Harman Kardon AVR1700, any opinions?

D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
i'm selling my current setup, an Onkyo TX SR508 and Infinity TSS450 speaker system. i was originally trying to sell just the speakers, but i quickly realized that the average Joe wants to buy a package deal, so the 508 is up too...

anyway, i've seen on eBay that i can buy a factory refurbed HK AVR1700 for $200 shipped and was wondering what the general consensus on this receiver is. i've also looked at the Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz equivelents... what do you all think?

my new speaker setup will be a pair of BIC DV62si's with matching center for the fronts, Dayton Audio B652's for the surrounds, and a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for the sub stage...

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Audioholics has a very "basic" paper on it.

Looks like a nice budget starter AVR. You may also want to look for a used AVR2600 or AVR3600 from Harman... More power because it's older, so you get a notch or two higher in the product range, yet you get a relatively modern system which includes 3D support when firmware is updated, and old school amplification circuitry.

Can't say much about the other receivers, but after owning 5 Harman Kardons, of which, 2 that I still own and use daily, I've alway been quite happy

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diceman1000

Enthusiast
Well, I ended up with the H/K 1700 and the more time i spend with this thing, the more i like it. it absolutely kills my old Onkyo in the SQ department and the vTuner is AWESOME!!! i also really,REALLY like the fact that you can adjust tone/surround mode/etc. for each source individually. i've had 0 problems yet. i did run the ez set and then reset the unit and calibrated myself, it sounds great either way. also, i've seen all over the web that the 1700 has no direct audio mode when in fact it does, it's the tone out setting. also, for those that complain about HDMI pass thru, there is an option in the system settings tom pass HDMI audio to the TV, while i realize this isn't truly pass thru, one could always turn the receiver volume down and use the TV speakers.<br/>

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis