Harman Kardon Receivers

J

jealkon

Enthusiast
How do Harman Kardon receivers rate up against Denon, Onlyo, etc? My son works for a company whereby he can purchase infinty and JBL speakers at something like a 40% discount, and HK receivers for about 42% discount. I've already looked at an Onkyo 707 for about $600 but if I can get into a similar/better HK receiver for less, I'd go that route. Most likly the receiver will be powering SV STS fronts and SBS surrounds with a SV sub

Last edited:
dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard anything negative about HK, except for there crappy menu's. I guess it would come down to what options each on has. What model of HK are you looking at?

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
How do Harman Kardon receivers rate up against Denon, Onlyo, etc? My son works for a company whereby he can purchase infinty and JBL speakers at something like a 40% discount, and HK receivers for about 42% discount. I've already looked at an Onkyo 707 for about $600 but if I can get into a similar/better HK receiver for less, I'd go that route. Most likly the receiver will be powering SV STS fronts and SBS surrounds with a SV sub
I'd suggest an Onkyo instead. It's got a much better remote and all the features you could want.

HK Receivers are usually cheapest from the infinity ebay store.

Make sure you compare the prices to the auctions as the receivers are generally the same quality.

Buy Onkyo receivers from only accessories4less.com they almost always have the best prices.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR707/Onkyo/Tx-sr707-Thx-Select2-Plus-Certified-Hdmi-V1.3a-7.2-channel-A/v-Receiver/1.html
it's 520;)

But I'd suggest you consider last years models. They don't change much from year to year and you can get a 806 which is a step up from the 707 for the same price

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR806B/Onkyo/Tx-sr806-Thx-Ultra2-130w-X-7ch-Hdmi-806-Receiver-Black-Free-Ship-/1.html

I've used H/K(current receiver) and Onkyo. Onkyo receivers are better IMO(more user friendly, better looking, better controller, more reliable hdmi handshake, better menus)

Now the H/K has the logic 7 DSP(my favorite), but I don't think it's enough to warrant you passing on the Onkyo.

M

mnatiq

Audioholic
I'd suggest an Onkyo instead. It's got a much better remote and all the features you could want.

HK Receivers are usually cheapest from the infinity ebay store.

Make sure you compare the prices to the auctions as the receivers are generally the same quality.

Buy Onkyo receivers from only accessories4less.com they almost always have the best prices.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR707/Onkyo/Tx-sr707-Thx-Select2-Plus-Certified-Hdmi-V1.3a-7.2-channel-A/v-Receiver/1.html
it's 520;)

But I'd suggest you consider last years models. They don't change much from year to year and you can get a 806 which is a step up from the 707 for the same price

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR806B/Onkyo/Tx-sr806-Thx-Ultra2-130w-X-7ch-Hdmi-806-Receiver-Black-Free-Ship-/1.html

I've used H/K(current receiver) and Onkyo. Onkyo receivers are better IMO(more user friendly, better looking, better controller, more reliable hdmi handshake, better menus)

Now the H/K has the logic 7 DSP(my favorite), but I don't think it's enough to warrant you passing on the Onkyo.
i found that the HK 354 has a better remote compared to onkyo (sold my 806), also the menu is personal opinion. u have a older model and so that might have a different remote compared to my HK, wait i had a 247 (my first receiver) it wasn't that bad, however i did u a harmony universal remote. YES, the 247 is ugly, but for its time it was actually nice looking, i think if u compare the new HK's and new onkyo's, the HK's are much better looking.

1 thing is onkyo has a lot of extras (hdmi's, THX) but overall i like my HK receiver more.

i prefer HK,

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I'm a huge Onkyo fan and always will be, I own two of them, but do not get any of the XX6 models. For some reason Onkyo went cheap on the amp section during these models. If you want an older Onkyo try and find a XX5 series, the new XX7 series has the same amps as the 5 series and many people think that the 5 was the best ever, until the new 7 series just came out.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I think lsiberian is right in general on his prior post, plus the link provided about the Onkyo TX-SR806 (refurb, but still with a great warranty from a solid and reputable vendor), makes this deal a very sweet one indeed.

But if you opt for HK, and you can get a great deal similar to the Onkyo, there will be nothing wrong with that.

Still, at only $530, the Onkyo 806 get my vote. :)

Bob

cjsiv

cjsiv

Junior Audioholic
I had and H/K 230 for about 5 years. My friend has the 240. I had an onkyo 606 for about a week before I returned it. Sounded ok, but ran super hot and had lots of glitches. Video processing was a joke. The power section in H/K is phenomenal. I know they had some hdmi issues last year but I thought that was taken care of with this latest firmware update. I would choose H/K over onkyo hands down quality wise. But then again, onkyo has the audyssey processing which is absolutely amazing imo. I would lean towards H/K, but that's my opinion.....

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
^ I noticed that you own the Denon AVR-1910 from the components enumerated in your signature???

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a huge Onkyo fan and always will be, I own two of them, but do not get any of the XX6 models. For some reason Onkyo went cheap on the amp section during these models. If you want an older Onkyo try and find a XX5 series, the new XX7 series has the same amps as the 5 series and many people think that the 5 was the best ever, until the new 7 series just came out.
Not all the XX6 models skimped on their amp section, but the 806 probably has a better section than the 707. If you really like the 5 series the 905's are still going for 950. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
i found that the HK 354 has a better remote compared to onkyo (sold my 806), also the menu is personal opinion. u have a older model and so that might have a different remote compared to my HK, wait i had a 247 (my first receiver) it wasn't that bad, however i did u a harmony universal remote. YES, the 247 is ugly, but for its time it was actually nice looking, i think if u compare the new HK's and new onkyo's, the HK's are much better looking.

1 thing is onkyo has a lot of extras (hdmi's, THX) but overall i like my HK receiver more.

i prefer HK,
have you tried cable boxes on the 354 model to see if they have better handshake?

If so I may consider getting an upgrade one of these days. No doubt the 354 is a great receiver. I'll probably get a URC remote soon anyway. I'd suggest that.

But the 705 receiver was amazing. I'd give my right pinky to have it back. :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't heard anything negative about HK, except for there crappy menu's.
IMO, the new HK receivers have the best and easiest GUI out there right now. Not sure where I'd place the older ones.

M

mnatiq

Audioholic
have you tried cable boxes on the 354 model to see if they have better handshake?

If so I may consider getting an upgrade one of these days. No doubt the 354 is a great receiver. I'll probably get a URC remote soon anyway. I'd suggest that.

But the 705 receiver was amazing. I'd give my right pinky to have it back. :D
no i have not hooked up any cable boxes, i plan 2 do it soon (december, new place).

btw i went to harman kardon's website and they have the brand new hk avr 7550HD up there, but its still not for sale anywhere. i checked every website possible. went 2 the local futureshop and they dont know when its coming either.

according to harman;s website its has 110 watts per channel and is 7.2. i have never seen hk avr's with this much power in recent memory. i have been reading on a lot of places that this will be HK's best avr. however the price is somewhere around 2 grand for canada.:(

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
IMO, the new HK receivers have the best and easiest GUI out there right now. Not sure where I'd place the older ones.
IMO, the new Onkyo receivers have a very intuitive and nice looking GUI.
Better or worse (GUI) than the other receivers from other manufacturers? I don't know, but I sure love them though (GUI, and much much more...). :)

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
For less than a thousand bucks, I will get the Onkyo TX-NR1007, period.

For about $500, I will get the Onkyo TX-SR707, or the TX-SR806 (or the 805, if you can find it).

* But that's just me. :)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
no i have not hooked up any cable boxes, i plan 2 do it soon (december, new place).

btw i went to harman kardon's website and they have the brand new hk avr 7550HD up there, but its still not for sale anywhere. i checked every website possible. went 2 the local futureshop and they dont know when its coming either.

according to harman;s website its has 110 watts per channel and is 7.2. i have never seen hk avr's with this much power in recent memory. i have been reading on a lot of places that this will be HK's best avr. however the price is somewhere around 2 grand for canada.:(
Major strengths of the 7550HD are..
  • High Power & High Current Amplifiers
  • OSD/GUI is HD and Alpha-Blend
  • Logic 7
  • Dolby Volume
  • Internet Radio
  • USB Host
  • Ethernet
  • Dual Subwoofers

Just my $0.015... ;)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Few questions & thoughts.

How much the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD is going for? (Street price of course.)
I know that it normally retails for a whoping $2,799! :eek:

* For that kind of price, I'd rather get the Onkyo TX-NR5007 ($2,699 list).
Probably more like $1,999 street.

* Or the Onkyo TX-NR3007 for about $1,499 street.

And what about the new line of Harman Kardon Receivers? (AVR1600/2600 & 3600)
In particular the HK AVR3600?

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
How much the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD is going for? (Street price of course.)
I know that it normally retails for a whoping $2,799! :eek:

* For that kind of price, I'd rather get the Onkyo TX-NR5007 ($2,699 list).
Probably more like $1,999 street.

* Or the Onkyo TX-NR3007 for about $1,499 street.

And what about the new line of Harman Kardon Receivers? (AVR1600/2600 & 3600)
In particular the HK AVR3600?
In the USA, almost nobody sells @ SRP..
I have seen the 7550HD can be had with discounts of 20-25%..
We have been using 1 for about 3 months and it has been doing fine, the Dolby Volume and Logic 7 are most impressive..

Just my $0.015.. ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Major strengths of the 7550HD are..
  • High Power & High Current Amplifiers
  • OSD/GUI is HD and Alpha-Blend
  • Logic 7
  • Dolby Volume
  • Internet Radio
  • USB Host
  • Ethernet
  • Dual Subwoofers

Just my $0.015... ;)
I'd list the durability of it's amp section as a probable strength.

But it's EQ system will be better too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis