The only drawback, IMO, is that if I want to tweak and go to the LCD panel on the remote to find the proper command, it takes me some time to do this and the commands sometimes don't fit in the screen, so it's difficult to know what command to give. It's easier and quicker to go to the drawer, pull the correct remote, and do what I need to do. However, this negates the need for a universal remote and my $120 bucks is wasted, so I intend to figure this out and make it work efficiently for me. So, it's simple to set up and use if you're not constantly tweaking this and that, like I seem to do.

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
I picked up a Harmony 680 a few months back and I think it works pretty well. It is the first remote I've been able to get to work with all my stuff (all previous remotes seemed to work on all but one peice of equipment so I'd always have at least two remotes). I really find the media button very useful, I have it programed for all the Dish Network/Sirius music stations. Now I don't need the TV on to see which station I'm on,... it all shows up in the led screen.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
lynn2c said:
I"m using a harmony remote. I think it works just fine. It doesn't always turn everything on correctly when you use of the macro buttons, but the help button always takes care of it. Programming is relatively easy via their website. It does devour batteries though, better have a couple sets of rechargables around
I had that problem with the remote not always turning on or off my Harman Kardon recvr when necessary. I found that you can adjust the delay time between commands to be a little longer then default (in programming on the web) and this completely solves the problem. I also had a problem with channel flashback/previous channel on my HDtivo with this remote, it would send the command too long and switch to the previous channel and then back to the channel I was on...again I solved this with an adjustment on the web programming screens. Mine is a 688 and it doesn't eat batteries either. I go thru a set every 3 months with moderate daily use and lots of tivo use AND I still have the backlight enabled the way it defaults from Harmony (this can also be changed to preserve battery life). It's the best remote I've tried up to this point and it's the ONLY remote I've ever had that guest can use without my help. Don't pay $250 for a 688 or 680...they can easily be found for $150-ish at reputable dealers like newegg.com.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis